Fortitude (new British drama)

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Are we watching Fortitude brehs? It's the new British drama that just started (the first 2 episodes are out). I haven't started yet, but it seems worth watching.

Fortitude: TV's most expensive experiment?
By Chi Chi Izundu Newsbeat entertainment reporter
The budget is big: close to £30m. It has the big names and everyone's saying it's a big moment for British drama.

Fortitude, which starts tonight on Sky Atlantic, stars Michael Gambon and Christopher Ecclestone.

The 11-part epic is the most expensive British drama ever made.

Its makers say they are not chasing "cult" status but could it be the next True Detective or Broadchurch - in other words, the new show we're all going to become obsessed with?

'Definitely a step change'
"Surrounded by the savage beauty of the frozen landscape, Fortitude, a small town in the arctic circle, is one of the safest towns on earth. There has never been a violent crime here. Until now," the show promises.

But despite all the hype, Director of Sky Atlantic Zai Bennett told Newsbeat the show is "not really an experiment".

"It's definitely a step change in original drama on Sky Atlantic and it sort of signals where our ambitions lie.

"We don't really want it to be a cult TV show, because that means small.

"The idea with all the shows that we put on is that they get talked about and that they get into the mainstream, they become zeitgeisty."

We don't really want it to be a cult TV show, because that means small
Zai Bennett, Sky Atlantic
The show's executive producer, Patrick Spence, says as a programme maker, the focus is on telling a good story, not targeting a particular audience.

"That's not how Simon Donald, the writer, would think," he explained.

"We have a story that we want to tell and we took it to a broadcaster who loved the story and loved the ambition of the show.

"So I don't think when you're creating or making a television show that you try and predict the audience... or second guess the audience you're going to get.

"All I can say is, we had a story we wanted to tell and we were lucky enough to find a broadcaster to give us that space."

So what's so different about Fortitude?
  • Snow was shipped from London to Iceland - yes you read that right - because it didn't snow enough on location
  • Producers reveal the "whodunnit" quite early on
  • Programme makers want you to know there is an end to the story (so you won't have to wait until series two)
  • The interior shots were filmed in London by the same production designer who created the Game of Thrones set
  • An animatronic life-sized polar bear toured London to promote the show
Cult shows and innovation
Cult viewing with drama also comes with problems, especially when a popular show with a hardcore fanbase is axed. Take BBC Three's In The Flesh.

The show was cancelled despite the second series ending with just over half a million people watching the finale.

"We loved the show but have to make hard choices to bring new shows through and create room for emerging talent," BBC bosses said.

Director of Television Danny Cohen said more content is being made exclusively for iPlayer and "you have to keep creating space to try new things".

Meanwhile, Channel 4 is testing the waters with content made only for Microsoft's Xbox.

ITV said "Drama is and continues to be a really important part of the broadcast schedule for a mainstream channel, with all shows made available on demand on ITV Player platforms after transmission. New dramas in store on ITV in 2015, include Arthur and George, Code of a Killer, Black Work, The Trials of Jimmy Rose, Safe House and Home Fires."

Follow @BBCNewsbeat on Twitter, BBCNewsbeat on Instagram and Radio1Newsbeat on YouTube

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/31028110

-----------------
:to: at them cancelling In The Flesh though. I loved that show :mjcry:

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
@pickles we gonna watch this breh? They're saying it's like Broadchurch on ice. It's got me interested. :lupe:

l loved Broadchurch is yeah I am definitely watching this,

Its makers say they are not chasing "cult" status but could it be the next True Detective or Broadchurch - in other words, the new show we're all going to become obsessed with?

:leon:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
l loved Broadchurch is yeah I am definitely watching this,

:leon:
I dunno if I'm gonna watch the first 2 episodes right now or wait until mid season and then watch like 6 in a row (I like to do that with shows). have you watched it yet?

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
I dunno if I'm gonna watch the first 2 episodes right now or wait until mid season and then watch like 6 in a row (I like to do that with shows). have you watched it yet?

No I haven't watched it yet. I have to finish up The Honourable woman (:ohlawd:) Too much British Piff on netflix right now:whew:. There is another show on Netflix I want to watch called Hinterland.

And House of Cards is going to be release next month. :banderas:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
No I haven't watched it yet. I have to finish up The Honourable woman (:ohlawd:) Too much British Piff on netflix right now:whew:. There is another show on Netflix I want to watch called Hinterland.

And House of Cards is going to be release next month. :banderas:
THe Hounourable Woman is so good :noah:

I'll check out Hinterland. Right now I'm marathoning Justified (never watched that show before).

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
THe Hounourable Woman is so good :noah:

I'll check out Hinterland. Right now I'm marathoning Justified (never watched that show before).

Justified is a good show. Yeah let us come back in 6 to 8 weeks and watch them episodes back to back.

Hinterland has gotten really good reviews.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Justified is a good show. Yeah let us come back in 6 to 8 weeks and watch them episodes back to back.

Hinterland has gotten really good reviews.
Sounds good. I'm downloading season 1 and that one off episode from season 2 (that isn't on netflix yet) of Hinterlands right now. I'll watch it next i think

Ari Gold Bawse

The Bawse of all Bosses
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London
decent pilot

over budget show though and they are advertising and pushing it heavy over here

Figaro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 36 Chambers
The first episode was nothing special :patrice:

Expected more for a 90 minute episode but i shall continue to watch a few more episodes before i decide to throw it to the bushes.

Some of the scenery though :ehh: