Has Morgan Freeman ever played a role where he wasn't a Magic Negro

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He's Q man. That's his role in dark knight. He does exactly what Q does everything you just said is what Q does in the bond films. The only difference is he's black. I'm not seeing that one at all.

I didn't say it was a negative/bad role, but it does fall into the magical negro trope.

There are a litany of roles that would turn into "magical negro" if the character was turned black. What makes it a trope is that it appears so often and those characters are often the only black person in the film or one of a few.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I didn't say it was a negative/bad role, but it does fall into the magical negro trope.

There are a litany of roles that would turn into "magical negro" if the character was turned black. What makes it a trope is that it appears so often and those characters are often the only black person in the film or one of a few.

Yeah that ain't magical to me lol. Not at all. Like I said if it were a white guy it'd just be that

Wolfgang-Zero

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Windy city
Yeah that ain't magical to me lol. Not at all. Like I said if it were a white guy it'd just be that
:snoop:
The Magical Negro is a supporting stock character in American cinema who is portrayed as coming to the aid of a film's white protagonists. Magical Negro characters, who often possess special insight or mystical powers, have long been a tradition in American fiction.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
:snoop:
The Magical Negro is a supporting stock character in American cinema who is portrayed as coming to the aid of a film's white protagonists. Magical Negro characters, who often possess special insight or mystical powers, have long been a tradition in American fiction.

Yeah I understand that. It it's also a role integral for comic book movies. It just so happens he's black but he does the same thing Q does in the bond movies or Alfred does. I don't see it as a typical magical negro role in that sense because it's something that's been done in other iterations by other people of other ethnicities. That's all.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Which is how a lot of tropes play out, if you chance the race or gender it no longer fits the trope. It's like the "Final Girl" trope, if you change it to a white male it stops being the "Final girl" trope.

By your logic none of these things count as Magical Negro because you can always find films with white characters doing the same thing.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Which is how a lot of tropes play out, if you chance the race or gender it no longer fits the trope. It's like the "Final Girl" trope, if you change it to a white male it stops being the "Final girl" trope.

By your logic none of these things count as Magical Negro because you can always find films with white characters doing the same thing.
Why is why I think the trope is a bit old hat for that reason. 40 years ago or maybe even just 30 years ago, a black man wouldn't have been allowed to even think of playing the president of a corporation who also happens to be a gifted scientist/engineer and one of the smartest people in the movie if not the smartest. That would be a white man no questions asked. But now that it's a black guy playing it he's a magical negro, which is in itself a derogatory term. You may not see it as derogatory but that's what it is