Help a brother out ! Cardio : before or after weight training ?

Astroslik

Veteran
Daps
No

Cardio is generally (as we are discussing) a form of exercise that increases your heart rate. You have it backwards. The heart rate elevation is primary with the secondary effect on muscle tissue.
When you lift with high volume and shorter rest, you are pumping oxygen into your muscles that will increase its endurance. This is why overtime, with the same type of workout, you will be able to have shorter rest periods. Doing this DOES increase your heart rate, which is why I said cardio is secondary.

But doing HIIT is a lot better form of cardio because your heart rate is a lot higher and you're shedding body fat. Your muscle endurance may not go up as much but your cardio will, if that makes sense.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
When you lift with high volume and shorter rest, you are pumping oxygen into your muscles that will increase its endurance. This is why overtime, with the same type of workout, you will be able to have shorter rest periods. Doing this DOES increase your heart rate, which is why I said cardio is secondary.

But doing HIIT is a lot better form of cardio because your heart rate is a lot higher and you're shedding body fat. Your muscle endurance may not go up as much but your cardio will, if that makes sense.

You are skipping the primary concept of why this works.

You detailed how oxygen feeds into the muscle. How does oxygen get to muscle? Blood, what pumps blood through your body, your heart...........Its the enabler in that style of training so how can it be secondary? You can’t do A without B here so how is it secondary?

The second paragraph isn’t relative to what we are talking about since we aren’t discussing what’s best but I’ll play along. You can do HIIT training in serveral ways that include weight training.

Last edited:

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Logic Is Absent Wherever Hate Is Present
Daps
Why cardio after weights now?
Research has shown me the light. I've learned that you burn more fat doing cardio after lifting and you have more strength when you lift before cardio.

So you can lift heavier weight and do more reps when you lift before you do cardio. I can't think of one benefit to doing cardio first because....

"When you weight-train, you typically use glycogen as fuel. By doing weight-training first, you can burn the majority of your glycogen stores. Knocking out your cardio after you crush the weights will burn more fat"

DJ Paul's Arm

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Depends on the individual.

Me personally, I always hit the weights better after 20 minutes on the elliptical at medium intensity.

That's MY warmup to get the blood flowing and it gets my muscles warmed up.

I went 1 week doing no cardio and went straight to the weights to see if it worked for ME. Started off light and worked my way up but it didn't feel right. Went back to cardio the second week before weights and I felt like God.

Trial and error. Do what's best that works for you and forget all them "scientific articles"

Exercise ain't universal.

Shieeet Kai Greene hits the stairmaster before hittin the weights. Just sayin

8====D

¡Vamos Spurs Vamos!
Daps
Reppin
210 | 334
Depends on the individual.

Me personally, I always hit the weights better after 20 minutes on the elliptical at medium intensity.

That's MY warmup to get the blood flowing and it gets my muscles warmed up.

I went 1 week doing no cardio and went straight to the weights to see if it worked for ME. Started off light and worked my way up but it didn't feel right. Went back to cardio the second week before weights and I felt like God.

Trial and error. Do what's best that works for you and forget all them "scientific articles"

Exercise ain't universal.

Shieeet Kai Greene hits the stairmaster before hittin the weights. Just sayin
Hit the nail on the head.

Repped. (when I can lol)