Gentrification leaves black DC behind

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
That's messed up. But what's startling is that 90 percent of white people have college degrees. I don't buy that number for a second.

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
What about our brown brothas & sistas RUNNING Columbia Heights?

I'm kinda over these articles though. Especially since we eating in Southern Maryland.
Yeah I agree. Most of my friends in DC own homes and work in government. One just bought one near Adrian Fenty's old neighborhood. Another near Fort Totten near that new Walmart. My bougie friends stay in Arlington with White folks. Now they are your quintessential light-skinned MBA, MPA negroes who were raised properly but they still own and prosper in the city and not in PG or Anne Arundel or Northern VA, except one or two who live in Fairfax/Loudoun. And gentrification leaves poor unskilled people behind. The areas where blacks are concentrated now were not the same demographics prior to the 1920s to 60s.

• Dap
Reactions: Dad

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
I was in DC visiting friends a few weeks ago and my homie told me that DC rent is outta control now. According to him the average cost of rent is at $1600 down there. And with the recent housing crisis of black folks losing their homes and their houses going down in value when they're in them, it's hard to see an immediate solution.

DC is affordable the cost of living is high but they are surrounded by the top 5 richest counties in the nation were median income is 100-120K so 1600 rent isn't shyt and they have better waiting lists for their affordable units (i.e. a few months to maybe a year wait for someone who makes $50K to live in a $1000 a month apartment). Still can get a good home in PG for under 260K. Also, like many cities, it's a roommate town.

Come out to the Wild Wild West where in San Francisco the pay is high but base rent starts at $2700 (without the strong black presence, literally being the only nikka in Castro unless you want to move to East Bay) or even So Cal like San Diego where salaries are lower than national average bc people take a cut in pay to live in a place with perfect weather with $1700 rent for a one bedroom and homes average $450K+ in the hood. DC is a cakewalk compared to California with reliable transit (unlike So Cal) and factor the higher than national average gasoline cost.

Poor unskilled families need to improve their lot. It really no sense after the 1960s for someone not to finish high school or have a G.E.D with some type of trade or skillset. And of course 90% of Whites are educated in DC because they are typically transplants. And landlords want educated tenants with young families because they have the money with less drama/crime than those without it. Also they know how to take advantage of those ignorant ass homeowners who sold their houses cheap to move to the burbs in the late 80s/mid 90s when DC was indeed a shyt hole and murder capital. It was the skilled and educated Washingtonians who fled 25 years ago to escape crime. Those who stayed didn't own and couldn't afford to leave now gentrification is forcing them to move. Same as in Philly, Baltimore, NYC or any other metro on the East Coast. The families who did things correctly are not asking for handouts, just those residual nikkas in these inner cities.

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
That's messed up. But what's startling is that 90 percent of white people have college degrees. I don't buy that number for a second.
I do. I live out here. Most white people in the city are educated and moved to DC for their career/school. You might see a few homeless white guys and the ones with low paying jobs live in Maryland or VA and just work in DC. Most of the city's poor is black.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
DC is worthless to me. Once I get my degree, I'm gone. I don't see the appeal in paying near New York City prices for a city that's not even in the same discussion as New York.

What's worthless about it?

ManBearPig

half man half bearpig
Daps
Reppin
Chi-town
DC doesn't even look all that fun to live at.

Why just live in NYC if you like paying that much bread to make ends meet?

Wink Beaufield

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Southeast DC
Not all of us ghosted out to PG. I remember in the late 90s through early '00s my fam was pushing hard to get out the hood and buy homes throughout the city and now they eatin' damn good.

Especially the ones who bough houses over by Stadium Armory, Potomac Ave and Eastern Market metro stations. For an example my aunt renting her old house out to them cacs who pay her $4500 per month in rent. :blessed:

The next area thats on the gentrification map is the Benning Road/East Capitol Street area.

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
Being forced*

One of the unspoken problems of Gentrification re: Blacks....are Black Gentrifiers. many of them unknowningly contribute to the problem.

Lol oh they know, they just either are indifferent or have some form of "black middle class guilt" and post ironic shyt on social media about how bad white gentrifiers are. DC is just as expensive as NYC yet they don't have the amenities and culture of NYC, and their public transportation system is nowhere near the level of a NYC.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Lol oh they know, they just either are indifferent or have some form of "black middle class guilt" and post ironic shyt on social media about how bad white gentrifiers are. DC is just as expensive as NYC yet they don't have the amenities and culture of NYC, and their public transportation system is nowhere near the level of a NYC.
So where can middle class blacks go?

Paradise50

Superstar
Daps
Poor unskilled families need to improve their lot. It really no sense after the 1960s for someone not to finish high school or have a G.E.D with some type of trade or skillset. And of course 90% of Whites are educated in DC because they are typically transplants. And landlords want educated tenants with young families because they have the money with less drama/crime than those without it. Also they know how to take advantage of those ignorant ass homeowners who sold their houses cheap to move to the burbs in the late 80s/mid 90s when DC was indeed a shyt hole and murder capital. It was the skilled and educated Washingtonians who fled 25 years ago to escape crime. Those who stayed didn't own and couldn't afford to leave now gentrification is forcing them to move. Same as in Philly, Baltimore, NYC or any other metro on the East Coast. The families who did things correctly are not asking for handouts, just those residual nikkas in these inner cities.

a bunch of cold hearted truths in this paragraph :wow: