Ghostface Killah: Writing Classic Albums With Schizophrenia

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Running this story back:

Wu-Tang Clan “Triumph” (1997)
DIRECTOR’S COMMENTARY:
“It was the first million dollar rap video. When Steve Rifkind asked me, I said, ‘Are you sure about this record? There’s no chorus!’ He says “Trust me, its gonna be the biggest record of the year. Only Wu-Tang could pull this off.’ So, I set up the video—Joseph Kahn was my cinematographer. I hear that they want eleven Suburbans—they each want their own. They each also want $50,000 worth of gear, and they told me all their designers. So first day, these guys are walking in one at a time, and each guy walks into the dressing room, and walks out with plastic bags filled with all the clothes. I called Steve like, ‘They’re stealing all the clothes!’ He’s like, ‘Don’t worry, let them have it.’”
“It’s a five day shoot, and it’s crazy. The greatest fukkin’ experience, they’re eating mushrooms the whole time. Ol’ Dirty never shows up. I was like, Oh my god, this is fukking insane! The most fun I ever had. After shooting ends, they all leave to go on tour in Europe, but Ghost never would travel, because he had diabetes. So he checks into a hotel, and they said, ‘Yo Ghost, you watch Brett, and watch over that edit, man. White devil could fukk it up!” So, we’re in the edit room, and we call the group on speakerphone. And it’s the funniest thing, this is embedded in my memory. They’re all on the phone like, ‘White muthafukkin’ devil, man, tryin’ to rob us motherfukker!’ And Ghost is looking at me while on speakerphone, just winking at me like, I love you man! [laughs].”
“So three days into the edit, I get a call that Ghost had had been kicked out of like eleven hotels, and I’m like, ‘Why were you kicked out?’ He’s like, ‘I don’t know man, I got fukked up, and I just start breaking shyt. Can you come get me? I got no place to stay.’ So I let him stay at my house. Suddenly my phone rings, and it’s Steve Rifkind, ‘Whats going on?’ I go, ‘Nothing, I’m just bringing Ghost over my house ’cause he got kicked out of the hotel.’ Then there’s silence on the other end of the phone. I say, ‘Whats wrong?’ He goes, ‘I gotta call you back.’ Five days later, he calls me up and goes, ‘Are you okay? Oh my God, you scared the shyt outta me, man. How can you let this guy stay at your house? I don’t even let these guys know where I live!’ I go, ‘What do you mean? He’s the nicest guy in the world.’ He goes, ‘You don’t know what Ghostface has? He hallucinates, he hears voices like kill your mom, kill your mom. He has to be medicated because he has homicidal thoughts.’ So a month goes by, and I would edit all day, and Ghost would just chill at my house until we finished. A month later, I’m with my girlfriend in the backyard, and the cat starts going fukking crazy and starts digging into the dirt. We dig up a bucket of fried chicken. Ghost buried a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken in the backyard. How fukkin’ freaky is that?”
That shyt with them stealing the clothes reminds me of this Roc-A-Fella video shoot with State Property. I think it was Oschino's manager getting into a fist fight with one of the Roc staff over them getting mad over wanting to take clothes home. The vid confirmed so much shyt you hear about rappers being difficult to deal with. From some random hanger-on as a manager, trying to steal the clothes, the big egos, and just causing drama for no reason.

MicIsGod

They like what that mean
Daps
Reppin
Atl
This is an externality of bad gut biome - eating too much sugar and processed foods

Basically standard American diet

This is an autoimmune disorder
Man said he got it from undiagnosed diabetes. I called bullshyt but nothing about him says he’s mentally ill anymore. So it must have been an episode. Didn’t even know diabetes could do that.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Superstar
Daps
Man said he got it from undiagnosed diabetes. I called bullshyt but nothing about him says he’s mentally ill anymore. So it must have been an episode. Didn’t even know diabetes could do that.
Diabetes is either genetic or autoimmune

All of the brain's chemistry is based on neurotransmitters that are produced in the gut

Even a change in mood will temporarily change the gut biome

The American medical system is sponsored curriculum and doctor-in-a-box solutions to cover up symptoms rather than to address cause

They don't even look at nutrition and the fact that I have to say anymore than that alone and people will still cling to their belief in it highlights the amount of 🐑 that run rampant through our culture

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
That shyt with them stealing the clothes reminds me of this Roc-A-Fella video shoot with State Property. I think it was Oschino's manager getting into a fist fight with one of the Roc staff over them getting mad over wanting to take clothes home. The vid confirmed so much shyt you hear about rappers being difficult to deal with. From some random hanger-on as a manager, trying to steal the clothes, the big egos, and just causing drama for no reason.

That situation wasn't about tryna steal clothes. O was tryna take the clothes marked for him, since he wouldn't be at the next day shoot. Big Face was saying they couldn't take the clothes until after the shoot was over. But O had already seen that they had already paid for the clothes out of their budget, so he just wanted his before he left since it was already paid for. That's what's started the argument and fight. The kicker is that Big Face and the rest of production were taking the clothes and selling them right after the shoots.

Theo Penn

on that Earl Stevens wine
Daps
I posted the Rifkind story in the American Saga thread.

No one knows exactly what causes schizophrenia, but they think it's mostly derived from trauma. But of course, the dust use probably accelerated it.

PCP can definitely induce psychosis and scientists found that it can cause every single symptom of schizophrenia. Ghost is being a bit disingenuous by not mentioning his use of dust. Shaolin was the dust capital of NY and those Wu niccas were on it heavy.

Triggered by weed my ass :mjlol:

Clinical study link

Psychosis Induced by Phencyclidine (Also Called PCP or Angel Dust)

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
Seen him at the Nas concert, he came out and killed his set harder than the rest of the Wu in a blue mink.

Only mfer on Earth that could stunt that hard with schizofrenia
This is crazy, I never knew this about Ghost. I'm not sure if people realize how it is nearly impossible to live a somewhat normal life with schizophrenia. It's a miracle Ghost made it out of all of that.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
PCP can definitely induce psychosis and scientists found that it can cause every single symptom of schizophrenia. Ghost is being a bit disingenuous by not mentioning his use of dust. Shaolin was the dust capital of NY and those Wu niccas were on it heavy.

Triggered by weed my ass :mjlol:

Clinical study link

Psychosis Induced by Phencyclidine (Also Called PCP or Angel Dust)

weed can and will ABSOLUTELY trigger psychosis in people with schizophrenia, obviously yes, dust is a huge player here Lol. It's all of it combined, alcohol, dust, mushrooms, weed, ecstasy, et al. All horrible for someone with mental issues. He's not being disingenuous here.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Superstar
Daps

:picard:

Independent rappers > :scusthov:

TrifeGod

Chasing The Dragon
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds

All of the brain's chemistry is based on neurotransmitters that are produced in the gut

The American medical system is sponsored curriculum and doctor-in-a-box solutions to cover up symptoms rather than to address cause

They don't even look at nutrition and the fact that I have to say anymore than that alone and people will still cling to their belief in it highlights the amount of 🐑 that run rampant through our culture

:ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh:

This makes so much sense on many levels

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps

They absolutely look at nutrition, my sister is a registered dietician and works at hospitals. You ever try to get grown humans to eat a specific diet? It’s nearly impossible, even if they’re confined to a hospital room they have family members who bring them what they want. We have a ton of scientific evidence that the healthiest diet is the Mediterranean diet, and you still have people eating all meat or all vegan etc.