For single player, do you prefer open world or linear games?

Which type of game do you prefer

• I really like open world, need that freedom and exploration

• I really prefer linear, concise to the point, love the extra detail

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Some spicy hot takes.

Bruce Straley is the ex-Naughty Dog director, worked on uncharted 1-4 and TLOU, second guy is Ubisoft guy that worked on Far Cry 4 and Assassins Creed 3

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It really depends on the type of game. Not all games need to be either or. For a game like Assassin's Creed or Far Cry, obviously open world is their thing. Other games though are perfectly fine being linear like say a platformer or even a action adventure game. Uncharted 1~4 were excellent games overall being mostly linear.

Wide-linear as they call it is another great workaround like how they did it in TLOU 2. Open world games sometimes can get exhausting with way too much to do. I like the way Ragnarok is where it's not completely linear but it isn't open world either.

Last edited:
Daps
Open world games have a lot more exploration, so that's what I'd choose. I do however see the appeal of linear games like Uncharted, etc.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
It’s pretty rare for me to complete an open world game. I’ve never finished the main story of any Grand Theft Auto game in my life and I’ve played all the main titles from the original to 5. Never finished the story of any Fallout game either.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Dense, wide linear games. I often get side tracked in truly open world games with a lot to do cuz I like to explore and search every nook and cranny
This. I was playing Kingdoms of Alumar and I was at the point where I didn't know what my main objective was because I've been doing every damn side quest I run into.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
for me it depends on the story. If its a game set in one central location like Chicago or New York. Open world all the way.

if its a world hopping adventure like starwars or star trek, its better to linear because they generally can't do an open world justice when you have multiple worlds/locations. They just end up feeling like open levels rather than open worlds. Like god of war for example, its technically open world but i never felt like any of the realms was its own world in the same way i feel hogwarts legacy and the area around hogwarts feels like its own world.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
for me it depends on the story. If its a game set in one central location like Chicago or New York. Open world all the way.

if its a world hopping adventure like starwars or star trek, its better to linear because they generally can't do an open world justice when you have multiple worlds/locations. They just end up feeling like open levels rather than open worlds. Like god of war for example, its technically open world but i never felt like any of the realms was its own world in the same way i feel hogwarts legacy and the area around hogwarts feels like its own world.
God of War was technically linear, not open world and the realms felt very distinctive. Not sure what you were smoking there.

Ragnorak is actually about the best happy medium for me honestly. I like both tho, open world and linear, but open world games can get tedious and exhausting faster with all the distractions. And even within that, can often still have a lot of empty spaces. But then if they're too dense, sometimes it's just too much, lol.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
God of War was technically linear, not open world and the realms felt very distinctive. Not sure what you were smoking there.

Ragnorak is actually about the best happy medium for me honestly. I like both tho, open world and linear, but open world games can get tedious and exhausting faster with all the distractions. And even within that, can often still have a lot of empty spaces. But then if they're too dense, sometimes it's just too much, lol.
To me a linear game is like uncharted 4. Where you have to go in a linear direction the entire time (hench the term linear) i guess i'm smoking on the dictionary. You can't backtrack in uncharted 4 from the mid point of the game to where you were at, at the very beginning of game if you wanted to. In God of war i can literary be in the final chapter of the game and go to the area i was in at the very first chapter. (ie the opposite of linear.)
Playing Uncharted 4 all the way through then trying to walk from where you are in teh final chapter all the way back to the panamian prison you were in at the beginning. you can't do it because it's linear.

Edit: also i didn't say the worlds weren't distinct from each other, i said they didn't feel like actual worlds, they were just distinct levels. For example the dwarf village was the literally the only village in all the realms.

Last edited: