Haitian Appreciation Thread

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
@Mega
Heard it on radio earlier today. Haitian diaspora has to acquire power to prevent, or make people feel repercussions for bullying us. Whether it's physical bullying like the a$$hole who got convicted for hate crimes in Ohio or the jews who forced Mrs Gay out at Harvard.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Baltimore opens 1st new Catholic school in about 60 years

Aug. 30, 2021
1200x0.jpg

mother-mary-lange-school-jpg-1628277465.jpg

It’s named after Mother Mary Elizabeth Lange, a Haitian American who started a Catholic school for Black children in 1828 — the first U.S. Catholic school for African American youth. She co-founded the Oblate Sisters of Providence in Baltimore in 1829. The Vatican is reviewing Lange for possible canonization.

Venerable Mary Lange to be celebrated in Baltimore during Catholic Schools Week​

January 6, 2024
langebanner.jpeg

A portrait of Venerable Mary Lange in procession for a June 2023 Mass commemorating the reinterment of Lange at Our Lady of Mount Providence Convent in Baltimore, Maryland.

Mother Mary Lange, the Black Catholic foundress of the Oblate Sisters of Providence, will be celebrated at the order’s flagship school in Baltimore this month as part of a celebration for Catholic Schools Week, now in its 50th year.
The event, scheduled for 9am ET on Tuesday, Jan. 30, at St. Frances Academy, will commemorate Lange’s progress on the path to sainthood. Her cause reached a new milestone in summer 2023, when Pope Francis declared her “Venerable”—the last stage before possible beatification.

Mass-flyer-copy-1-scaled-e1704389443154.jpg

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

*Translated from French*

Towards the installation of a bust of Jean Jacques Dessalines in Benin​

12/27/23

With the aim of strengthening historical, cultural and spiritual ties between Haiti and Benin, a French-speaking country in West Africa, a sculpted portrait of Jean Jacques Dessalines, founding father of the Haitian Nation will be installed in Benin on January 1, 2024 on the occasion of 220 years of Haitian independence. Borgella Dumond, the sculptor of this bust spoke with the newspaper Le National to tell us about his work sculpted in honor of Emperor James 1st and his presence in Benin during the installation. Interview.

Le National: Can you introduce yourself to the readers of the newspaper Le National?

Borgella Dumond: My name is Borgella Dumond, professional sculptor and former student of visual arts at the National School of Arts (ENARTS) in Haiti. I am the delegate of the BAZ'ARTS cultural association and also CEO of Atelier BD. I am actively involved in the artistic and cultural field. I am currently in Togo.

LN: You created a bust in honor of Jean Jacques Dessalines. How did this project get started ?

BD: The idea of creating a bust in honor of Dessalines was born from the initiative of a group of Haitians living in Benin. These fervent patriots had always nourished the dream of seeing a sculpture by Jean Jacques Dessalines created by a compatriot, notably an ENARTS student. After discovering my skills through my online portfolio and my videos, they called on me to bring this project to fruition.

LN: How long did it take you to create this work?

BD: This sculpture required a month of work to complete.

LN: Can you give us a description of this sculpture?

BD: This work, forged in resin, extends majestically over 34 inches by 24 inches, its weight is 26 kilograms. Tinted with a captivating shade of bronze, it immortalizes the face of Emperor Jean Jacques Dessalines, frozen in an attentive expression, scanning the battlefield with determination.

LN: You will travel to Benin for the installation of this sculpture on January 1, 2024. Tell us about the preparations for the trip and with what feelings do you intend to participate in this ceremony?

BD: On January 1, 2024, I will be in Benin to attend the inauguration of this sculpture imbued with historical symbols. All preparations are already in place, and it is with immense pride that I will stand in the land of my ancestors in Africa. Visiting Africa has always been a dream of mine, and it is an exceptional honor to be the artist who brought this sculpture to life. This project represents the pinnacle of my artistic commitment, symbolizing the deep union between the Haitian people and the Beninese people, as well as with Africa, the land of my ancestors.

