Gen Z feel uncomfortable about thumbs up emoji because it’s ‘passive aggressive’

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
Do you think they can cancel it?

Young people have been urging everyone to stop using the ‘thumbs up’ emoji as because it’s too “passive aggressive”.

A Reddit user took to the platform to ask fellow millennials and Gen Zs were also getting wound up by the ‘thumbs up’ emoji.

They wrote: “I started an ‘adult’ job where we use Microsoft Teams to connect with each other for work.
“Currently, there only a few emojis you can use to react to a message (unless of course, you respond, and can use any emoji). Most people at work use the ‘thumbs up’ reaction all the time.
“I don’t use it much. I either ‘heart’ reactions or reply even if it’s a short ‘Great!’ or ‘Thanks!’ (I also feel like I use too many exclamation marks, but that’s a different story).

“Anyway, I think it’s normal for to ‘thumbs up’ messages, but I still feel like it’s such an unsettling response. Does anyone else feel this way?”
And they were meant with a deluge of replies – some in agreement, others not so much.

One person commented: “If you feel comfortable using a heart emoji, I am so confused by why you hesitate using the thumbs up. I used the thumbs up (in my mind ‘I agree” or ‘ok’) way before I used the heart (‘love it’ or ‘feeling the feels’). But that’s just me.”

“Anyway, I think it’s normal for to ‘thumbs up’ messages, but I still feel like it’s such an unsettling response. Does anyone else feel this way?”
And they were meant with a deluge of replies – some in agreement, others not so much.

One person commented: “If you feel comfortable using a heart emoji, I am so confused by why you hesitate using the thumbs up. I used the thumbs up (in my mind ‘I agree” or ‘ok’) way before I used the heart (‘love it’ or ‘feeling the feels’). But that’s just me.”
I do agree with the thumbs up being passive aggressive.

Metal Face

Superstar
Daps
wwe-batista.gif

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
I mean yeah, I don't even think that's generational. Unless it's coming from somebody over 55 I always assume it's passive aggressive

Although I actually use it a lot for likes in comment threads for work in place of the usual heart emoji. fukk I look like sending ❤️'s :dame:

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Nah they’re spot on with this one. But I don’t think they came up with it either

We all text. We all deal with women. Just thru the natural progression of texting for 10+ years everyone knows (or should know) a thumbs up—-unless it’s to confirm an arrangement—-typically denotes passive aggression or indifference

A thumbs up text from your girl is akin to ‘it’s fine’ which we know is passive aggressive. Or if you dealin with a new chick if she thumbs up your shyt you not that guy. Thumbs up vs heart. Handshake vs hug. She handshaked you. You not that guy