GOAT Mario game(s)?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
SMB3 is the GOAT. It had sharper level design, more varied locales, better minigames, and more variety and versatility in it's powerups from the Tanuki/Frog/Hammer suits. :ahh:
The challenge was better too. From surviving against Boss Bass in World 3, The tricky platforming in World 5's sky stages, the slippery ice levels in World 6, the brutally difficult pirahana plant mazes in World 7, and the Airship/Tank/Battleship armadas in World 8 (not to mention the World 8 fortress), the difficulty was way more on point.

Finding secrets underwater with the frog suit :blessed:
White toad houses, coin ships :blessed:
The giant shoe :blessed:
When you lost your hammer/tanuki suit :pacspit:
Surviving that World 8 airship armada at the end :whew:

A lot of people bring up Mario World, (which is still a good game) but all of it's levels share the same 3 or 4 tilesets, the powerups aren't nearly as diverse, but my biggest issue is that the game is way too easy, IMO.
The cape is mad broken and basically ethers any challenge that game could have had. The first two Mario games were more of a legit challenge. The cape lets you oneshot nearly any enemy in the game with its spin attack, you can fly forever and bypass 3/4's of the levels with little effort, you get free mercy invincibility if you're hit while flying, and it shows up in almost every level. (the Hammer suit was OP, but at least that only shows up in 2 or 3 levels if you're lucky)

The Blue Yoshi was also stupidly OP :whoo:

I loved the castles, ghost houses, and the secret levels and hidden exits in SMW, but the game is just too unbalanced for me to rank it up there with the GOAT SMB3.

(Speaking of Mario 2, that game is way underrated. Not as good as 1 and 3, but still dope.)

Best platformer: SMB3 (shout-out to Yoshi's Island)
Best RPG: Super Mario RPG (Paper Mario 2 is close)
Best Racing game: Super Mario Kart (SNES, shout-out to MKDS)

IslandG

All Star
Daps
SMB3 is the GOAT. It had sharper level design, more varied locales, better minigames, and more variety and versatility in it's powerups from the Tanuki/Frog/Hammer suits. :ahh:
The challenge was better too. From surviving against Boss Bass in World 3, The tricky platforming in World 5's sky stages, the slippery ice levels in World 6, the brutally difficult pirahana plant mazes in World 7, and the Airship/Tank/Battleship armadas in World 8 (not to mention the World 8 fortress), the difficulty was way more on point.

A lot of people bring up Mario World, (which is still a good game) but all of it's levels share the same 3 or 4 tilesets, the powerups aren't nearly as diverse, but my biggest issue is that the game is way too easy, IMO.
The cape is mad broken and basically ethers any challenge that game could have had. The first two Mario games were more of a legit challenge. The cape lets you oneshot nearly any enemy in the game with its spin attack, you can fly forever and bypass 3/4's of the levels with little effort, you get free mercy invincibility if you're hit while flying, and it shows up in almost every level. (the Hammer suit was OP, but at least that only shows up in 2 or 3 levels if you're lucky)

I loved the castles, ghost houses, and the secret levels and hidden exits in SMW, but the game is just too unbalanced for me to rank it up there with the GOAT SMB3.

(Speaking of Mario 2, that game is way underrated. Not as good as 1 and 3, but still dope.)

Spoken like a a true platformer connoisseur
:myman:

teacher

All Star
Daps
Mario World for 2d & 3D( that co-op :wow:) and paper Mario on the wii(because that's the only Mario RPG I've ever played :lolbron:)

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Can't disagree.

But what about galaxy and 64?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Can't disagree.

But what about galaxy and 64?

Good question :myman:

I should have split the categories for 2D and 3D... both are dope games. I'm leaning a little more towards 64. I love Galaxy for the dope challenges and it's wicked level design, but I appreciate 64's open-endedness and free-range exploration.

What tips the scales in favor of 64 for me is watching speedruns :whoo:
The skill ceiling in that game is crazy when you're really good, and the tighter controls allow you to push Mario as far as your skills allow you to.
There's a great argument for Galaxy having better level design in certain areas, but 64 wins by a hair for me, just for the fact that any place in the game you can see, you can get to-- you can do literally ANYTHING if you're good enough.

wb3s_O.gif

p2Xz1Dg.gif

And just because Sunshine was mentioned...

I always thought of Sunshine as a decent game with some good ideas that were implemented poorly. It wasn't horrible, but there was definitely a lot more they could have done with it.

You have a whole new locale full of new characters to meet and places to explore! :whoo:
...but there's only seven main levels in the whole game :what:
Mario has new moves with his FLUDD! :gladbron:
...but they got rid of his punches, kicks, long jumps, crouching, crawling, etc :why:
Mario has to clean up giant sludge monsters! :dwillhuh:
...but they're insanely easy and predictable :snoop:
...and the few enemies you actually come across are also insanely easy and predictable :snoop:
Yoshi is rideable in a 3D Mario! :krs:
...but you have to feed him constantly and he dissolves the second he touches water :beli:
Bowser is behind everything! :krs:
...but he spends the whole fight chilling in a bathtub :flabbynsick: