French is a Black Language

Daps
I'll give my 2 cents as a Nigerian.

If I, an English speaking Nigerian, wanted to converse with almost every person I encountered in sub-sahran Africa, I'd need to know only 2 additional languages. French and Portuguese.

However, if I wanted to even connect with every person in Nigeria in their mother tongue, I'd need to know over 240 languages alone.

French is a good unifier especially in Western Africa. While a mother tongue may be more heartfelt, French has greater utility

For real, Kemi Seba is one of the most influential activists in the French-speaking sphere.
:
Without French it couldn't communicate easily with the rest of the diaspora. :wow:

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
It is and indeed you are right, the future of french language is in Africa. The Organisation internationale de la Francophonie officially recognizes this, and the vast majority of its budget is dedicated to projects in Africa.

The discussion about french in Africa is always two-fold : on one hand it is the language of the colonizer, on the other it serves as a lingua franca among Africans and allows access to the rest of the world. In short, there's positive aspects as well as negative aspects to it. That's basically what the founders of La Francophonie (who were not French) and the intellectuals of the "negritude" movement said : we cannot erase the fact that we were colonized, but we can use this language for our own benefit. The trick is to have a good balance : even though I myself unfortunately do not speak any language from Central African Republic, it is crucial that local languages be taught. The only issue is that in a country like Cameroon, you have more than 200 languages. Which one should be chosen? The use of another language (in this case, French and English) allows to circumvent that question in a way. But the point stands : local languages should be taught and promoted, and in my opinion it should be done next to French or English (or Portuguese or Arabic). That's also what the Francophonie has understood and is now doing. For example Senegal introduced a couple years ago a translation system in the Parliament to make sure that everyone can speak their own language, even though french stays one of the official language. IMO that's the way to go.

And indeed, french (and I guess english, but have less info about that) is no longer a "foreign" language for a large number of Africans born in Africa and living in Africa : it has become a local language, albeit one not necessarily spoken by all in any given country (which is the case of a lot of countries where there are different local languages). It has local variations, french in CAR is not the same in Ivory Coast, so it is constantly evolving to "fit" with the local populations. And yeah obviously you have all the Africans born in France, Belgium or Canada who often do not speak languages from the country their parents came from, so french is the bridge to reconnect.

It is true that language has a big impact on how you think, which concepts you use, etc...so that for me is precisely a reason to learn MORE languages, not less. Opens up the mind.

Obviously the poster-child for the anti-french movement is Kagame, but lest we forget that is mainly due to political reasons. And he moved from french to english, which is another european language.

As a strong supporter of multilingualism, I see no positive in deciding to speak one LESS language. That's hustling backwards. Whether or not you want to deal with France as a country, speaking another language is always a net positive, it depends on how you as a country decide to use it. And obviously the francophone world outside of Africa is not only France, you also have Belgium and Canada (Québec) as well as the Caribbean countries.

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
And he moved from french to english, which is another european language.

I think he sees the way in which the wind is blowing. English has become the international language and dealing with anyone from America to India, China and Kenya means English is crucial. The French obviously do not like this and are resentful of the preeminence of the English language. Beyond the colonial connotations, inter-African trade is poor and so having French as the official language is probably not as useful at the moment for Rwanda if it is not doing much business with French West Africa.

I do agree with you that local languages should be preserved. Especially in Africa where there is not much written material in indigenous languages. That means once the oral speakers die off it's a wrap.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
It is and indeed you are right, the future of french language is in Africa. The Organisation internationale de la Francophonie officially recognizes this, and the vast majority of its budget is dedicated to projects in Africa.

The discussion about french in Africa is always two-fold : on one hand it is the language of the colonizer, on the other it serves as a lingua franca among Africans and allows access to the rest of the world. In short, there's positive aspects as well as negative aspects to it. That's basically what the founders of La Francophonie (who were not French) and the intellectuals of the "negritude" movement said : we cannot erase the fact that we were colonized, but we can use this language for our own benefit. The trick is to have a good balance : even though I myself unfortunately do not speak any language from Central African Republic, it is crucial that local languages be taught. The only issue is that in a country like Cameroon, you have more than 200 languages. Which one should be chosen? The use of another language (in this case, French and English) allows to circumvent that question in a way. But the point stands : local languages should be taught and promoted, and in my opinion it should be done next to French or English (or Portuguese or Arabic). That's also what the Francophonie has understood and is now doing. For example Senegal introduced a couple years ago a translation system in the Parliament to make sure that everyone can speak their own language, even though french stays one of the official language. IMO that's the way to go.

And indeed, french (and I guess english, but have less info about that) is no longer a "foreign" language for a large number of Africans born in Africa and living in Africa : it has become a local language, albeit one not necessarily spoken by all in any given country (which is the case of a lot of countries where there are different local languages). It has local variations, french in CAR is not the same in Ivory Coast, so it is constantly evolving to "fit" with the local populations. And yeah obviously you have all the Africans born in France, Belgium or Canada who often do not speak languages from the country their parents came from, so french is the bridge to reconnect.

It is true that language has a big impact on how you think, which concepts you use, etc...so that for me is precisely a reason to learn MORE languages, not less. Opens up the mind.

Obviously the poster-child for the anti-french movement is Kagame, but lest we forget that is mainly due to political reasons. And he moved from french to english, which is another european language.

As a strong supporter of multilingualism, I see no positive in deciding to speak one LESS language. That's hustling backwards. Whether or not you want to deal with France as a country, speaking another language is always a net positive, it depends on how you as a country decide to use it. And obviously the francophone world outside of Africa is not only France, you also have Belgium and Canada (Québec) as well as the Caribbean countries.
Good response

There is no reason why people should reject a USEFUL language in basis that it is the colonializer's langugage. While I understand the aversion , it is impractical and a sentiment based mostly on symbolism not smh psychological or linguistic reasons . The future of the French language is in the hands of Africans and the diaspora and can be a useful tool for cultural, political, and economic connections between the diaspora and francophone Africa.

Keep in mind (to everyone) I've said nothing about using French over any language nor did I say anything about suppression of any languages

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
I think he sees the way in which the wind is blowing. English has become the international language and dealing with anyone from America to India, China and Kenya means English is crucial. The French obviously do not like this and are resentful of the preeminence of the English language. Beyond the colonial connotations, inter-African trade is poor and so having French as the official language is probably not as useful at the moment for Rwanda if it is not doing much business with French West Africa.

I do agree with you that local languages should be preserved. Especially in Africa where there is not much written material in indigenous languages. That means once the oral speakers die off it's a wrap.

Yeah for sure, I talked about Kagame because he was brought up as someone dismissing french, which is true, but he did it in favor of ANOTHER foreign language. And also the fact that in the region, the only francophone countries are DRC and Burundi : trade with Burundi doesn't depend on french imo and we all know the conflictual situation with DRC. So really Rwanda has to look east, where english is more spoken than french. But the reasons he has to go on with english (which are the correct ones you state) can be used at the same level on an intra-Africa level, since even though that trade is not as big as it should be it will be even lower if people no longer use the common language they already have. It's interesting because for example Ghana and Nigeria, who have francophone countries as neighbours, have shown interest in increasing the knowledge of french precisely for this reason, trade.

Good response

There is no reason why people should reject a USEFUL language in basis that it is the colonializer's langugage. While I understand the aversion , it is impractical and a sentiment based mostly on symbolism not smh psychological or linguistic reasons . The future of the French language is in the hands of Africans and the diaspora and can be a useful tool for cultural, political, and economic connections between the diaspora and francophone Africa.

Keep in mind (to everyone) I've said nothing about using French over any language nor did I say anything about suppression of any languages

Yeah it also comes from the old idea that we have a zero-sum brain, that somehow you have a "limited" space for languages in your brain, which is an outdated idea that has been disproved but still lingers. I'm half-Belgian, so I know the dutch-speaking Flemish did not totally do away with french when they fought for their cultural autonomy. Because they correctly understood that yes speaking your own language (dutch, in this case) is crucial, but speaking other languages is crucial too, even more so when you're a small cultural/linguistic entity. So they kept french (that they already had) and TONS of them are bi or trilingual (with english) now. So they can speak their own language amongst themselves, have a cultural/intellectuial life in dutch, etc...and use french or english for trade with the world. Win-win.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
@mbewane i agree . I was visiting family in Denmark, and in their schools they learn English And German in addition to speak their native Danish. French is also a popular language. They do do because their survival as a nation depends on their ability to trade with other nations (UK and Germany mostly)

