gaming is in a weird place

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Nintendo franchises don’t change more than any other long time franchises. Sony, Microsoft and everybody else has new IPs, and I never denied Nintendo games have a gameplay focus. That’s what they do best.
Because Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy, and Mario 3D World all play about as similar to each other as Gears of War, 2, 3, and 4? Metroid Prime doesn't quite play like Super Metroid or Metroid Other M. Zelda OoT, Skyward Sword, and Breath of the Wild all play the same right?

You just can't give Nintendo credit can you? I criticize Nintendo all the time as they deserve to be but they do well to reinvent franchises all the time and switch up the play mechanics.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Because Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy, and Mario 3D World all play about as similar to each other as Gears of War, 2, 3, and 4?
Yes they fukking do.:stopitslime:

Metroid Prime doesn't quite play like Super Metroid or Metroid Other M.
2d to 3d other games have made similar changes.

Zelda OoT, Skyward Sword, and Breath of the Wild all play the same right?
Yes they play the same. Have changed just as much as something like assasins creed.

You just can't give Nintendo credit can you? I criticize Nintendo all the time as they deserve to be but they do well to reinvent franchises all the time and switch up the play mechanics.
:mjlol:

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps
Nintendo franchises don’t change more than any other long time franchises. Sony, Microsoft and everybody else has new IPs, and I never denied Nintendo games have a gameplay focus. That’s what they do best.

I know they don't change too much, but they try to innovate in whatever way they can, even if they're doing the most. Whether it's through 2 screens and a stylus, a screen on your controller, cardboard, motion controls, or just the mechanics of the game.

I don't know if you've played Handheld Zelda and Console Zelda games and seen the difference between the 2. Like Take Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass for example. These 2 games look the same but play differently due to taking full advantage of the systems that they're on.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Yes they fukking do.:stopitslime:

2d to 3d other games have made similar changes.

Yes they play the same. Have changed just as much as something like assasins creed.

:mjlol:
Maybe I'm out of touch. Do other people actually agree with this? I play those Nintendo franchise games I listed and while the sequels are still the same genre I feel like they play different to feel fresh. Even Mario Odyssey does enough to be somewhat different from Mario 64 with the hat and transformations.

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
Nintendo hasn't really been innovative in the past 5 years, in their games or their consoles. Nintendo's goal isn't that tho. They just want to sell games
You're a fukking moron.

The Switch literally reinvented gaming. Or does hardware no longer factor into you narrow definition of "innovation?"

Please tell me how Sony innovated anything in the last 10 years btw....:mjlol:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Anybody who says Nintendo didn’t innovate with the switch :ufdup:
Technically the Sega Nomad existed. A home console that plugs up to a TV isn't really their idea they just improved upon it.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I know they don't change too much, but they try to innovate in whatever way they can, even if they're doing the most. Whether it's through 2 screens and a stylus, a screen on your controller, cardboard, motion controls, or just the mechanics of the game.
They hit with the Wii and have sense been trying to hit again with a hardware gimmick and seem to have done it with the switch.

Sure they try new stuff but ultimately that stuff usually doesn’t amount to much as the games are playable across multiple hardware generations and they are quick to abandon their own gimmicks.

I don't know if you've played Handheld Zelda and Console Zelda games and seen the difference between the 2. Like Take Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass for example. These 2 games look the same but play differently due to taking full advantage of the systems that they're on.
I understand the handheld games are different than the the console ones. That’s expected and other devs do the same.

I’m not trying to shyt on Nintendo here. People just try to claim Nintendo is doing something “fresh and new” while everybody else is not.

Truth is, all major players cater to their fans and chose their spaces to try new stuff.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Maybe I'm out of touch. Do other people actually agree with this? I play those Nintendo franchise games I listed and while the sequels are still the same genre I feel like they play different to feel fresh. Even Mario Odyssey does enough to be somewhat different from Mario 64 with the hat and transformations.
And the aforementioned games change enough to feel somewhat new yet familiar. All longtime franchises do about the same.

Y’all trying to paint Nintendo as some new idea/ip factory when most of their stuff is iterative just like everybody else.

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps
They hit with the Wii and have sense been trying to hit again with a hardware gimmick and seem to have done it with the switch.

Sure they try new stuff but ultimately that stuff usually doesn’t amount to much as the games are playable across multiple hardware generations and they are quick to abandon their own gimmicks.

I understand the handheld games are different than the the console ones. That’s expected and other devs do the same.

I’m not trying to shyt on Nintendo here. People just try to claim Nintendo is doing something “fresh and new” while everybody else is not.

Truth is, all major players cater to their fans and chose their spaces to try new stuff.

Ah. Other companies are out here doing their thing, I can agree.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
And the aforementioned games change enough to feel somewhat new yet familiar. All longtime franchises do about the same.

Y’all trying to paint Nintendo as some new idea/ip factory when most of their stuff is iterative just like everybody else.
How new can a platformer get? The core gameplay mechanic of all those listed Mario games in entirely different. One of them has a water jetpack and one of them has you playing with gravity and flying around space and yet another has you tossing hats to transform into enemies and items in the environment.

The idea that those Mario games are damn near the same is pretty wild.

How does the core gameplay of say Gears of War change over the 4-5 games in comparison?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
How new can a platformer get? The core gameplay mechanic of all those listed Mario games in entirely different. One of them has a water jetpack and one of them has you playing with gravity and flying around space and yet another has you tossing hats to transform into enemies and items in the environment.

The idea that those Mario games are damn near the same is pretty wild.

How does the core gameplay of say Gears of War change over the 4-5 games in comparison?
You are talking out of both sides of your head here.

On one side you say “how new can a platformerget” then you try to claim the Mario games are profoundly different :beli:

In a game like gears new weapons, enemies and combat options change how you play the game. Not to mention new modes like hoard(a mode that gears pioneered and many games followed even the “original fresh and new Nintendo game” splatoon:mjlol:) and other multiplayer modes and maps.