Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana (Discussion Thread)

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I hope it's the first thing he releases since his jail stint. Pinata was great in part because of the varied lyrical subjects. Breh was rapping about getting chicken, basketball, storytelling, chicks, etc. Whereas with the trap shyt he tends to focus more on just Gangsta Gibbs shyt. He probably doesn't want his first release to be super gangsta shyt after the legal fukkery that happened.

(Shadow Of A Doubt is great to me btw, not saying I dislike it)

Trot LaRoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi/LA
I hope it's the first thing he releases since his jail stint. Pinata was great in part because of the varied lyrical subjects. Breh was rapping about getting chicken, basketball, storytelling, chicks, etc. Whereas with the trap shyt he tends to focus more on just Gangsta Gibbs shyt. He probably doesn't want his first release to be super gangsta shyt after the legal fukkery that happened.

(Shadow Of A Doubt is great to me btw, not saying I dislike it)

The variety on topics on Pinata is what made me start listening. I just thought he was an one dimensional hood dude before but Pinata showed he had more depth.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The variety on topics on Pinata is what made me start listening. I just thought he was an one dimensional hood dude before but Pinata showed he had more depth.

This is from 2009. He's always had depth but he never had a project with the visibility of "Pinata" to showcase it:

Fred.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
Blair Norf, who did a few beats for "Shadow Of A Doubt", said he heard the finished album and it's better than "Pinata":

Additionally:

Also, why it's taking so long to come out:

Fred.

:blessed:

• Dap
Reactions: hex

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I thought Pinata was all tha beats Ye passed on

Nah, around the time Gibbs did his version of "No More Parties In L.A." Madlib mentioned he took all the beats for "TLOP".

Madlib: How Kanye Beats Became a Freddie Gibbs Album

Jackson revealed that the beat CDs he had brought for the sessions, which Kanye notoriously tweeted about, were snapped up by Freddie Gibbs. “He didn’t like them beats,” Jackson said speaking of West. “Six CDs. Gibbs took all of them, rapped over everything. Kanye waited too long, Gibbs rapped over everything.” The songs, Jackson announced, will appear on their forthcoming album, “Bandana.”

Fred.