My moms side if the family is multilingual (most speak at least three languages) so I definitely encourage foreign language acquisition and that is something i an personally working on

To stay a little more in topic , Englisg French and Portuguese will be the languages of the diaspora . And languages like Swahili, Lingala, Arabic, etc will be important as well

OD-MELA

Pro
Daps
Reppin
the more languages the better, but overall kagame is right, english is the language of business, science and technology so its the way to go for black people

Why Rwanda's move to English?
Think there is more to it than just business..... old politics and beef with France, kagame is an anglophile, I read somewhere he retains Tony Blair as an unofficial advisor, etc etc

BigMan

Veteran
Daps

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When I win I bring we with me
This topic = :scust:
Taking some kinda glee in french being mainly spoken in Africa :scust:
Advocating french as a lingua-franca in Africa:scust:

logo.png

http://www.acalan.org/index.php/en/
THE VEHICULAR CROSS-BORDER LANGUAGE COMMISSIONS
ACALAN shall establish a Commission for each vehicular cross-border language. The Commissions shall constitute the working structures of the Board and the Assembly. The selection criteria and the number of the members of each Commission are determined by the Rules of Procedure.
ACALAN has started since end 2009, the organization of regional operational Workshops for the establishment of the first 12 languages selected for the establishment of the Vehicular Cross-border Language Commissions (Working Structures of ACALAN). They are : Standard Modern Arabic and Berber for North Africa; Hausa, Mandenkan and Fulfulde for West Africa; Kiswahili, Somali and Malagasy for East Africa ; Cinyanja/Chichewa and Setswana for Southern Africa and Lingala and Beti-fang for Central Africa.

The 12 Languages have been selected according to the following criteria:

1. Number of regions in which the language is spoken therefore the more the regions the better the chance for selection
  2. The number of countries in which the language is spoken
  3. Number of speakers of the language
  4. Range of vehicularity, and user spoken languages
  5. Language development status
  6. Scope of literature available i.e. literary works and other materials available in the language
  7. Domains of use i.e. education, media,
  8. International recognition i.e. use in foreign broadcasts, translation of materials (UNESCO History of Africa). This factor can be used as criteria for knocking out competing languages.
  9. Legal status and Willingness to work together.

In accordance with the recommendations of the Synthesis Conference held in Addis Ababa in 2009, the African Academy of Languages (ACALAN) organised operational and planning workshops to launch ten (10) out of the first batch of twelve (12) Vehicular Cross-Border Language Commissions, namely: Chichewa/Chinyanja and Setswana in Southern Africa, and Fulfulde Hausa and Mandenkanin in West Africa (established in 2009), Beti-fang and Lingala in Central Africa , and Somali, Kiswahili and Malagasy in East Africa (2011). Due to the socio-political situation in Northern Africa, the Vehicular Cross-Border Language Commissions for Standard Modern Arabic and Berber could not be established.

THE LANGUAGE PLAN OF ACTION FOR AFRICA

ORGANISATION OF AFRICAN UNITY/ORGANISATION DE L'UNlTE AFRICAINE
General Secretariat
B.P. 3243
Addis Ababa
COUNCIL OF MINISTERS
FORTY-SlXTH ORDINARY SESSION
20 - 25 JULY 1987
ADDIS ABABA
ETHIOPIA

AWARE

That, in recognition of the ever-growing interdependence and interaction at all levels of human endeavour and brotherhood of man, communication with the outside world beyond the boundaries of the African continent is inevitable and ought to be provided for or reflected in the language policies to be devised and implemented by each sovereign state;

CONVINCED

That the promotion of African languages, especially those which transcend national frontiers, is a vital factor in the cause of African Unity;

RECOGNISING

That, within Africa itself, the existence side by side in almost all African countries of several languages is a major fact of life and the knowledge that, because of this, multilingualism (i.e. the mastery and use of several languages by individuals for purpose of daily communication) is an equally dominant social feature of life in these countries, should induce Member States to make the promotion of multilingualism in their countries a prime consideration in the evolution of an appropriate language policy;

