General Elon Musk Fukkery Thread

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Thread doesn't hit the same when the biggest detractors are also TikTok stans :mjlol:

How the fukk does Tiktok relate to Elon Musk promoting White Supremacy via Twitter? :why:

It's like y'all have completely given up on logical arguments or information, and solely post now to attack your perceived personal "enemies" on the left. The comment has literally no constructive purpose in this thread at all.

For what it's worth, I don't think @MushroomX, @ADevilYouKnow, @Robbie3000, @88m3, @The axe murderer, @BigMoneyGrip or myself are "tiktok stans". But this is just a continuation of the embarrassingly repetitive troll technique that you, @88m3, and @wire28 keep repeating on HL, which is to take a single beef you have with one poster and, rather than naming that single person, vaguely use generalities to implicate everyone you dislike with some general attack that doesn't even apply to them.

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
How the fukk does Tiktok relate to Elon Musk promoting White Supremacy via Twitter? :why:

It's like y'all have completely given up on logical arguments or information, and solely post now to attack your perceived personal "enemies" on the left. The comment has literally no constructive purpose in this thread at all.

For what it's worth, I don't think @MushroomX, @ADevilYouKnow, @Robbie3000, @88m3, @The axe murderer, @BigMoneyGrip or myself are "tiktok stans". But this is just a continuation of the embarrassingly repetitive troll technique that you, @88m3, and @wire28 keep repeating on HL, which is to take a single beef you have with one poster and, rather than naming that single person, vaguely use generalities to implicate everyone you dislike with some general attack that doesn't even apply to them.

I don't have a TikTok. I get the buzz, but it's not my style of viewing videos.

I just cheer for the demise of Twitter as while I use it, it's also a outdated platform (I am not talking about racism, misogyny, etc.) that really is only around because of Ad Revenue. When it crashes I have other platform that I will rely on.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I'm disgusted by tiktok and twitter @Professor Emeritus

I think he's pointing out that people in here are upset about twitter and a lot of the dangers that it creates while they aren't upset by tiktok which has the same exact issues.

But in the context of this argument, it's a Red Herring Fallacy, because it's not "the same exact issues". The owner of TikTok isn't personally broadcasting and amplifying White Supremacy and right-wing politics to the world. TikTok has numerous issues and I personally would love to see it banned, but for entirely different reasons that Twitter is being criticized for in this thread.

He's also making a false generalization / strawman, because he claims that the major players in this thread are defenders of TikTok, when in reality he's only speaking (arguably unfairly) about a single person he's beefing with.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
maybe this drug addled egomaniac dikkhead will get the last laugh, but thinking bout the chain of events of his twitter takeover is insane. every step has been baffling and bad. dude showed up to HQ holding a sink thinking he was funny. then he installed a fukkin strobe light that blinded his neighbors. then he allowed all the worst people on the internet back. then in the name of "free speech and bot blocking" he forced people to spend $8 a month of their shyt will get buried, then even more bots showed up and the worst people realized $8 was a pittance to turn the site into a propaganda machine x10, then he changed the name to a stupid teenager's idea of an edgy letter overnight. then he claimed Twitter would become people's bank or some shyt? then he told advertisters to go fukk themselves. then he introduced "non-woke" AI. i mean, jesus fukkin christ dude.

and all the while he's been on an absolute speedrun we've seen so many losers go on. "No one likes me, i must become more and more Republican and racist, and most importantly attack trans people and immigrants b/c that's the hot button tirhgt now... I must ecalate my rhetoric to the point only newsmax would ever allow talking heads on my level." i don't want to ever see a movie about this a$$hole, but if they do decide to Social Network this past year, it would be a wild ride. hope he ODs before the election. i don't wish shyt like that on people, but i hope they find this dude stiff as a board in one of his stupid underground tunnels.

can anyone think of a single thing he's said or promised since twitter became x that made you think, "oh, that's actually a good idea?" and of course you've got the "both sides" people doing the same old bullshyt, "twitter was always bad" stuff, like it was THIS bad. it wasn't.

