Chrishaune

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
Mid to late 90's based on the flip phones, the cars, and other stuff. Plus, it would make sense if real time is present day Batman.

Funny you say that because I was watching a scene where Gordon and his partner were talking. There was all of these late 80s to 90s cars in the background and I was kind of figuring it was set in that time period, then a 2000s hybrid passed by in the background. :dwillhuh: I mean yeah you're shooting in city streets somewhere but even I know how to edit out cars in scenes like that. Kind of threw me off, but otherwise I enjoyed the show. That's just me nitpicking.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was surprisingly entertained. I had extremely low expectations though & thought it was just gonna be corny. I liked it though

I'll admit I wanted to hate when they introduced numerous characters, but I got over it

I thought Jada was really entertaining as well

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
Yeah the dialogue was an issue at times but I chalk that up to "pilot syndrome" but there were better ways to do it. Gordon constantly calling Barbara by her name (because real couples always call each other by name when they're together or in private), the clunky expository dialogue that always irks me but I get that it's all setup. Pilots have to do it and some don't always find the smoothest ways to do it. Doesn't mean the show will always be that way.

I stopped counting how many times they said "James Gordon".

I'll chalk it up to it being the pilot and I see what they're going for stylistically but they haven't really hit it just yet. The dialogue was clunky as hell but it tapered off around the near end and kinda got better.

I'm a fan of the three most prominent actors so far and I know they're all up to the task but Jesus a lot of it was just groan-worthy. I'm actually looking forward to it in the future but they most certainly could've taken the time out to sand the edges.

They had a big obstacle though in taking the world Batman exists in and not having to reference everything people already know. Existing media is the worst to adapt from, I figure. Legend of Korra had the same issue. It's a bunch of "ooh, I know that name". Kinda wish they had risked it and just threw you into the world without all of the exposition. Assume people know and don't flat out state character names.

First scene:

Hostage situation

Gordon: My name's James, what's yours?

blah blah blah

Logue yells at him for being stupid and a rookie, even using the word rookie without explicitly stating his name even though it's cliched

Sergeant: Bullock, Gordon, you're up blah blah blah

TheyCallMeAzul

All Star
Daps
Seen better, seen worse. Pretty cliche (mainly the dialogue) to be honest but there's definitely an interesting relationship between the two detectives. Penguin was great as well. Also, an Australian Alfred, breh?:why:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Funny you say that because I was watching a scene where Gordon and his partner were talking. There was all of these late 80s to 90s cars in the background and I was kind of figuring it was set in that time period, then a 2000s hybrid passed by in the background. :dwillhuh: I mean yeah you're shooting in city streets somewhere but even I know how to edit out cars in scenes like that. Kind of threw me off, but otherwise I enjoyed the show. That's just me nitpicking.
They could be going for that vaguely timeless era like how the animated show did where it was like the 1940s but everyone had modern technology too.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Seen better, seen worse. Pretty cliche (mainly the dialogue) to be honest but there's definitely an interesting relationship between the two detectives. Penguin was great as well. Also, an Australian Alfred, breh?:why:
He's British, bruh...speaking with a working class cockney accent though.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Just caught up on it, and I have to say I really enjoyed it.:leon: I had very low expectations going in, so maybe that's why I wasn't disappointed.

Things I loved:

- The Penguin. Oh boy, Oswald Cobblepot is really fascinating. I love the way they are playing with this particular character and storyline, and Robin Lord Taylor can act his ass off.
- Fish Mooney. I hate her character's name, but Jada Pinkett-Smith is bringing life to this cliche corrupt gang boss character. She plays mean very well. When she told her goon to kill Harvey for threatening her I was like :gladbron: and then she called Oswald's bluff and told him to cut his vein open :pachaha:. You can tell she's having fun.
- The chance to watch Bruce grow. I'm so excited about seeing Bruce's developmental years, which are never shown. I like some of the previews with him testing his limits, and the end of this episode with him playing with fear. :smugbiden:

Things that I hated:

- Catwoman. So far, I really, really hate what they're doing with Catwoman. Why in the world is she following Bruce and Gordon around like some sort of 3rd person silent narrator. :mindblown: Booo. It's just weird and unbelievable. I hope they do something with her character soon, and it makes sense.
- Lack of subtlety. I know this is network tv, and they want to appeal to a wide audience, but they don't need to spell everything out, or over-emphasize things that will show up later. Prime example was Harvey telling Gordon about Pepper being seen with a string of pearls, and Gordon goes "Like the one Mrs. Wayne owned." :heh: No shyt! I don't like it when shows and books treat the audience like they are stupid. So I hope they ease up on that.
-Lack of world building. The show is called Gotham. I hope they spend more time on the character of the city, and not just the characters. I expected more of an overview and focus on different parts of the city. I know they want to focus on introducing characters, but city itself should be a character in the show, and right now I'm not sure it is.

Other than that, I think Gotham has a lot of potential. I am a little worried about the pacing, and I'm not sure if they have designed a grand outline for how all of the storylines will unfold over the next few seasons (if it gets renewed), but I'm down for the ride.