First track I ever made from 1997!!! (20 Year Retrospective)

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Thank. You. I got into noise to take it from cacs and ruin it..but of course cacs love it

Only other Black artists I know besides you and I are B L A C K I E, Sean Derrick Cooper Marqudart and Kinnara Desi La..

nikkas call this satanic

The stories I have to tell about my music making journey over the years.

From my first gig in 2003.
To dealing with black folks hating on me calling my music "whitewashed" saying I make "white people music" when house and techno came from the black communities of Chicago and Detroit.
To white people telling me i need to make hiphop music and stop making electronic music on some lowkey racist shyt.
To feeling like i was being sabotaged by white djs/producers and journalists who lowkye just felt some type of way that I was doing my thing in this genre as a black man when its been beyond whitewashed.
To get underbooked and not getting the support of the local community i came up in in Pittsburgh.
To getting backlash for going against VICE and Complex after calling them culture vultures.
To being one of the few black producers and DJs to actively speak up and out on racism in electronic music and lopsided nature of this thing...

I have had to deal with so much bullshyt to get to this point. But its worth it cause ive finally gotten to the point ive managed to make a mark and my fanbase has been growing everyyear for the past couple of years.

Ive just felt black people have hated on me the most doing this...sadly.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
You could put whatever drums you want on that, Black folks no matter where they from won't fukk it.

That industrial shiit, ain't our thing. We love grooves.:manny:

It ain't sad, it just doesn't appeal to us.

I'm bout to go check out Sam Burns tonight legendary Soulful House from DC, he's gonna play great music, that's not on radio, or popular or turn up, but the whole audience will be Black.
I got a diverse following now. That shyt appeals to goth white kids that fukk witb aphex twin and autechre. I got the juke stuff. I do the deep house/tech house stuff. I do the techno stuff. I do the grime/trap stufd. I do the ambient stuff. I make all sorts of records. Thats what you got to do now. Make all sorts of records. And original records too. No remixes.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
noise rap in 1997 :ohhh:

props breh you were low key ahead of your time...

of course basic ass nikkas in here don't know what they're listening to :camby:

who were you listening to at that time?
I was listening to The Chemical Brothers, DJ Shadow, Daft Punk, Aphex Twin, Photek, Goldie, that was when i was going to Camelot Music and going straight to the electronic music section cause that was all the rage in 97.

I started DJing a year and a half later after seeing DJ Spooky live at the Levi's Sno Core tour.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Some more flashback material.

From 2002.

2002-2003

I lost alot of material from this time...including a lost LP called "Deconstruction method Pt. 2" and my first REAL full length completed in fall of 2002.

Grizzly

Home Run Hitter
Daps
Reppin
Bigupyuself
You could put whatever drums you want on that, Black folks no matter where they from won't fukk it.

That industrial shiit, ain't our thing. We love grooves.:manny:

It ain't sad, it just doesn't appeal to us.

I'm bout to go check out Sam Burns tonight legendary Soulful House from DC, he's gonna play great music, that's not on radio, or popular or turn up, but the whole audience will be Black.
nice...I fux with Sam Burns' mixes...his track selection is A1

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
I listen to that track...then my latest album from last year...and its easy to see where alot of the stufr that was on the first track I made came back in cycles..

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
1st page of this thread reminds me of why O never posted my music too often on the Coli or SOHH. Too many people that have no understanding of music outside of hip-hop & R&B. I hate to say that like it seems like a diss and I appreciate the people on here that fukk with it...but damn. Them responses kind of pissed me the fukk off actually.

Like this reminds me of when I first started posting my tracks on SOHH from this album recorded between 2004-2006.

And it got nothing but HATE. People understand that the way the tracks were made and arranged that it was intended to be this way. The sound aesthetic was intentionally glitchy and abstract because i was using alot of live sequencing programming like Ableton and Native Instruments Reaktor/Kontakt/FM7.

I was able to clean up the noisiness and made one last IDM lp under a different name in 2006.

And then I said goodbye to that style cause people didnt get it other than the small community of idm fans on sites like WATMM.

I would post those albums in forums like residentadvisor and erol alkan forums and people were loving and giving it praise. Then those forums shut down.

Before this year the last album I even tried showcasing on here was this..

And people HATED i just swore to never post my music on here ever again...

I remember when I used residentadvisor forums to promote my stuff and a one stop megathread. It got almost 10,000 views.
And what did RA do? SHUT DOWN THE FORUMS.

:why::dwillhuh:

I didnt want to think it was a race thing...but when i had my account on there with my picture of my pretty black self in my AVI and I was making my megathread I guess only then it was a problem....cause I was just following other producers and DJs who did the same thing.

Needless to say regardless of the circumstances I've stayed true to my vision and roots.

I jist learned a long time ago that Americans in general aren't really receptive to music outside of the mainstream sequence/formula/structure and with its fukked up racial politics, the masses really don't expect music like what I've been making over the past 20 years to come from black people and I have white journalists and it always made me feel some type of way...like a lowkey diss. Like they expect this from whites, asians, latins, anybody except black people...as if we arent intelligent enough to make or understand this when black folks are responsible for 90% of all the musical genres in existence.

:gucci:

I hate this narrative and I alwayd wanted to fight back against it while still making my music authentic and not seemed forced like I'm hanging on a bandwagon.

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1st page of this thread reminds me of why O never posted my music too often on the Coli or SOHH. Too many people that have no understanding of music outside of hip-hop & R&B. I hate to say that like it seems like a diss and I appreciate the people on here that fukk with it...but damn. Them responses kind of pissedme the fukk off actually.

Like this reminds me of when I first started posting my tracks on SOHH from this album recorded between 2004-2006.

And it got nothing but HATE. People understand that the way the tracks were made and arranged that it was intended to be this way. The sound aesthetic was intentionally glitchy and abstract because i was using alot of live sequencing programming like Ableton and Native Instruments Reaktor/Kontakt/FM7.

I was able to clean up the noisiness and made one last IDM lp under a different name in 2006.

And then I said goodbye to that style cause people didnt get it other than the small community of idm fans on sites like WATMM.

I would post those albums in forums like residentadvisor and erol alkan forums and people were loving and giving it praise. Then those forums shut down.

Before this year the last album I even tried showcasing on here was this..

And people HATED i just swore to never post my music on here ever again...

I remember when I used residentadvisor forums to promote my stuff and a one stop megathread. It got almost 10,000 views.
And what did RA do? SHUT DOWN THE FORUMS.

:why::dwillhuh:

I didnt want to think it was a race thing...but when i had my account on there with my picture of my pretty black self in my AVI and I was making my megathread I guess only then it was a problem....cause I was just following other producers and DJs who did the same thing.

Needless to say regardless of the circumstances I've stayed true to my vision and roots.

I jist learned a long time ago that Americans in general aren't really receptive to music outside of the mainstream sequence/formula/structure and with its fukked up racial politics, the masses really don't expect music like what I've been making over the past 20 years to come from black people and I have white journalists and it always made me feel some type of way...like a lowkey diss. Like they expect this from whites, asians, latins, anybody except black people...as if we arent intelligent enough to make or understand this when black folks are responsible for 90% of all the musical genres in existence.

:gucci:

I hate this narrative and I alwayd wanted to fight back against it while still making my music authentic and not seemed forced like I'm hanging on a bandwagon.

Black folks are no different from anybody else when it comes to music. Most folks on this planet no matter race, nationality or whatever listen to the obvious stuff that represent their culture or whatever.

Me personally I listen to a lot genres(mostly Black ones) and honestly most of IDM or Glitch is flat horrible, pretentious, "fake deep/artsy" music to me.