AGREE

To adopt the Language Plan of Action for Africa, as set out below:

PART I

AIMS, OBJECTIVES AND PRINCIPLES

The aims and objectives of this Plan of Action are as follows:

a. To encourage each and every Member State to have a clearly defined language policy;

b. To ensure that all languages within the boundaries of Member States are recognised and accepted as a source of mutual enrichment;

c. To liberate the African peoples from undue reliance on the utilisation of non-indigenous languages as the dominant, official languages of the state in favour of the gradual take-over of appropriate and carefully selected indigenous African languages in this domain;

d. To ensure that African languages, by appropriate legal provision and practical promotion, assume their rightful role as the means of official communication in the public affairs of each Member State, in replacement of European languages, which have hitherto played this role;

e. To encourage the increased use African languages as vehicles of instruction at all educational levels;

f. To ensure that all the sectors of the political and socio-economic systems of each Member State is mobilised in such a manner that they play their due part in ensuring that the African language(s) prescribed as official language(s) assume their intended role in the shortest time possible;

g. To foster and promote national, regional and continental linguistic unity in Africa, in the context of the multilingualism prevailing in most African countries.

Practical stand point
a. I'd go with the further spreading of Swahili as a base to be used as a lingua-franca for intra-African communication local languages could be added on top of that base as useful.
b. I'd go with a given set of cross boarder regional languages to teach in schools. Focusing on the one(s) indigenous to the child's area.

(admittedly)Idealistic stand point

I'd go with the current project endorsed by cheikh anta diop. Which is proposition of the resurrection of Mdu ntr to be used as a lingua-franca for intra-African communication. Similar to how Israeli's resurrected the Hebrew language and taught it in schools to use it as a lingua-franca for isreali communication

(rkty Amen-Jones is the person who instructs me in learning Mdu ntr and has spoken in class about the contemporary efforts to resurrect mdu ntr as a lingua-franca)

There are three fundamental issues I have also.

1. language embeds the way that a people breakdown the world and describe their reality. This goes from mundane things like
a. concert - traditionally delineating people sitting quietly while the musicians play music
concert-le-concert-3.jpg

b. party - delineating people dancing and singing along while the musicians play music
Nightclub.jpg

to more complex things like...​

c. nuclear family - delineating the mother ,father, children​
136094606-in-this-handout-provided-by-the-white-house-first-lady.jpg.CROP.cq5dam_web_1280_1280_jpeg.jpg

b. extended family - delineating the grand parents, brothers, sisters, wife, husband, cousins, nieces, nephews, even family friends ....maybe even ancestors.
Barack_Obamas_Kenyan_relatives.jpg

The phenomena described or the way people conceive of similar phenomena is broken down and encapsulated in the language. When you use someone elses language you are adopting their world view which leads to the other two problems of "semantic traps" and "epistemological traps".

2. Semantic Trap - This is similar to the notion of a thing being "lost/added in translation".
Easy example:
A slave is someone you pay money for and force to work for you under threat of death.
An adoptee is someone you pay money for and lives with you as your biological child would.

Trap = Both the slave and the adoptee are acquired with money so an adoptee is a slave also.

You can't take one element that is the same in both cases and say they are completely the same because one element is the same. The thing is when you use someone elses language to communicate how your culture brakes down reality samantic traps happen all the time. This happens because the translation is built on what word in the target language is "close enough" to the native concept.

3. Epistemological Trap - This happens when the only way you know to think of/describe a thing is through a given language/worldview.

Trap = Both the slave and the adoptee are acquired with money so an adoptee is a slave also(because I know of no other concept but "slave" to compare "adoptee" to).

Epistemological Traps are easier to dodge though. All you simply need to know are multiple languages/worldviews.

Conclusion:
While I have no general issue with knowing multiple languages and endorse learning as many as needed(especially of people you do business with):ehh: The idea of french or any European language being used as a lingua-franca for intra-African communication is politically obscene :scust: Now to the extent that it's currently necessary :yeshrug: so be it.:ehh: But the goal politically, should be actively working to move away from that as quick as possible.:hubie: That said the OP said they are simply thinking out loud ...and honestly there is nothing wrong with that:yeshrug:

Last edited: