Google fires 28 employees protesting cloud deal with Israel

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
Energy completely misdirected. Why participate in protests at a tech company with that many people when you could literally just sabotage the systems, leave little hints in the variable naming as the reason why and get a nice severance package for your efforts? Then you could start protesting after the fact. :francis:

Seoul Gleou

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Energy completely misdirected. Why participate in protests at a tech company with that many people when you could literally just sabotage the systems, leave little hints in the variable naming as the reason why and get a nice severance package for your efforts? Then you could start protesting after the fact. :francis:
Because it hasn't started yet. The new contract was just signed and they couldn't in good conscience work on something that would actively kill people

Neither should Google.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Commit a criminal act that would immediately become The focus of your opposition?

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
Commit a criminal act that would immediately become The focus of your opposition?
It'd be really hard to prove criminality over incompetence in software and it's really easy to make small breaking tweaks to a system that could look like total accidents.

Seoul Gleou

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's really hard to prove the criminality of incompetence and it's really easy to make small breaking tweaks to a system that could look like total accidents.
Google already has a culture of hostility and punitive actions for its engineers. A slip up means you're out and will be replaced immediately. Same thing with Amazon

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I'd assume some of them arent actually in the coding part, probably not even on the cloud teams. But based on processes that I am asuming google code has, that code would be caught in a code review, and anybody could be a snitch, so I dunno if that's a way to go about it either. Unless you have the whole end to end development to prod deployment process covered by your own people

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
I'd assume some of them arent actually in the coding part, probably not even on the cloud teams. But based on processes that I am asuming google code has, that code would be caught in a code review, and anybody could be a snitch, so I dunno if that's a way to go about it either. Unless you have the whole end to end development to prod deployment process covered by your own people
:pachaha:

The Guru

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
IDK the laws on "employee protest" but this could set (well add fuel to the fire) a danger precedent, for certain narratives that get deemed "anti semetic"
It's not a precedent it's been the norm for decades.