AStrangeName

Member of Snitch Syndication
Daps
maybe this drug addled egomaniac dikkhead will get the last laugh, but thinking bout the chain of events of his twitter takeover is insane. every step has been baffling and bad. dude showed up to HQ holding a sink thinking he was funny. then he installed a fukkin strobe light that blinded his neighbors. then he allowed all the worst people on the internet back. then in the name of "free speech and bot blocking" he forced people to spend $8 a month of their shyt will get buried, then even more bots showed up and the worst people realized $8 was a pittance to turn the site into a propaganda machine x10, then he changed the name to a stupid teenager's idea of an edgy letter overnight. then he claimed Twitter would become people's bank or some shyt? then he told advertisters to go fukk themselves. then he introduced "non-woke" AI. i mean, jesus fukkin christ dude.

and all the while he's been on an absolute speedrun we've seen so many losers go on. "No one likes me, i must become more and more Republican and racist, and most importantly attack trans people and immigrants b/c that's the hot button tirhgt now... I must ecalate my rhetoric to the point only newsmax would ever allow talking heads on my level." i don't want to ever see a movie about this a$$hole, but if they do decide to Social Network this past year, it would be a wild ride. hope he ODs before the election. i don't wish shyt like that on people, but i hope they find this dude stiff as a board in one of his stupid underground tunnels.

can anyone think of a single thing he's said or promised since twitter became x that made you think, "oh, that's actually a good idea?" and of course you've got the "both sides" people doing the same old bullshyt, "twitter was always bad" stuff, like it was THIS bad. it wasn't.
He made it clear that if he got his hands on Twitter, that he'll ruin the platform. It was one of those moments that people shouldn't called his bluff as he wasn't bluffing at all. His :mjpls: nature was going to come out regardless if he gotten the platform or not, as there was a lot of smoke coming out of Tesla and him benefited off of Apartheid, so people were already putting the pieces together on what type of person he is.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Fewer people are using Elon Musk’s X as the platform struggles to attract and keep users, according to analysts​

X usage has declined as downloads of Threads have surged in recent weeks.

Workers install lighting on an X sign atop the company headquarters, formerly known as Twitter, in downtown San Francisco, on July 28, 2023.

Workers install lighting on an "X" sign atop the company headquarters in downtown San Francisco, in 2023.Noah Berger / AP file

March 22, 2024, 9:00 PM UTC

By David Ingram

The number of people using X daily is falling, more than a year after tech billionaire Elon Musk bought the app formerly known as Twitter.

Data from two research firms and figures published by Musk and X suggest a deteriorating situation for X by some metrics. Musk has marketed it as the world’s “town square,” but in number of users it continues to lag far behind social media rivals that focus on video, such as Instagram and TikTok.

In February, X had 27 million daily active users of its mobile app in the U.S., down 18% from a year earlier, according to Sensor Tower, a market intelligence firm based in San Francisco. The U.S. user base has been flat or down every month since November 2022, the first full month of Musk’s owning the app, and in total it’s down 23% since then, Sensor Tower said.

The numbers were nearly as bad worldwide, as daily active users on the mobile app fell to 174 million in February, down 15% from a year earlier, the firm said. The worldwide user base has been flat or down every month during Musk’s tenure began except one, when it grew slightly in October and then resumed falling, according to Sensor Tower.

Other social media apps experienced modest increases in their worldwide user bases during the same period, according to the research, with Snapchat growing 8.8%, Instagram 5.3%, Facebook 1.5% and TikTok 0.5%. Those apps all experienced declines over that period in the U.S., but none was as steep as the decline on X.

X had “the most material decline in active users compared to its peers,” Abe Yousef, a senior insights analyst at Sensor Tower, wrote in a research report.

“This decline in X mobile app active users may have been driven by user frustration over flagrant content, general platform technical issues, and the growing threat of short-form video platforms,” he wrote.

Under Musk’s ownership, X has relaxed content moderation rules that previously limited hateful content, such as white supremacist imagery, and Musk has welcomed back to the platform some users whom the old Twitter management had banned. In December, he reinstated the accounts of conspiracy theorist Alex Jones and his Infowars website and then held a public audio-only event with Jones.

X said in a post Monday that the worldwide number is higher than what Sensor Tower data shows, with 250 million people using X every day globally. That would still be a decrease from when Musk bought the app. Musk said in 2022 that, at about the time he completed the purchase in late October, Twitter had about 258 million “monetizable daily active users,” the company’s metric at the time.

