Hip-hop demise fact #54325.

SoulController

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Almighty Garden State
ive always been a beathead, sure you have to put up with some wack bars but it beats listening to wack beats

i have literally 2x as many producer folders/mixes than i do mc mixes, they hold up better over time. not to say i dont appreciate a great song, Rakim and Nas are my 2 all time favs, but if the beat doesnt strike me chances are the song will collect dust as time goes on

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
People have been focusing in on beats/breaks since Hip Hop started. The whole rapping aspect didn't even take the forefront until later and it has never been the sole focus in Hip Hop. Catchy songs with beats people can bob their head to / dance to are just as much apart of Hip Hop as deep songs with interesting concepts that you have to analyze.

As far as party songs go, people really only care if the lyrics are catchy because you aren't trying to sit there breaking down lyrics on some :ohhh: instead of having a good time. The only party song I can think of that sends a message that people really like is 'White Lines' and half the muhfukkas are singing 'dont do it' sarcastically heh

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i somewhat agree with a few nuances.

beats matter the most but the rapping matter as well.

part of what makes it a hit a lot of the times is the voice and delivery. some beats are so undeniable that even the worst rapper will get a hit out of it. some are dope but still need the emcee to put that extra X factor in it to make it a hit. and some rappers are so dope with it that even with a slightly above average beat they could make a hit if they come up with a dope chorus and spot on delivery.

so while i agree that a lot of time the beat and arrangements are a big part of what makes a song dope, the emcee is not always negligible.

Daps
People have been focusing in on beats/breaks since Hip Hop started. The whole rapping aspect didn't even take the forefront until later and it has never been the sole focus in Hip Hop. Catchy songs with beats people can bob their head to / dance to are just as much apart of Hip Hop as deep songs with interesting concepts that you have to analyze.

As far as party songs go, people really only care if the lyrics are catchy because you aren't trying to sit there breaking down lyrics on some :ohhh: instead of having a good time. The only party song I can think of that sends a message that people really like is 'White Lines' and half the muhfukkas are singing 'dont do it' sarcastically heh

Why don't we have more beat-makers releasing full LPs?

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Why don't we have more beat-makers releasing full LPs?

Cuz they don't have the charisma of rappers. Rapper = front man. Producer = behind the scenes. People are dumb, they need to have a swagged out front man. Instrumental albums never sell

bangbreh

motorboat extraordinaire
Daps
Reppin
somewhere between a pair of D cup tiddies
beat production is progressing and regressing at the same time. :dwillhuh:

you got these copycat ass dudes unwilling to stray outta their range of what they feel is hot, just make $.
things regress because of that, everybody wanna make a beat like so and so...
then you got dudes who been producing for years and still wanna push the envelope ( sorry premier, you ain't in this ) el-p, prince paul, rza...

it doesn't take long to weed out the lazy ass homers or the bitin ass dudes.

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
Full circle. Back in the day the DJ was the star, the rapper was just someone who hyped the crowd up over the hot funky fresh beat.
Nothing new here.

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Similar maybe - but they BANG like never before. As I've said, the dynamics are ridiculous nowadays.

Take in considiration hip-hop totally dropped the "bop" shyt, who the fukk wants to hear that, so now it's either "hi-hat spaz" shyt or some David Guetta 4 by 4 house beat

And it sounds ridiculous. It moves the membrane to the edge of its functional traveling distance. Yet it doesnt lose hi hats.

Production is amazing nowadays. I'll dap the instrumentals nowadays...but MCs? fukk outta here.....we might as well cruise to beats only.

Maybe you never heard a Boom Bap beat on a good sound system because that drum is what made HIP HOP be known when you just heard the beat from a mile away. The sound you are referring to is more old school, drum machine sounds which got popular in the south and just house/electronic music. The reason why it "sounds" better is because it is all electronic sounds which make them clear and the music today is mastered to be LOUD which will catch your ear BUT this makes it TERRIBLE. There is NO DYNAMICS within the instruments which cause fatigue quickly. ANy DJ will tell you if you look at the wave forms of today's music it is bunched up together.

Productions is wack now for the most part and even when it's good it' the same feel I've heard before so it's not special to me just good. The best times of music since the 1900's have been when jazz was created because it was about real life shyt and banging sounds, the '70's because they used all types of sounds AND had crazy rhythm and melodies that were unheard of, and the '90's with rap music mainly the east coast(NWA was an exception) because the way they flipped samples and combined all of them was wild.

Production now is the same old shyt better technology to make it sound clear but people don't use it right which fukks it up. The record company just makes it loud and from what you believe and write in this post they are doing their job.

BTW, check this out:

The Loudness War

Last edited by a moderator: