Help a brother out ! Cardio : before or after weight training ?

African Peasant

Veteran
Daps
I'm trying to lose weight. I already did my things when it comes to diet.

My issue lies within the gym. My goal as I said is to lose weight. But I'm not trying to look like someone who caught some disease like I see some other cats looking after a successful diet.

So I'm trying to use the gym to lose weight and to build some muscles. But I'm not trying to be "buff", I'm just trying to have some muscle. Lean.

So what should I do. I heard some conflicting report about the order between cardio and weight.

Right now, I go to the gym 4 times a week. I start by 30 minutes of cardio and I do 40 minutes of weight training. Should I keep that order or change it ? :yeshrug:

Thx.

African Peasant

Veteran
Daps
do 20-30 minutes of HIIT before weights

Generally prioritize cardio after your weight training unless you have a cardio intensive goal.

Conducting resistance training prior to cardio also allows you to burn more fat as your glycogen should be depleted and you should be burning fat only.

:mindblown:

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
This is the thing:

You aren’t really going to be able to build muscle and lose fat at the same time in sizeable amounts.

In terms of what to do first it’s really up to you and what you priority is. At a minimum it sounds like you want to lose fat and keep the muscle you have. Based on that I would focus on lifting first and then cardio.

Personally I never understood doing cardio before getting under heavy weight.

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
Don't worry about being "buff". If you had GOAT level muscle genes, you would know by now. Lift before cardio. Do a 5-10 min warm up walk/jog before lifting if you want. Nothing too intense tho.

Also with your lifting, do circuit training and super sets. Keep that heart rate up, you should be sweating.

Daps
If you have a decent amount of body fat and are focused solely on cutting = cardio first. Get your stamina up. Burns calories the most efficiently because you can maintain it the longest. If you can't run 4 miles on a treadmill (or outside)....at the minimum....start there.

HIIT is more useful when you are close to your goal and want to burn a little bodyfat without significant muscle loss.

Weights...include them....after cardio. Do a little bit each day to maintain strength and limit loss of lean mass.

When you hit the target weight, weights first then cardio. It's the cutting/bulking cycle. Lose fat and a little muscle. Bulk back up to gain muscle (with a little fat). Rinse and repeat until you find your ideal weight at a bodyfat percentage that works for you.

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
Generally prioritize cardio after your weight training unless you have a cardio intensive goal.

Conducting resistance training prior to cardio also allows you to burn more fat as your glycogen should be depleted and you should be burning fat only.
When you add muscle you burning fat through out the day, so strength train first then do cardio, your body going to start tapping in the fat storage for energy
Yeah I've heard this before.

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Logic Is Absent Wherever Hate Is Present
Daps
If you have a decent amount of body fat and are focused solely on cutting = cardio first. Get your stamina up. Burns calories the most efficiently because you can maintain it the longest. If you can't run 4 miles on a treadmill (or outside)....at the minimum....start there.

HIIT is more useful when you are close to your goal and want to burn a little bodyfat without significant muscle loss.

Weights...include them....after cardio. Do a little bit each day to maintain strength and limit loss of lean mass.

When you hit the target weight, weights first then cardio. It's the cutting/bulking cycle. Lose fat and a little muscle. Bulk back up to gain muscle (with a little fat). Rinse and repeat until you find your ideal weight at a bodyfat percentage that works for you.
Best answer imo.

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
I'm trying to lose weight. I already did my things when it comes to diet.

My issue lies within the gym. My goal as I said is to lose weight. But I'm not trying to look like someone who caught some disease like I see some other cats looking after a successful diet.

So I'm trying to use the gym to lose weight and to build some muscles.
But I'm not trying to be "buff", I'm just trying to have some muscle. Lean.

So what should I do. I heard some conflicting report about the order between cardio and weight.

Right now, I go to the gym 4 times a week. I start by 30 minutes of cardio and I do 40 minutes of weight training. Should I keep that order or change it ? :yeshrug:

Thx.

After.

Only reason I can see warrant cardio before weights is for specificity purposes (sport drills, track & field event, marathon, specific obstacle course, etc).

Fat loss? After.