X didn’t respond to a request for additional information. It didn’t say how it defines who counts as an active user — a metric that by its name may appear straightforward but that tech platforms define differently.

On a monthly basis, X has 550 million people using it, according to the company. That figure represents growth of 1.5% since July, when Musk said X had 542 million monthly users.

Sensor Tower defines a daily active user as someone who “registered a session of at least two seconds in length, once in that day.” It says its data comes from a panel of consumers who provide access to their information in exchange for the use of other apps, including apps that track screen time.

Advertisers have also left X, Sensor Tower said, with 75 out of the top 100 U.S. advertisers on X from October 2022 having ceased ad spending on it. The exodus spiked toward the end of last year, after Musk publicly embraced an antisemitic conspiracy theory and told advertisers at a conference in New York, “Go f--- yourself.”

In recent days, Musk has urged his 177 million followers on X to get more people onto the platform. On Sunday, he posted instructions for how to share posts with friends, a basic function of social media.

“Please send links from this platform to your friends who are still being misled by the legacy media!” he wrote in a separate post Sunday.

Musk has also shifted the platform’s business model from being almost entirely ad-supported to one that also has four subscription tiers, from free to a Premium+ service that starts at $16 a month.

Sensor Tower said that, according to its research, X’s revenue from in-app purchases last month was about $9.5 million, including for X subscriptions and payments to creators.

“This still remains just a fraction of revenue that the company was previously generating from advertising in its last year as a public entity,” Yousef wrote. Twitter in July 2022 reported $1.18 billion in revenue for the previous three months.

X has been helped by the lack of a clear text-based social media alternative. Threads, a competitor launched by Instagram and its parent company, Meta, had 1.6 million daily active U.S. mobile users in February, according to Sensor Tower, and 14 million worldwide.

Threads has a potential major advantage over other upstart apps because it is closely integrated with Instagram — users of Instagram can see Threads posts in their feeds and create accounts relatively easily. That has translated into a whopping disparity in downloads, according to a second research firm, Apptopia, based in Boston, which said Threads beat X in downloads worldwide by an 8-to-1 ratio in February.

Downloads were even more lopsided in the U.S. in February, with Threads getting about 16 downloads for every one download of X, Apptopia said.

“For microblogging platforms, X had dominant market share of app downloads right up until Threads launched,” Tom Grant, vice president of research at Apptopia, wrote in an email. “That turned market share completely on its head.”

There were 2.9 million downloads of X in the U.S. in February, up 14% from a year earlier but still below the 3.7 million in October 2022, the month Musk bought the company, according to Apptopia. Threads had 46.2 million downloads last month, Apptopia said.

Threads has ranked highly in some app store rankings lately, topping Apple’s chart for free apps Sunday and staying in the Top 4 for most of this week. X ranked No. 34 on the Apple app store Sunday and No. 30 on Friday. On Friday, Threads ranked No. 7 in Google’s Play store and X ranked No. 43.

But so far, the downloads haven’t translated into sustained growth for Threads, according to Sensor Tower. Another X competitor, Bluesky, was even smaller, with 195,000 U.S. daily active mobile users in February, according to the research firm.

In its own data summary published Monday, X said that “1.7 million people join X every day.” That number is roughly triple the number of daily X downloads worldwide, according to Apptopia, and it suggests that X is growing at a rate of nearly 10% per month — far faster than any other source indicates.

Mindfield333

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NC
He's been actively trying to remove the things that makes Twitter, Twitter. He should've been better off making his own X app, as oppose buying Twitter.
His goal was to stop its influence. It’s not as easy to back check since everyone has blue checks… When it was reserved for news channels, government entities, politicians, and celebrities misinformation wasn’t as rampant as it is now.

AStrangeName

Member of Snitch Syndication
Daps
His goal was to stop its influence. It’s not as easy to back check since everyone has blue checks… When it was reserved for news channels, government entities, politicians, and celebrities misinformation wasn’t as rampant as it is now.
Yep, now that damn near everyone has a blue check now, topics don't even have a proper flow anymore. If someone tweet something that ends up viral, the comment section will have nothing related to the post. It's even worse with anything political related.