HBO in talks to license shows to Netflix

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Wasn't this already happening last decade? :why: I guess Max isn't profiting the way HBO thought it would. :yeshrug:. I don't know how Netflix looks bad in this situation when HBO is the one crawling back to Netflix. HBO tried to have their own corner in the streaming game and lost.

They have a hundred million subscribers, Max is doing well, Zaslav took on billions in debt from the AT&T merger that he's trying to shed and I think they will probably merge with another corporation in the near future.

Also, Disney and everyone else is also licensing shows and movies back to Netflix. So much for Disney+ being the "Netflix killer"

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Wasn't this already happening last decade? :why: I guess Max isn't profiting the way HBO thought it would. :yeshrug:. I don't know how Netflix looks bad in this situation when HBO is the one crawling back to Netflix. HBO tried to have their own corner in the streaming game and lost.
They're probably looking at their back catalog and seeing what's not making the most noise on their service and licensing that content out. If it's not gonna do numbers on their service why not place it elsewhere and get paid?

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Streaming is a money pit. I bet these networks are wishing cable was still king
Basically.

“You can’t scale for infinite”

The rising cost of residuals plus site maintenance on just subscribers fees ain’t enough.

Plus getting rid of shows gives people more reason to jump off your app but also you need constantly be making new stuff to keep people hooked

Those four or five 30 second commercials paid for a lot on the big 4 networks apparently

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Basically.

“You can’t scale for infinite”

The rising cost of residuals plus site maintenance on just subscribers fees ain’t enough.

Plus getting rid of shows gives people more reason to jump off your app but also you need constantly be making new stuff to keep people hooked

Those four or five 30 second commercials paid for a lot on the big 4 networks apparently

I need two megaphones for people to start listening to this. This shyt is not sustainable long term

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I need two megaphones for people to start listening to this. This shyt is not sustainable long term
It absolutely is sustainable long term. The market is going to settle into 4 or so major streamers while the others consolidate or go away. Every movie studio and network doesn't need it's own streaming platform. Stuff like Peacock that's losing almost $3 billion in a calendrer year for 30 million subs is unsustainable. Comcast Universal should licensing out that content and shutting Peacock down.

If they don't want to license they should get with Paramount and form a new Hulu splitting ownership like before. Together just Peacock and Paramount+ would be close to 100 million subs. They could add in other fringe services like AMC+ and others.

Streaming will eventually turn into online on demand cable TV without the middle man cable company and carriage agreements. Instead of going to the cable company and getting the bundle from them you just go to the providers directly and pay them for the bundle. They'll probably also phase out the ad free plans or make them extortionately expensive.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
It absolutely is sustainable long term. The market is going to settle into 4 or so major streamers while the others consolidate or go away. Every movie studio and network doesn't need it's own streaming platform. Stuff like Peacock that's losing almost $3 billion in a calendrer year for 30 million subs is unsustainable. Comcast Universal should licensing out that content and shutting Peacock down.

If they don't want to license they should get with Paramount and form a new Hulu splitting ownership like before. Together just Peacock and Paramount+ would be close to 100 million subs. They could add in other fringe services like AMC+ and others.

Streaming will eventually turn into online on demand cable TV without the middle man cable company and carriage agreements. Instead of going to the cable company and getting the bundle from them you just go to the providers directly and pay them for the bundle. They'll probably also phase out the ad free plans or make them extortionately expensive.

by sustainable I mean long term growth which is what the actual investors want to see.

All roads lead to the same watered down piss content filled with ads for the same prices everyone just ran away from with cable tv a few years ago. The only way to continue growing for these streaming providers is to limit how much you can watch and how much you pay to watch it. There’s no large group of new subscribers out there waiting to be captured.

Content is only going to get more expensive and subscribers have already topped out.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
by sustainable I mean long term growth which is what the actual investors want to see.

All roads lead to the same watered down piss content filled with ads for the same prices everyone just ran away from with cable tv a few years ago. The only way to continue growing for these streaming providers is to limit how much you can watch and how much you pay to watch it. There’s no large group of new subscribers out there waiting to be captured.

Content is only going to get more expensive and subscribers have already topped out.
It can grow but there are only so many households in the US so it has a peak which Netflix found out letting password sharing run rampant. Advertising ends up penetrating almost everything. Streaming is the à la carte world people dreamed of. They just didn't realize it came at a higher price for less content than cable.