full

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
Whatever it is, I feel like they're gonna make a point to show how all the "hood dudes" are disappointed in him etc. This show is doing a lot of subtle shyt to dispel common black stereotypes...
"Black nerds weren't accepted in the black community" yet nobody in this show ever mentions how Earn talks and dresses different. Only person that treated him as "not really black" was the white dude. Loved that contrast of the Janitor greeting him as family immediately after that "nikka" scene.

The other stereotype of "black people don't value education" cause it's not cool to be smart is bullshyt too. So them being disappointed in him for skipping out on Princeton could help dispel that myth.

I think that's kinda the point of his character though. He's not really a rapper type of guy he's just trying to make money. Plus he's not really about the hardcore street shyt.

You can tell he's dealing with the internal conflict of having to keep up a persona

Yep, he even told Earn to fukk off because he ain't seen since his mother passed.

Paperboy definitely got dimensions to his character

See y'all get that shyt cause you're black. There are gonna be a ton of wanna be's and hipsters that aren't going to get this aspect until it's spelled out for them, because they don't interact with cats on a personal level.

PB explains it right from the jump, I'm just doing this to get paid. He doesn't have a degree. He has a child. His mom's died. He doesn't have a job. This right now is the plan he has to go with. Like a bunch of regular dudes we all know, he's just trying to make the best of his situation. He carries a gun cause he has to, not to look cool for Complex or put on for the hood. When he sees children, he straightens up around em: see him telling the kids not to play with guns, and see his expression when he sees his little niece.

Even Darius is a regular dude. He's just chill. No job either. Just smokes and relaxes out. He hasn't said a violent or aggressive thing all series, but if white america were to see him in public, they'd call the cops on him immediately.

The same can be said for the mom, dad, and Lani. Lani's character is going to be interesting because I know Gambino isn't gonna write her part as a thotty single mother. For now, I think their relationship is gonna resemble 2 dumb ass kids doing dumb kid stuff, as opposed to baby boy 2.