Gamepass this gamepass that. Gamepass A CANNIBAL?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The key reason is market share because Sony got close to a 2:1 split, so of course you'll cater to a bigger split.

I do feel the wait for gamepass mentality def got publishers unhappy because many will skip on non blockbuster AAAs and indies due to it.
People wait for discounts all the time with or without gamepass.

Gamepasss is a discount/advertisement program you’d obviously make more money selling every game for $70. For some games the advertisement is worth more than the lost $70 sales.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Just like nintendo have trained their audience to buy their games at full price, microsoft has trained their audience to never pay full price for games or buy them at all
Xbox gamers do buy games, but I don't think they're buying the indies as much as others, and the same with most AAAs. When you look at NPD charts their charts are somewhat similar to playstation and you'll even see people buying games on gamepass like Forza and Halo. I think the current issue is gamepass might make them hesitant to buy games out of their comfort zone because they'll wait or it to hit service instead of waiting for it to hit sale.

People wait for discounts all the time with or without gamepass.

Gamepasss is a discount/advertisement program you’d obviously make more money selling every game for $70. For some games the advertisement is worth more than the lost $70 sales.
I agree that most wait on sale, but I think even then people wait for gamepass instead of sales, which hurts revenue. There's a risk in gaming, so I often say to myself that I'll wait for a game to hit PS+ or gamepass instead of buying.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Xbox gamers do buy games, but I don't think they're buying the indies as much as others, and the same with most AAAs. When you look at NPD charts their charts are somewhat similar to playstation and you'll even see people buying games on gamepass like Forza and Halo. I think the current issue is gamepass might make them hesitant to buy games out of their comfort zone because they'll wait or it to hit service instead of waiting for it to hit sale.

I agree that most wait on sale, but I think even then people wait for gamepass instead of sales, which hurts revenue. There's a risk in gaming, so I often say to myself that I'll wait for a game to hit PS+ or gamepass instead of buying.
Indies are the ones who sing Gamepass praises. According to them there’s a significantly noticeable increase in sales and revenue in games on gamepass vs their games that aren’t.

As far as waiting for a sale, that’s not unique to gamepass or xbox.

Everyone knows games go on sale relatively quick. wether you are waiting for a discount or a gamepass release you are still waiting. In fact a game going on sale is pretty much a definite, a game coming to gamepass or not is shot in the dark.

If we are talking about peoples motivations to NOT buy games day one discounts hold much more weight than an assumed possible gamepass release.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What does this mean?
He means Gamepass is a wonderful service and we are falling for the lies perpetrated by Sony stans to discredit Gamepass and the genius Phil Spencer. Isn’t that right @The Mad Titan :mjgrin:
Gamepass obviously hurts the sales of some games, however it's mostly MS 1st party titles over everything else. MS is telling sony stans exactly what they want to hear and the CMA exactly what they want them to.

Yes Their 1st party triple A games and probably some other games take a hit. But that's more than ok in their situation, Gamepass games don't need to sell 11 million copies. They just need to attract a percentage of that for a short amount of time.... to surpass that revenue.

On top of that there are numerous reports from non affiliated MS devs that praise how much gamepass helped there game overall.
Now as Xbox Market cap grows, then triple A titles that are establish find less and less value on gamepass outside of certain niche situations. But 3rd party games overall ones that aren't Mega hits will do nothing but benefit from gamepass.
MS will always cannibalize the sales of its 1st party games as long as you can get gamepass on PC and console.

TLDR: MS is telling you part of the truth but not the whole picture.

Last edited:

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I got banned because I called out mods for deleting my threads calling out sony stans. The mods said they delete the threads cause "they have instructions from @Brooklynzson to clean up the arcadium of the console wars"

But i notice 90% of the threads still posted here are posted with intention to incite console wars, but they just have some hardly liked tweet with some horrible info usually attached to it

but let someone in the locker room say hed kill someones family or for someones family member to rest in piss or something, itll go unchecked

the mods here are fukking retarded :mjlol:

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Gamepass obviously hurts the sales of some games, however it's mostly MS 1st party titles over everything else. MS is telling sony stans exactly what they want to hear and the CMA exactly what they want them to.

Yes Their 1st party triple A games and probably some other games take a hit. But that's more than ok in their situation, Gamepass games don't need to sell 11 million copies. They just need to attract a percentage of that for a short amount of time.... to surpass that revenue.

On top of that there are numerous reports from non affiliated MS devs that praise how much gamepass helped there game overall.
Now as Xbox Market cap grows, then triple A titles that are establish find less and less value on gamepass outside of certain niche situations. But 3rd party games overall ones that aren't Mega hits will do nothing but benefit from gamepass.
MS will always cannibalize the sales of its 1st party games as long as you can get gamepass on PC and console.

TLDR: MS is telling you what you part of the truth but not the whole picture.
So you're saying they're being intentionally deceptive to gain a favorable outcome?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
@winb83, I thought you told us Gamepass was the future yet we can see it’s a system that’s unsustainable :mjlol:
How is it any more unsustainable than constantly increasing the price of games per generation citing development cost when the truth is more money is made by selling DLC and other content than selling a game anyway?

In about a decade the business model of gaming is almost guaranteed to be more on the side of selling it as a service to users rather than selling individual software to users. Sony is already ramping up live service games.

Do you not pay attention to the world around you? How many companies like Adobe and others have transitioned from selling software as in individual purchase to selling it as a service? Can you even purchase Photoshop as a normal piece of software you own outright anymore?