Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana (Discussion Thread)

Hannibal Fox

Eetwidomayloh
Daps
Reppin
Death To Spookism
Initial thoughts.

- Gibbs is the best active rapper out there right now but we knew this.

- Madlib brought a very different flavor. Seems to me like harder drums and more eclectic and foreign samples. Piñata had a lot of more traditional soul samples (Ie. Deeper, Kicks, Lakers, Robes, Shame, etc.) There’s a lot of foreign funk on here for sure.

- Madlib and Gibbs are much bigger stars and flex more. Way less guest spots for Gibbs to shine and way more beat switches. I didn’t count but it felt like at least every 3rd song had a beat switch.

Lord Quas on the cover so as a longtime Madlib fan I knew what time it is, dude dipped into his bag on this one, yes indeed :obama:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Gibbs mentions freestyling a lot recently.

On both the Freestyle Joint on Bandana and The Blow on Fetti he acts like both are freestyles.

Y’all think he mean off the top or just random bars he wrote?

:jbhmm:

Buckeye Fever

YOU WILL ALL HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hip-Hop Since '79
If I'm Benny, I'm side-eyeing the shyt out of Gibbs right now :russ:

:heh:

Yeah they gotta collab. Best EP and best LP of the year in this past week. Benny needs to hop on a Madlib track.

No bullshyttin' y'all, but not even 5 seconds before I opened the thread, I thought the EXACT same thang:russ:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Sit your five dollar ass down before I make change/
Pay for your funeral get your shyt arranged/
Kiss your wife and say you were solid then go piss on your grave/

:picard:

Also I swear that either havoc or alchemist has used this 2nd beat’s sample on half man half cocaine before. Sounds like some old mobb deep shyt.

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
WAIT A MINUTE @King Napz AND OTHERS DID YALL CRACK THE ALBUM OR DID THEY RELEASE THE ALBUM EARLY BECAUSE MY PRE-ORDERED shyt AIN'T DOWNLOAD YET