FX's Donald Glover Sitcom "Atlanta" Season 1 thread

Kilgore Trout

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
Damn that final scene with Earn:mjcry:. On a unrelated topic i had no idea Darius was out here winning in real life too
actor-keith-stanfield-and-actress-xosha-roquemore-arrive-at-the-world-picture-id483652350

Xosha is fine as hell:whew:

nikka got that crackhead look even in a suit

Empire-Death-Will-Have-its-Way-5.jpg

OGBobbyJohnson

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Tri State Area
I already listen to some Atlanta rappers but this show has me wanting to listen to even more Atlanta based rappers just from the songs i hear randomly on here

Conz

Superstar
Daps
I'm still undecided on how good this show is. :manny:
it'd be a lot worse on any other network. they'd want a clear narrative. FX is just like "fukk it, do what you want." and the moments in the show where it was basically surreal were the best parts. I found this more entertaining that overrated ass Louie, which is great sometimes and borderline unwatachable other times.

Daps
it'd be a lot worse on any other network. they'd want a clear narrative. FX is just like "fukk it, do what you want." and the moments in the show where it was basically surreal were the best parts. I found this more entertaining that overrated ass Louie, which is great sometimes and borderline unwatachable other times.
I agree 100% with that, I'm just not so sure with the rest of it however. I felt some of the on-the-nose dialogue and themes were a lil' heavy handed at times (I get that it was done for dramatic/comedic effect), I just don't feel as though it was needed because it was verging on being a parody of itself. When they got it right (free Chick-fil-A, cow costume cut) they hit it right outta the park, but then when got it wrong (Darius at the shooting range, dogs/muslims cut) it fell completely flat.

MIAlien

#FactsOnly
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wade County
I love that this show subverts the usual plot pushing nature of TV shows & focuses on situations that teach you about the characters while giving you snapshots of plot progression. It's very Tarantino like character development that reminds you the journey is way more important than the destination.

The show spent half the season finale on Ern tracking down a jacket and about 30 seconds on Paperboi potentially going on tour, his success so far, and Ern putting in enough work to get paid & fully acknowledged as a manager, not a cousin, by his artist.

And yet we've still gone from Ern begging for the job to him getting paid for it, but we got so much world building, character building, and other things at the same time.

Un-AmericanDreamer

Simp City
Daps

I can potentially see this show on Adult Swim, kinda like Black Jesus, but FX is the right fit. They get away with more.