Votes: 30 73.2%

• Total voters

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
At the end of this generation, it will be argued successfully that Microsoft has done more for the accessibility and ease of gaming than any other company before.

Nintendo has to consistently be brought to the future because of their stagnant policies. Nintendo has people in such a choke hold that they got paying for roms that zsnes was running 15 years ago. Nintendo Online is trash. Nearly everything Nintendo has introduced to gaming in a positive way was always included as a price hike and it is usually incremental in nature, outside of motion controls which was a risk. Had to buy a rumble pak, had to buy the N64 expansion pak to play Perfect Dark. They are their own entity and are set aside for this discussion.

Sony are the beneficiaries of Nintendo's stance of staying with cartridges. To their credit, they started ramping up their 1st party development to what it is right now around the PS3 era. Up until that time, they innovated with hardware. Ken Kuturagi had Sony taking more risks than they do now. Sure, they do the vr stuff but most people can't afford that so it's people like me that pay for it because I buy everything but you'll never see anything like twisted metal again or Socom again. They've basically fallen in where Nintendo landed many moons ago, an unwillingness to grow beyond what is expected from them with an aversion to projects that is ambitious but could fall so they are going to ride that formula into the ground. You will get your randoms like Dreams and Astrobot but those are far and few between now. We basically play different games in different universes with different characters that has its historical roots from Uncharted 1 as Sony continues to perfect the third person perspective game as Uncharted 1 is the genesis of where this all comes from.

Microsoft has done their fair share of good and bad in gaming.

Good: Hard Drive standard, introduced Xbox Live, forward think console design
Bad: Paying for Xbox Live, anemic 1st party support at various junctures.

The thing that it appears that most people don't get is that the reason why we get behind Microsoft or Phil Spencer is that Microsoft is the only company in gaming that can push gaming to an even higher level of elevation than it is right now. With enough time and effort, Microsoft can do everything Sony and Nintendo does while the inverse is not true. A decent amount of that goes back to the warchest but a lot of that is company DNA as well. If we were to start today, how long would it take to get the technology together to make a game like flight simulator a reality for Sony and/or Nintendo. The main parts of the tech, Microsoft did not have to outsource. They own Bing maps, they own Azure. That's just one of many examples. Microsoft is in risk taking mode now.

E4H9la2VkAAK9cC

What do you see here? Variety is what you see.

I'll likely never play Grounded or Psychonauts but w
for most appearances, they are well made games. Take Sea of Thieves. Microsoft stuck with it the same way Sony should have stuck with Dreams to make it a success. Other quality of life items such as preloading games, playing games on devices like phones/tablets/computers, Xbox design labs for custom controllers. With Microsoft being focused, operative word is focused, on gaming, there is more than can be done because Microsoft has more available to do more.

So, all in all, Microsoft has been uneven in their 20 year history with Xbox. After the end of this generation, they should be celebrating their greatest generation and be poised to never look back because their investments this gen will pay dividends in the next.

What Nintendo has mastered and never lagged behind on is fun gameplay that’s why they have IPs older than Microsoft and Sony’s entire console divisions that are still charting in 2021. That’s what everyone loses sight of in gaming but Nintendo is laser focused on “do I have fun playing this shyt?”.

You are saying that Microsoft is the only company that can push gaming forward but you are looking at anything BUT the actual games. Sony and Nintendo have better IPs than Microsoft and Sony is outclassing everyone with great story driven single player games.

You can create all the ancillary services you want with gamepass, xcloud, custom controllers, etc but the games is what’s gonna save you and that’s where Microsoft has been floundering since J. Allard and Robbie Bach left Microsoft.

They marketed XBOX One as a damn cable box that just do happened to play games and now the Series consoles have fragmentation baked in from day one.

Microsoft has definitely elevated console console gaming…anyone saying otherwise is a dumbass. But those days stopped after the 360…hopefully they can get back on track with these latest acquisitions…they definitely have some good shyt going with gamepass and xcloud but they have been taking 2 steps back for every step forward since XBONE.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
The ps3 was initially linux enabled. The potential was there, but they removed the option.
They removed the option because it was an avenue for people to hack the hardware. If you want fan created content on a console you're looking at stuff like LittleBigPlanet , Dreams, and Mario Maker where the tools are prepackaged and you do it on their terms. Microsoft did nothing to stop that.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Xbox and Xbox 360 are GOAT systems that gave me plenty of great memories, what ruined console gaming was DLC.

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
Unless the console gets a hack you won't be able to run modified games on it. We clearly know that no console maker has any interest allowing hacked games or hacked consoles as they patch all exploits and lock down their consoles. Microsoft did allow PC mods on Fallout 4 on the Xbox but that's as far as I've seen it go.
Microsoft is willing to let content fly. It’s up to the 3rd parties to wave to do it

Metal Face

Superstar
Daps
Microsoft added

Voice Chat
Hard drives
Online Services which I think once Microsoft reach its Gamepass goal it will be free like PC
Gamepass
Achievements
DLC
Profiles
One of the best controllers especially for FPS
Big budget games such as Halo
Cloud Gaming
Xcloud remote play anywhere
Digital games
Movies and entertainment digitally
Multiple forms of controllers
Removable storage
Gamertags
Indie support
Gave some of these developers Activision with COD/Bethesda their first console audience

all fax
Xbox helped gaming big time
especially after Sega got bushed

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...
Cool, tell me this
If you play the Last of Us w/o trophies/achievements, voice chat, cloud saves or whatever the fukk
would you not enjoy it?
MS loves to focus on the peas & gravy and not the meatloaf.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Yeah, tbh half this shyt i dont even use:yeshrug:

They arguably made online console gaming what it is today, but as for my experience with gaming it hasn’t meant much of anything. Biggest contributing factor for Microsoft entering the console race is general competition

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Yeah, tbh half this shyt i dont even use:yeshrug:

They arguably made online console gaming what it is today, but as for my experience with gaming it hasn’t meant much of anything. Biggest contributing factor for Microsoft entering the console race is general competition
We know. You only play SP games. :lolbron: