HBK 1997-1998 Appreciation Thread

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Same. Only got to really watch him in real time for like 5-6 months before he left :mjcry:

Had no idea he even was hurt and they never explicitly said it on tv. Just pulled him from TV after WM14 and then HHH started bussing shots at him like a disloyal ass hoe. Then he would dip in and out as commentator, commish, ref, etc. giving hope that he was coming back to wrestle just teasing us :mjcry:

Thank the lord for Sting/Wolfpack/Nash that year

I can’t recall any mention of his back injury until the build for the 6 man hell in a cell at Armageddon 2000 and then once he came back in 2002, and I watched occasionally through 1998-99 and started full time around mid 2000. Can anyone correct me if I’m wrong? I found it so strange they never mentioned it.

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
I can’t recall any mention of his back injury until the build for the 6 man hell in a cell at Armageddon 2000 and then once he came back in 2002, and I watched occasionally through 1998-99 and started full time around mid 2000. Can anyone correct me if I’m wrong? I found it so strange they never mentioned it.
I don’t remember them mentioning it and I watched that entire time. The only memory I have is when he missed no way out in 98. Looking back it was pretty strange.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I don’t remember them mentioning it and I watched that entire time. The only memory I have is when he missed no way out in 98. Looking back it was pretty strange.
The whole thing is so strange. After being a workhorse, Shawn doesn’t wrestle for 2 months after the rumble, then after he loses to Austin basically vanishes off the face of the earth until management (which in character hated him along with him legit getting them in trouble with the network for his behavior) introduces him as commissioner which he randomly shows up as from time to time until he gives the job to Mick Foley in mid 2000. He even inconsistently helps the heels and faces during his time as commissioner and I hardly recall them even acknowledging his time as a wrestler when he was commissioner.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps

Nah I think Vince was probably holding out hope that he would come back, Cause on top of the injury he was still a pill popping junkie so it was probably hard to really really know what was up.

This was the same man who also was told a year earlier he would/should never wrestle again because of his knee and then was back like 3-4 months later doing backflips :russ:

XannyWarbucks

Superstar
Daps
It's a mix. The back injury was real though.
I'm pretty sure he didn't want to get surgery for a the year, and then got it around early '99.
He probably could've been back by mid 99 but he started his school and was involved with charities, so he just hung around while they paid him.

Mania X7 was supposed to be HHH vs Shawn, but he was Soma'd up so they nixed the match. Shawn kept the same story consistent about how he ate all his kids' cookies but forgot because he was tweaked at the time, so he tried to get clean.

I would say from Summer of 99-2002, he could've came back but the "back injury" was used as a way to not reference he was on pain killers and somas for a chunk of that time.

Finn Baller

Superstar
Daps
after Bret had left for WCW and Jason Sensation was doing a Hitman impression while Shawn was on commentary :heh:

hdtxq04ajn371.jpg

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
after Bret had left for WCW and Jason Sensation was doing a Hitman impression while Shawn was on commentary :heh:

hdtxq04ajn371.jpg
Maaaan i’ll never forget that promo where he said Bret was a 9-5 worker. shyt was so random but was funny AF :laff:

Fool also said

“You may have more money than me but you do not make more money than me.”

Or something to that effect :mjlol: