Good graphics aren't just about System specs but more so a talented studio

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
It’s all dependent on the tricks the studios use to highlight the best assets. Using god of war the OG trilogy as an example; they used a fixed camera I’m certain other tricks are used as well for other games.

art style>graphics

Yeah, Naughty Dogs are gods at hiding the ‘shortcuts’. Like for the original Jak and Dexter games they would hide loading screens behind mountains and travel zones. They do they same thing with The Last of Us 2 also.

There’s also the trick all developers use where the only segments of the game that loads is front of the camera.

giphy.gif

Talented developers are like magicians they know how to make you pay attention and look where they need you to look to achieve the best results. That’s why we get a lot of great looking 1st party games. The developers only have to know the ins and outs to one platform and can take advantage of it’s quirks rather than having to performs tricks for several different ones.

Also, there’s the idea of art direction. A good art direction knows what assets to highlight and which to remain static. It’s very clever the way Sony’s studios have manage to utilize their hardware for all it’s shortcomings.

Daps
Yeah, Naughty Dogs are gods at hiding the ‘shortcuts’. Like for the original Jak and Dexter games they would hide loading screens behind mountains and travel zones. They do they same thing with The Last of Us 2 also.

There’s also the trick all developers use where the only segments of the game that loads is front of the camera.

giphy.gif

Talented developers are like magicians they know how to make you pay attention and look where they need you to look to achieve the best results. That’s why we get a lot of great looking 1st party games. The developers only have to know the ins and outs to one platform and can take advantage of it’s quirks rather than having to performs tricks for several different ones.

Also, there’s the idea of art direction. A good art direction knows what assets to highlight and which to remain static. It’s very clever the way Sony’s studios have manage to utilize their hardware for all it’s shortcomings.
This is why GOW CANNOT be cross gen (I hope)
Imagine what Sony's first party studios can do now with the speeds they have access to and the console being designed to address the bottlenecks that forced them to do the described technique above

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This is why GOW CANNOT be cross gen (I hope)
Imagine what Sony's first party studios can do now with the speeds they have access to and the console being designed to address the bottlenecks that forced them to do the described technique above

I’m not campaigning for it to be cross-gen I just think it makes sense if it’s coming out next year that it’s most likely cross gen. Maybe the finale installment in the trilogy will be fully next gen? :yeshrug:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
yea on consoles

you don't understand texture quality, lighting and shadows, and the last of us cutscenes aren't the same quality as the gameplay
the-last-of-us-part-ii-screenshots-05-en-us-29may20.jpg

nothing tremendous about that

like the graphic fidelity of consoles is just too low

1200x680 screenshot tho fam.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
dudes could just simply post pics too if they feel a way...but all I’m seeing is just “long-winded” passages :francis: