Has anybody else fell off as hard promo wise as the rock?

King Kai

Supporter
Daps
This didn't work coming from CM Punk because just look at them. "No gimmicks, I'm just gonna kick your ass" was laughable.
Facts. There's nothing wrong with the promo or anything but I just can't take it seriously. :mjlol:

Looks even funnier in retrospect because we saw what kind of "ass kicking" Punk does with no gimmicks.

CM_Burns

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Facts. There's nothing wrong with the promo or anything but I just can't take it seriously. :mjlol:

Looks even funnier in retrospect because we saw what kind of "ass kicking" Punk does with no gimmicks.

That's what's wrong with it. Just keep it "I'm the best in the world and I'm champ for a yr, and you haven't been scratching and clawing every week, etc".

What he did would be like Scott Steiner vs Ric Flair in WCW and Flair isnt wooing and instead calmly gets the mic and goes "throw aside the holla if ya hear me and freaks and all that, I'm just gonna kick your ass". It's gotta be believable for that to work.

El Cocodrilo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He couldn't come back with shoot tough guy sh1t because he was nice enough to not bury CM Punk. Those 2 in the ring together looked embarrassing.

i gotta disagree with ya, he called CM Punk a bytch and told him if he wanted he could just "rip out his throat"

JesusFOREVER

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
My Father in Heaven
the character has simply evolved, he is the "people's champion" through and through and his main goal is to please the fans, nothing wrong with that all, people who expect prime rock at 50 years old are kind of delusional, i think hes still funny and charismatic

Daps
Reppin
My Set
When you are at his level its no point reinventing the wheel.. people want to hear him play the hits.

Thats the thing he not even playing the hits tho. He just saying generic shyt like chat gpt came up with new catch phrases. This nikka the Jordan Poole of catch phrases rn. He just throwing shyt and hoping it goes.

Metal Face

Superstar
Daps

Rock got like 5 writers working for him and they gave him shyt like Cookiepuss :laff:

James Dean

All Star
Daps
This why that nikka don’t be coming back anymore. Yall always over analyze his shyt. This been going on for years. Message boards and social media run online and repeat the same arguments with his content for 20 years and yet it never translates to the live audience. Dudes a legend, he goes out there gives them what they want to see. The people that work with him get hella exposure and appreciate those moments working with him. If rock ever came out of it looking rough, it always does wonders for the other person who did better. Cause it never effects Rocks legacy at this point. He’s No different from Taker or Austin and any of his peers from his prime. They do what works.

Not for you? Cool.

James Dean

All Star
Daps
Rock always relied on catchphrases.....prime era Rock promos was basically jumping to catchphrase to catchphrase.

shyt was novel at the time and he had next level charisma but his promos were always crazy formulaic
People mistake being formulaic with him being washed or not having it etc. I don’t know why we treat promos like it’s battle rap these days anyway.

The fans don’t want to see Rock cutting those super serious I’m better than you promos. With that said if yall actually seen his work he’s gone that route and delivered. Even with his recent feuds with Cena and Punk. Rock had some great moments. People just highlight the wrist notes or box with god or talk about his formulaic crowd pleaser return promos and it gets lost in the shuffle.

NoMorePie

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mississauga
Maturing is realizing ceGOAT won all promo battles

gtHdTsF_d.webp

DaHNIC82

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Off The Cuff Radio/ScrewballRadio/BudeBoyEnt
People mistake being formulaic with him being washed or not having it etc. I don’t know why we treat promos like it’s battle rap these days anyway.

The fans don’t want to see Rock cutting those super serious I’m better than you promos. With that said if yall actually seen his work he’s gone that route and delivered. Even with his recent feuds with Cena and Punk. Rock had some great moments. People just highlight the wrist notes or box with god or talk about his formulaic crowd pleaser return promos and it gets lost in the shuffle.

And even with that, They had Rock do that shyt with his notes on his wrist to give Cena a upper hand because Rock was getting buddy booed all over the country. They wanted to do that 50/50 bullshyt to keep fan support for Cena.

They literally edited what Rock said about Cena getting a divorce out of his Rock Concert in later DVD releases to protect him :russ: