Gamepass this gamepass that. Gamepass A CANNIBAL?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
If anything it proves Microsoft was too hasty jumping in the deep end with it.
No because there exist a thing such as first mover's advantage.

Microsoft had nothing to lose because their business of selling individual games wasn't as successful. It's like they're doing with Bing Chat GPT integration. Google is now scrambling and making blunders trying to match them. Google that owns 92% of search is scrabbling to match a company that owns like 3%. Your attitude is effectively Google could afford to be complacent because their business works. Google isn't stupid. They know in the not too distant future letting Microsoft build this unopposed will devastate them.

shyt I remember when Internet Explorer was the whole browser market. Now it doesn't even exist and Chrome dominates. You don't just let a company pull some shyt unopposed because what you have is working.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
how often has ‘movers advantage’ ever benefited any platform holder with gaming?
You still view this in the old traditional sense. When you build a brand synonymous with something that matters. If Game Pass to gaming subscription services can be what Google is to internet search that matters.

Microsoft might have the competence of a Donald Trump when it comes to managing gaming but even Donald Trump became president. Given a platform and enough recourses even a fool like Trump with a few good ideas can become president. Microsoft has a platform with Xbox and Game Pass and they have one of the deepest pocketbooks in the world. As long as they're willing to burn money they'll eventually get this to pop.

If you think this tug of war between Activision, Microsoft, and Sony is about Sony possibly losing Call of Duty you're mistaken. Sony has no real fear of losing Call of Duty. The real issue is if a game like a Call of Duty comes to a gaming subscription service day 1 that changes the math of how people view them. Sony doesn't want this transition to gaming as a service accelerated. They want to dictate the terms it happens on. Microsoft on the other hand is looking to throw gas on the fire.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Folks really in here arguing for gamepass to be the only form of gaming available.

:childplease:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
be mad about gamepass for years brehs

then champion the same thing when it comes to the only system you own
In the not too far future most gaming is gonna be about keeping you recurringly paying the publisher or keeping you attached to a service. It's just like how mobile turned into this free to play model where they nickel and dime you on purchases.

This is capitalism. The market follows the money and growth potential. The modern consumer likes to romanticize giant corporations like they're friendly and root for them like sports teams but all that matters to corporations is money. These corporations aren't churning out games for the love of it. They do it to make money and if someone else invents a way to sell investors on more money and growth the board will demand it be implemented.

Subscription models are the holy grail of business models. Stable recurring revenue, easy to see growth, scalable cost. On a subscription service a game that would have normally flopped could easily be played by an audience of millions that would have never bought it and contribute to growth. Look at two of the biggest companies out there Apple and Microsoft. They're all about subscriptions and services. Apple desperately wants to turn the iPhone from their primary business into a secondary one that drives subscriptions and services.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Folks really in here arguing for gamepass to be the only form of gaming available.

:childplease:
You can still order a DVD or Blu-Ray online if you want. Consumers don't really care about that anymore. Subscription services won't be the only way to acquire games but they'll be the most viable way.

My only real concern is look at what music has become due to subscription services. 2-3 minute songs even featuring artist. How will subscription services impact game development? Back when I was a kid songs was 5-6 minutes long with 3 versus. Today it's maybe a hook, a verse, and some adlibs at the end.

This is a super popular song and shyt ain't even 2.5 minutes long and barely has a verse.

As the kinds of games I like become less viable I'll probably even further reduce the amount I game.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You can still order a DVD or Blu-Ray online if you want. Consumers don't really care about that anymore. Subscription services won't be the only way to acquire games but they'll be the most viable way.

My only real concern is look at what music has become due to subscription services. 2-3 minute songs even featuring artist. How will subscription services impact game development? Back when I was a kid songs was 5-6 minutes long with 3 versus. Today it's maybe a hook, a verse, and some adlibs at the end.

This is a super popular song and shyt ain't even 2.5 minutes long and barely has a verse.

As the kinds of games I like become less viable I'll probably even further reduce the amount I game.

giphy.gif

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
No shyt? why would you buy a game available on Gamepass if you are paying for Gamepass?

How is this a story?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

MS issued a statement to Kotaku:

Update 2/13/2023 7:16 p.m. ET:
Microsoft commented to Kotaku:

Xbox Game Pass offers gamers and game creators more choice and opportunity in how they discover, experience, and deliver games. For gamers, that means providing another option for them to discover games and play with friends at a great value. For developers, that means creating another option for how they monetize their games.

We're focused on helping game creators of all sizes maximize the total financial value they receive through Game Pass. Each game is unique, so we work closely with creators to build a custom program to reflect what they need, ensure they are compensated financially for their participation in the service, and allow room for creativity and innovation. As a result, the number of developers interested in working with Game Pass continues to grow.

At least this is one chapter we can finally close.
full

Last edited:

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Makes complete sense, most of the Gamepass owners I know are not buying those games. I mean, why bother? You're getting the game day 1 with the service

I do agree that services like GP are the future, but most companies can not afford to pay up front to release games that way, especially bigger budget titles

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
A video game is a piece of software. Video games being late to the party doesn't change the fact that there is more value long term in having a consumer perpetually pay you a monthly subscription fee to software they don't own then there is selling them individual software in single one time purchases.

It's like any other business. They make more selling you a car perpetually in monthly payments than they do selling you the car outright. People like monthly payments. Businesses like them. It works out better for the business long term to keep you paying a monthly fee for the rest of your life. While the customer pays more over their life they don't feel the damage as much because the payments are broken up.

You're naïve as hell if you think that because a business is successful the way it is right now the model can never change or evolve. Even if it changes at the expense of the incumbent model. Do you think Disney cares more about home video sales or about Disney+ growth. 10 years ago Disney+ didn't even exist and now it's the focus of the company.
Look. Disney plus, Spotify, is how Microsoft is trying to guide Gamepass to which is not going to happen. I can lie in bed and watch a whole series or a couple movies a night. I can listen to Spotify whilst at work whilst still focusing on my job. These are passive entertainment

Gaming is not the same as its active entertainment. Vast majority of people play maximum 5 games or less a year. FIFA/Madden, fortnite, COD .. that’s pretty much it.