HBCU Alumni Giving Rates

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Underdeveloped Minds Research Institute
I was flipping through one of those US News College guides, recently. There was a section on HBCUs. The alumni giving rates are atrocious at HBCUs. :scust:

Spelman College (39%) :ehh:

Howard University (8%) :mindblown:

Hampton University (15%) :jbhmm:

Morehouse College (13%) :dahell:

Tuskegee University (18%) :childplease:

FAMU (5%) :huhldup:

North Carolina A&T (8%) :snoop:

Bethune Cookman (9%) :dame:

Morgan State (11%) :gucci:

Most of the other schools were listed as (N/A), which suggests giving rates were so low, the schools didn't even want to self report. :francis:

In another thread, nikkas wanted to know what happened to Morris Brown.

Look at what the "elite" HBCUs are facing in terms of funding.

@CashmereEsquire @NeilCartwright

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Do regular universities get a bunch more? I get those donations request from mine and throw it away

Yes. A lot of big schools have a higher percentage and a larger total number.

Most HBCUs have small graduating classes each year, so the alumni base is smaller.

10% alumni giving at Morehouse, for example, is not the same as 10% alumni giving at Ohio State.

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
This. We need comparison rates

For example:

alumni-giving-lrg-schools-p75-tr.jpg

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Id argue most of the bigger PWIs leverage research money and of course athletics

That plays a big part.

HBCUs don't have enough revenue streams to have such low alumni giving rates.

University of Florida, for example, can probably have a 0% alumni giving rate and still be in good financial shape.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Yes. A lot of big schools have a higher percentage and a larger total number.

Most HBCUs have small graduating classes each year, so the alumni base is smaller.

10% alumni giving at Morehouse, for example, is not the same as 10% alumni giving at Ohio State.
At the end of the day if everyone who has ever graduated from morehouse gave 1 dollar a month im sure the numbers would be far greater than what they get now.

TL15

Veteran
Daps
To Compare with non HBCU's

alumni-giving-huge-schools-p76-tl.jpg

Also from a different article:

"Among the top 10 schools, an average of around 53 percent of former students donated. On the other end of the spectrum, 301 schools reported less than 5 percent of alumni donating on average during the same time period."

It looks like all college grads are steadily on that :mjpls: when it comes to giving back...I know I sure as hell haven't donated :mjlol:

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the end of the day if everyone who has ever graduated from morehouse gave 1 dollar a month im sure the numbers would be far greater than what they get now.

That would go a long way for them. nikkas are not giving back to Morehouse, but will turn up during homecoming.

If they only donated a fraction of the money they spend to stunt during homecoming, the school would be in good shape.

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
To Compare with non HBCU's

alumni-giving-huge-schools-p76-tl.jpg

Also from a different article:

"Among the top 10 schools, an average of around 53 percent of former students donated. On the other end of the spectrum, 301 schools reported less than 5 percent of alumni donating on average during the same time period."

It looks like all college grads are steadily on that :mjpls: when it comes to giving back...I know I sure as hell haven't donated :mjlol:

When you have tens of thousands of graduates entering the alumni pool every year for big schools, alumni giving rates aren't a huge concern.

Harvard, Virginia, Cornell, etc. can live with a less than 20% giving rate. HBCUs aren't churning out thousands of graduates and don't have D1 sports and research, patent, etc. revenue.

In short, HBCUs need to encourage their alums to contribute more.