God Of War: Ragnarok (Nov. 9th, 2022) (PS4/PS5) (Valhalla DLC out 12/12/2023)

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
after finishing A Plague Tale and watching All Quiet on The Western Front, im legit nervous about how this game is gonna end. People acting really emotional about it and i feel like this is gonna destroy me.

I know Santa Monica Studios ain’t pullin no punches with this game

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
Someone on the other site gor the game early. Spoiler free impressions after playing 5 hours :

I'm only 5 hours into the game, and I've barely even scratched the surface of this adventure, so I can only speak about the opening bit. I now completely understand some of those previews from a week ago talking about the game and whether or not it "does enough" to depart from the first game.

To preface, GoW 2018 is in my top 10 favorite games of all time. Some other games that would be on that list (just so you know my taste) are Bayonetta 2, Dark Souls, The Last of Us, The Last of Us Part II, Skyrim, Elden Ring, Mario 64, Mario Galaxy 2, and Resident Evil 4.

Ragnarok, so far, is the most iterative sequel to an original game that I believe I have ever played. Everything from GoW 2018 is here in these opening hours. And when I write everything, I literally mean EVERYTHING: boats, puzzles, docking the boat on islands to fight enemies and solve puzzles and break 3 seals to open chests with the same loot as the first game, the same looking map, the exact same skills, very similar narrative beats and story progression, same combat so far (people saying it is smoother might just be remembering the 30fps from the original release? - having recently played it on PC, the combat is identical so far, though that isn't a bad thing per se).

It is so eerily similar to the original game in its opening hours that it actually kind of had me questioning SMS' intentions. Are they setting this up to then pull the rug out from players familiar with the first game? Surely they are aware of how similar this is in SO many ways to the first game that so many of us have already played numerous times.

Count me as one of the fans who saw the trailer and was ALL for "more of the same" given just how good the original game is. What I did not expect was just how similar that "same" would play out and feel in practice. This really was not what I had in mind, but I think that's perfectly okay...for now.

Oddly, the very few things that have changed are not as cool as how they were in the first game. Can't say more on this without spoilers, so I will just leave it at that for now.

That being said, I am enjoying Ragnarok a lot. Traversal with the blades of chaos adds fun verticality to areas and a nice flow missing from the first game when gaining altitude.

The graphics look fantastic. The performances and story are very solid so far. Judge and Suljic are better than ever as Kratos and Atreus. The returning and new supporting characters and wonderful as well.

I had two major complaints about the first game:

1. Boss encounters were not epic or memorable enough outside of the opening fight.

I've heard from numerous people who have beaten the game that Ragnarok remedies this in a BIG way, but I haven't played enough of the game to see it myself. I will say that the setpieces I have experienced are fantastic and already in a league over the first game.

2. Not enough enemy variety, especially minibosses being overused like the trolls and elementals.

Done and done here.

Ragnarok has way more enemy variety than the first game so far at the 5-hour mark. The minibosses have been cool and varied as well.

I am excited to keep playing and see how varied the game will become. I know SMS has a lot up their sleeves here because I feel they gave absolutely nothing away in the trailer.

If the familiarity does continue to this extreme a degree, though, I am curious how it could impact my overall impressions of the full game. If the narrative fails to land the ending and tie up the Norse saga in an epic and satisfying way, the quality of the game will heavily fall on the gameplay and level design - two aspects that, at this VERY early stage of the game, seem a bit too familiar in a "more of the same" manner, which could cause some mixed reactions from audiences and reviewers - likely the difference between a high-80/low-90 and a mid-high 90 review score like the first game received.

I'm very curious to see where things go. The story is good, and I care about what happens next, which is a lot more than I can say about many other games.

I'm sure this take will age like spoiled milk in the coming days as I dig deeper in the game, but as far as initial impressions go, there you have it 😀.

This reads like he just watched all the previews and aggregated all of the takes.

All of the takes regarding the game's familiarity and how its "more of the same" sounds like complete bullshyt after nobody had none of this to say about Elden Ring which was pretty much open world Dark Souls.

Last edited:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I didn't know there were spoilers in here. I'm glad I didn't see it.

Why would anyone would put the spoilers in here? Must be Xbox fans being salty as fukk or something
Nah thats just a lame being lame. No reason to ruin people's gaming experience. But also a reminder I need to stop clicking on this thread until I beat the game

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This reads like he just watched all the previews and aggregated all of the takes.

All of the takes regarding the game's familiarity and how its "more of the same" sounds like complete bullshyt after nobody had none of this to say about Elden Ring which was pretty much open world Dark Souls.

Funny enough, i was reading reviews of TLOUP2 and a lot of people were saying that also in their write ups. That it felt like more TLOU and that the gameplay wasn’t that spectacular. Now look where we are a couple years later, and how people view the gameplay compared to TLOUP1.

Theres been very few game sequels that flipped the entire system around just because, GOW2018 was already an reinvention, anyone expecting another one hasn’t been gaming very long.

People are comparing the massive graphical upgrade Horizon got but people say that game is too much of the same also so im not really sure its even worth engaging with those type of criticisms at this point.

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL
Hope we get concept art Freya

douglaschaves-freya-valkyrie-armor-3-d56d7e81-b304.jpg