Gamestop Starts Next Gen Layoffs

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos

Things are rough over at GameStop these days. With falling revenues, rising costs, and an increasing number of customers switching to digital, GameStop staff are feeling the brunt of it. One of those was laying off workers throughout 2022, leaving stores understaffed and remaining employees overworked. Things don't seem to have gotten any better in 2023, as a viral TikTok video shows.

TikTok user Red (@redsonjattv) gave us an update on the current state of GameStop. "Everything's on clearance," wrote Red. "No one comes in anymore and the corporate layoffs have started."

Related: Tears Of The Kingdom Leaks Should Worry Us, But Not For The Reason You Think

GameStop attempted to pivot away from strictly being a games retailer in 2021. First it wanted to mirror Amazon and become a massive online retailer, and then it looked to use its windfall from the bizarre Reddit stock fiasco to break into NFTs. With NFTs failing, GameStop might have looked to its basic retail business as a means of securing much-needed cash, but Red told The Daily Dot that’s not happening either.

"It was dead pre-Christmas, picked up during the holidays and then immediately died again after New Years," she said. "It even had its dead moments during the holidays too, which was odd. I mean, for Black Friday we opened at 5, [and] I got there at 3 to make sure everything was set up and ready – no customers showed up until after 8 AM."

Although Red says her store doesn't plan to close, more have closed in her area and across the country. "Tons of GameStop stores have closed over the years and recently. Currently, there are stores going through closure in other cities/states, but the employees are being told to still push reservations for games coming out after the store will be closed. It’s a little disgusting on corporate’s part."

In addition to store closures, Red said she's heard of 50 district managers losing their jobs, an entire warehouse closed, and both a technical support team and a customer service team all being laid off. Red said that she blames poor management for the state of GameStop and that she expects to leave on her own even if her store doesn’t close.

I seen the writing on the wall when I called a Gamestop rep about selling my Switch and the dude was damn near about to suck my dikk, begging me to come in and trade my shyt :picard:
:picard::picard::picard::dame:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
im surprised gamestop have lasted this long tbh, i thought they’d be finished soon after the pandemic but i guess the next gen stock shortage kept them alive. the way it created demand for consoles probably created a need for them to whore their 15 units a month out.

Now that consoles are everywhere theres no need to check-in.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
im surprised gamestop have lasted this long tbh, i thought they’d be finished soon after the pandemic but i guess the next gen stock shortage kept them alive. the way it created demand for consoles probably created a need for them to whore their 15 units a month out.

Now that consoles are everywhere theres no need to check-in.

Breh I saw a PS5 in a box at a Best Buy. A whole PS5....like it was there. No reservations, no order held, it was just sitting there chilling.

Its blowing my mind coming from a pandemic where I did not know what the fukk the console look like in real life. The shyt is like seeing Hulk Hogan shopping at a Wally World. Its mind-boggling brother:mindblown:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Breh I saw a PS5 in a box at a Best Buy. A whole PS5....like it was there. No reservations, no order held, it was just sitting there chilling.

Its blowing my mind coming from a pandemic where I did not know what the fukk the console look like in real life. The shyt is like seeing Hulk Hogan shopping at a Wally World. Its mind-boggling brother:mindblown:

Yeah, to be fair all the analyst and console manufacturers told us it would be over by 2023 and here we are. There’s now a surplus of chips

Forsaken

All Star
Daps

One word resellers. That's why they were never in stock.

SteelCitySoldier

TSC Fantasy Football Champion 2016
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles C.A.

I haven’t went to an electronics section in Target, Walmart or Bestbuy in the past two months WITHOUT seeing a PS5 in stock shyt is crazy as hell when you think about how difficult is was to get one when they launched

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
I was supposed to return something today and just noticed they now open at fukking 12PM…idk how long it’s been like this but I remember they used to open a lot earlier than that

Dead giveaway.

When a retail store or any type of business opens at a later hour...nine times out of ten they are on borrowed time.