Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana (Discussion Thread)

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Education is a freaking movie, love the structure of the song.

MadGibbs dropped two instant classic with very different vibes with this and Pinata, legends.
Such a pointless question and terrible timing, but would you rather have a 2nd Madvillainy album or a 3rd MadGibbs album?

I know my answer. :hubie:

Yo, this beat or this sample on Education?! It sounds real familiar. I wanna say I heard Nas rap on it?

:dwillhuh:

Freddie.Cane

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
305 Canes, Dolphins, and Heat
Such a pointless question and terrible timing, but would you rather have a 2nd Madvillainy album or a 3rd MadGibbs album?

Yo, this beat or this sample on Education?! It sounds real familiar. I wanna say I heard Nas rap on it?

Planet Asia was first before him

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
The only thing that’s a bummer is no John gotti karate. I fukked up by listening to the snippet. I never even would’ve knew what I was missing if I didn’t try to get stingy.

It fits with the Japanese theme of the album perfectly. If I had to guess there was either a sample issue or Gibbs changed his mind on the anti-vaccination bars or felt like he might get blowback on it.

Dylmatic

All Star
Daps
Reppin
France

Same sample as Bonjour on Nasir.

And no need to answer your question since we're already getting Montana in a few years which is the third MadGibbs album.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I love those clack snares on Soul Right. He basically took the Kanye snare from the 00’s and made it how it’s supposed to sound.
:wow:

Beautiful way to end the album. But no rapping over that final beat in Soul Right?
:sadcam:

Got that Bandana bonus track though :troll: so we’re not done here yet

Same sample as Bonjour on Nasir.

And no need to answer your question since we're already getting Montana in a few years which is the third MadGibbs album.
Montana?!!!

:mindblown::mjcry::feedme: I’m
already ready already.

I hope Gibbs does another sample based album between now and Montana (Alchemist you reading this?)

That’s crazy about Bonjour. And btw this song merks it. You jogged my memory. When I heard it (and White Label) I said they both reminded me of some samples Madlib would use. Because when I heard Education my first thought was “didn’t Madlib sample this before??”

Last edited:

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Initial thoughts.

- Gibbs is the best active rapper out there right now but we knew this.

- Madlib brought a very different flavor. Seems to me like harder drums and more eclectic and foreign samples. Piñata had a lot of more traditional soul samples (Ie. Deeper, Kicks, Lakers, Robes, Shame, etc.) There’s a lot of foreign funk on here for sure.

- Madlib and Gibbs are much bigger stars and flex more. Way less guest spots for Gibbs to shine and way more beat switches. I didn’t count but it felt like at least every 3rd song had a beat switch.