God Of War: Ragnarok (Nov. 9th, 2022) (PS4/PS5) (Valhalla DLC out 12/12/2023)

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
First preorder on my ps5 :blessed:

giphy.gif

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Is there much difference between Deluxe vs Standard? I wasn't bothered with going Deluxe if I can get the items in game

no primarily just an armor/weapons set…digital art book and soundtrack…the set is probably exclusive to that edition…as I think on it I might just go with the standard edition

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
This reads like he just watched all the previews and aggregated all of the takes.

All of the takes regarding the game's familiarity and how its "more of the same" sounds like complete bullshyt after nobody had none of this to say about Elden Ring which was pretty much open world Dark Souls.

Funny enough, i was reading reviews of TLOUP2 and a lot of people were saying that also in their write ups. That it felt like more TLOU and that the gameplay wasn’t that spectacular. Now look where we are a couple years later, and how people view the gameplay compared to TLOUP1.

Theres been very few game sequels that flipped the entire system around just because, GOW2018 was already an reinvention, anyone expecting another one hasn’t been gaming very long.

People are comparing the massive graphical upgrade Horizon got but people say that game is too much of the same also so im not really sure its even worth engaging with those type of criticisms at this point.

Yeah, its a completely bullshyt criticism. Especially with how people pick and choose when it seemingly matters and when it doesn't. Same with the crossgen argument. How come crossgen didnt hold Elden Ring back?

I'm expecting this to be the general narrative for this game when the reviews come out tomorrow.

I don't get the criticisms either. GOW 1&2 were PS2 games. 2 was released during the PS3 era. With an upscaled collection coming out PS3. GOW 3 was a true next gen upgrade that was only out on PS3.

I expect the same for the reboot.

The criticism would make more sense if this wasn't the second game in the rebooted series lol.

Like it made sense when they docked points off God of War Ascension for being "more of the same". That was like the what, the 5th or 6th title using the same combat.

But I'm pretty sure most people would love "more of the same" with GOW2018.

Sometimes, I wonder if the disconnect between developers and "more of the same" criticism is really just due to people replaying games too close to the new games.

Every time a sequel comes out, there's a wave of media types replaying the old game for content, or putting out "*insert title* Revisited" videos that require extensive playthroughs. The developers are looking at it from the viewpoint of the previous game having been release almost half a decade ago, and could use some familiar elements to get people back in the groove before going in with the new shyt. Just two different points of view.

I dont think revamping core gameplay mechanics is something developers are concerned about in the second game of a series. Instead the second game is usually when they take inventory, and they double down on the things that worked in the first game, while removing the things that didn't. Their main concern is going to be moving the story forward before reinventing the wheel again.

I think journalism in gaming is just trash and full of idiots.
But didn't this forum kill Forbidden West for being more of the same? :fleece:

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
But didn't this forum kill Forbidden West for being more of the same? :fleece:

The forum liked it from what I can remember. It's the media that was weird on the game.

Honestly that game would've gotten straight 10s if it dropped on a Nintendo console.