LN: Which institutions were involved in this project?

BD: (AHVAB) The Association of Haitians Living in Benin was the institution involved in this project.

LN: What does sculpture represent to you?

BD: The sculpture that I created represents much more than a simple artistic work. For me, she embodies the subtle weaving of history and dreams, merging the heritages of the Haitian and Beninese people. Each sculpted feature carries the weight of an exceptional honor, that of being the artist who gave life to this tangible manifestation of the union between these two nations, and more precisely with Africa. It is a tribute to the resilience, struggle, and determination embodied by Emperor Jean Jacques Dessalines, whose face fixed in an attentive expression symbolizes vigilance in the face of the challenges of the past and present. This sculpture thus becomes a bridge between eras, a palpable link between people and their intertwined histories. Every detail, every curve, and every nuance of this creation are so many verses of visual poetry, an artistic symphony celebrating identity, unity, and the transformative power of art. As I contemplate it, I feel the deep connection with my roots, an emotion that transcends the physical material to rise into the timeless realm of creativity and cultural heritage.

Le National: Have you already created other sculptural works?

Borgella Dumond: Yes, I have already created several sculptural works as part of my project on the greatness of the black race. Among these are a bust of Jacques Stephen Alexis, Patrice Lumumba, Kemi Seba, as well as several other sculptures created as part of artistic contracts. In conclusion and in resonance with my artistic achievements, I would like to express my deep gratitude for the opportunity given to me to share my artistic journey and my projects. I invested the best of myself in this artistic approach. My thanks go to my family, my friends, my supporters, as well as to the newspaper LE NATIONAL which also supported my journey. Art, as a universal language, transcends borders, and it is an honor for me to contribute to this artistic conversation. Thank you very much for your encouragement and for sharing this artistic adventure with me

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
November 2023

RESULT

Court issues injunction against law involving humanitarian driver’s licenses​

January 12, 2024 A federal judge granted an injunction that would allow all humanitarian parolees to apply for an Indiana driver's license or ID card.

A federal district court on Thursday issued a preliminary injunction rebuking House Enrolled Act 1050, passed during the 2023 legislative session, which created a pathway for individuals on humanitarian parole to obtain the legal forms of identification — but only for those from Ukraine.
The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Indiana and the National Immigration Center filed a legal challenge in September on behalf of five Haitian immigrants who live and work in the state and want an Indiana driver’s license or identification card.

Chief Judge Tanya Walton Pratt, of Indiana’s southern district court, seemed empathetic to the plaintiffs argument that the measure was unconstitutional and amounted to national-origin discrimination.

“Here, Indiana Code … obviously targets and distinguishes between classes of humanitarian parolees. If the Indiana statute permitted all humanitarian parolees alike to obtain licenses, identification cards, or titles, plaintiffs would not need to bring this suit. Haitian Humanitarian Parolees have therefore demonstrated injuries for purposes of constitutional standing,” Walton Pratt said in her 45-page ruling.

In a release, attorneys from the ACLU and National Immigration Center emphasized the need for driver’s licenses and ID cards — saying that applications from those on humanitarian parole shouldn’t be routinely denied or accepted simply based on one’s country of origin.

“A driver’s license is necessary for me to get to work and be a fully independent member of my community, particularly in rural Indiana where I live,” said Hancock County plaintiff Jeffson St-Hilaire, in a release. “I am relieved by today’s decision, which will help me be self-reliant and give back to my community. I plan to continue advocating for justice alongside the other plaintiffs, because getting a driver’s license should be dependent on following the rules of the road, not on the country where you were born. Today’s decision is a step forward in the direction of justice, equality, and the fundamental rights of our community. It sends a powerful message that everyone, regardless of their immigration status or country of origin, deserves equal treatment.”

The state, through the Bureau of Motor Vehicles and its representation at the Attorney General’s office, can appeal the decision.