Hip-hop is dead and buried - but what killt it?

What put the final dagger in hip-hop

• Twitter

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • YouTube

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Broadband internet in general

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • It was just bound to happen - cycle of life

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • hip-hop aint dead brah! backpackin in this thread alpha centauri flow!

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
wack rappers from the south aint an option? sidenote, there are dope ass rappers down south, but the pocket of garbage coming out of there 4-5 years ago was almost a death blow

Gifted one

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
With Currensy, Kendrick, Schoolboy Q, ab-soul, ASAP, Krit, I don't see how hip hop is dead, and you still have heavyweights like Nas, Kanye, and Ross still making good music, I can't see how people think hip-hop is dead

Hussein Fonzarelli

The Whitey Corp.
Daps
With Currensy, Kendrick, Schoolboy Q, ab-soul, ASAP, Krit, I don't see how hip hop is dead, and you still have heavyweights like Nas, Kanye, and Ross still making good music, I can't see how people think hip-hop is dead

I want to see youth in hip-hop.

Hip-hop is for kids.

Why is it mandatory to be 35 to be "IT" in the rap game today?

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
nah, big business has been in rap since the late 80s

Yeah but they didn't get smart about rap until the late-90s...

They were signing all kinds of artists when they saw rap was viable, but they were a lot less savvy about it back then. So they'd sign good artists, bad artists, artists who had no star power, artists who were born to be stars- and put them all out. They were throwin' all those records out and whatever stuck, stuck. But after a while, they realized they could cut cost and make more money by making sure everything they put out was marketable and was definitely gonna sell lots of records. So that's when the music got a lil' less diverse and a lot more formulaic... eventually leading to where things are now. Not that good music doesn't still come out, but after labels figured out the formulas that worked- that pretty much killed the way they signed and put out artists.

Gifted one

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I want to see youth in hip-hop.

Hip-hop is for kids.

Why is it mandatory to be 35 to be "IT" in the rap game today?

Age doesn't matter to me, you can be 45 years old, and if the music is good, I'll rock to it. And Hip-hop still has a bright future, its just that now a days, you have to dig a little deeper

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Age doesn't matter to me, you can be 45 years old, and if the music is good, I'll rock to it. And Hip-hop still has a bright future, its just that now a days, you have to dig a little deeper

And on top of that, I can't even say 'you gotta dig deeper' anymore... cause everything's right here on the net for everybody. Anybody who can't find something they like in 2012 just doesn't wanna find it and would rather complain.

infamous003

The New Style
Daps
Mountain climbers that play electric guitars

If u dont known what im getting at then your part of the reason why hip hop is dead

I don't even agree with hip-hop being dead and all that, that's a weak and lazy statement....but that being said, this made me laugh :ehh:

Gifted one

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
And on top of that, I can't even say 'you gotta dig deeper' anymore... cause everything's right here on the net for everybody. Anybody who can't find something they like in 2012 just doesn't wanna find it and would rather complain.

This year and last year you had Krit giving you good albums, Currensy dropping heat, Kendrick dropping Heat, Schoolboy, Ab-soul, and ASAP to name a few drop great work, Hip-Hop is still doing great to me, people just got to get adjusted to the times

stealthbomber

cruising at 30,000
Daps
Reppin
the best coast
i dont think anyone is denying that there is good hip hop out there. there's been great hip hop every year, the mainstreams been garbage but thats not new.

what people are saying is that as a whole hip hop is dead. back in the 90s pretty much everyone rapping was doing different, creative things.

now u got 100 rappers doing the same "swag" or "trap" gimmick.

no one is making the new thing. for about 20 years you couldnt go without hearing something different. now its all recycled from the past. no ones out there tryna be inventive anymore.

Hussein Fonzarelli

The Whitey Corp.
Daps
i dont think anyone is denying that there is good hip hop out there. there's been great hip hop every year, the mainstreams been garbage but thats not new.

what people are saying is that as a whole hip hop is dead. back in the 90s pretty much everyone rapping was doing different, creative things.

now u got 100 rappers doing the same "swag" or "trap" gimmick.

no one is making the new thing. for about 20 years you couldnt go without hearing something different. now its all recycled from the past. no ones out there tryna be inventive anymore.

Thats exactly what Im sayin.

Nobody wants to listen to some obscure soundcloud "real hiphop" fukk.

Back in the days (hate that term) you could listen to mainstream that wasnt wack.

That's what Im sayin.

Normal, non-Coli people dont got time to "dig deep into the crevasses of hip-hop" or they dont want to because .... well ... life is too short to make a science out of a fukkin rap music.

HoLLaBaCK

SOHH ICEY
Daps
Reppin
New York
It's not dead, but it damn sure ain't what it used to be.

I think two things have lead to the demise,

1. Lack of Originality/Diversity: These days everybody uses the same producers and rap about the same bullshyt. When somebody new comes and makes some noise it becomes the mad dash to co-op that sound and swag. I'm too young to be that guy but when I got into Hip-Hop u had tons of diversity, biting was actually frowned upon.

2. The Voice is Gone: You know the voice is gone when Kanye is the nikka that's considered a rebel so to speak. I mean then you had your party music (which is always needed), however hip-hop at its core is about the message. You had Public Enemy fighting the power, you had NWA saying fukk the police, you had your stop the violence movements and so on. Now the rebellion is manufactured, with as fukked up as this country is right now believe me these rappers have plenty of shyt to rap about.

3. Superhero Complex: Yeah I know I said 2 but fukk it. When i say superhero complex I mean now everybody is a super thug, weight moving, super pimp, who pops bottles all day and fukks bytch all night, and they smoke nothing but pounds of the finest of herb. That's dope and all and has its place but at a certain level I can't even relate. Now I had a good job and I make decent money but its still a struggle. Most of ya'll on here as much as u would never admit it are average Joes (just like me). I can't relate to thousand dollars tee's with no logos. Now this ain't hate, God bless these dudes for making to that level of life. I'm just saying that can't be all the music is about these days.

TheHomie

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Cali
:old::old::old::old:

This shyt make a nikka just wanna write
Reminisce when I had the morning appetite
Apple Jacks and after that I hit the TV Guide
Animaniac the only thing that gave me peace of mind
I’m a maniac when aiming at the enemy that lied
Tell a story that I'll never glory 25