Has Bruce Wayne ever been an interesting character?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
At least on screen?

I’m not talking about batman im talking about Bruce, outside of the costume, in his day to day life. It always feels like he’s doing the bare minimum cosplay as a business tyc00n but ts never believable or interesting. It usually only involves him moping around or acting like an a$$hole. I feel like DC has not figured out how to make Bruce Wayne the man interesting without the cape still.

We also never seem him perform special feats outside of costume which adds to how bland the character is. He’s also one of the few popular characters that don’t have a super specific look to him. Literally anyone can be Bruce wayne as long as they can wear a suit.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
TAS, a few games implement him well, I thought Bale did what he had to as well.

All in all though, it's natively less interesting for a hero to be his non-fighting alter ego, so that's why it feels that way. In reality Bruce Wayne is a HUGE step up from other alter egos.

Bruce Wayne >>>>> Peter Parker, Clark Kent, etc.

Thor's alter ego sucked so bad they eventually just stopped using him :mjlol:

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Naw, peter parker is undeniably the prototype for how to curate an nteresting personality and story outside of a costume
I disagree. High school peter parker is good for getting the kids involved but I think older demographics gravitate to Bruce Wayne

College/older peter parker is :scust:

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
:mjtf: TAS, Beyond, and Begins hell people agree that Bale. Played a better Bruce than Batman.
Yep. He couldn't display his acting chops while masked up.

The Bruce Wayne character was much more interesting

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Because The Bat is the person, and Bruce Wayne is the bare-minimum-maintained mask. Bruce Wayne doesn't exist to be "interesting."

Parker is specifically designed to appeal to children.

I didn’t want to turn this into another spider-man vs batman thread, but this is wrong. Peter Parker is not meant to appeal to children, he’s meant to appeal to the every-man. He’s from a working class, single parent household, holds a regular low paying job, and struggles to keep his actual real life together while fighting crime.

Bruce Wayne is literally just Batman, nothing he does outside of fighting crime ever matters because he’s a filthy rich trust fund kid that can do whatever he wants during the day, like sleep.

The most interesting thing about Bruce Wayne is inevitably what happens to him when he’s forced to stop fighting crime, as its his entire personality.

Last edited:

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
Bruce Wayne is interesting because he’s just as mentally unstable, as the villains he fights. Which is fitting because half of his rogues gallery. Are dealing with some form of mental illness. You can even say that Bruce Wayne. Is the only superhero with 3 alter egos. 1. Bruce Wayne, 2. a playboy, and 3. The Batman.

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Bruce Wayne interesting because he’s just as mentally unstable, as the villains he fights. Which is fitting because half of his rogue gallery. Deals with a mental illness, you can even say that Bruce Wayne. Is the only superhero with 3 alter egos. 1. A broken man, 2. a playboy, and 3. The Batman.

I do think that is part of the interesting angle of batman. He’s not that different from joker, ivy, penguin, harvey, etc. even his ethos of non-killing is twisted, it means he gets to keep being batman the more of these psycho’s remain on the street. He just gets to continue causing them severe injury every night.

Is Batman actually trying to prevent crime or is he trying to inspire more criminals and psychopaths to challenge him?

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
I do think that is part of the interesting angle of batman. He’s not that different from joker, ivy, penguin, harvey, etc. even his ethos of non-killing is twisted, it means he gets to keep being batman the more of these psycho’s remain on the street. He just gets to continue causing them severe injury every night.

Is Batman actually trying to prevent crime or is he trying to inspire more criminals and psychopaths to challenge him?
Yup Bruce and his rogues gallery were all born from some sort of trauma. The “one bad day” remains true in the Batman universe. That’s why Joker constantly saying “we’re the same” is facts. Even the Robins are dealing with their own and Bruce’s trauma. Why would Bruce put these young orphans lives at risk fighting crime. Instead of giving them a proper home, and a second chance at having a normal childhood. He does it to repeat a cycle of trauma to vigilante that’s why lol. Bruce Wayne is crazy af.

Last edited: