Finished Mr. Robot. This show goes beyond homage and is basically a complete rip off/plagiarism.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Its a good show but way overhyped.. and you saw that twist a mile away

Well, the twist of Mr. Robot not being real was the twist everyone saw coming because it was the one that was telegraphed from the beginning.

The real twist was that ol' girl was his sister and Mr. Robot was in the image of his father.

I get that the whole Fight Club thing pisses people off, but it was always supposed to be telegraphed from the jump as soon as we were shown than Elliot was an unreliable narrator (ie. almost immediately)

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
It did blatantly jack "Fight Club" but I let it slide because they were up front about it. Kinda like I would've let Drake slide if he admitted to using ghostwriters from day 1. :youngsabo:

Anyway, the show will be made or broken by it's second season. Since IMO the end of "Fight Club" (both the movie and book) was pretty :trash:

Great premise but in the end it seemed like they had no idea what to do with it. "Mr. Robot" should run around 5 seasons and the creator (supposedly) has the entire arc mapped out.

So if they nail season 2 onward, especially if they go into the aftermath of what a Project Mayhem type plan would do to the world....I can't really complain.

Fred.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
dont tell me this breh, i planned on watching the show soon :wow:
Heres the thing. Its still an entertaining show and well made. In no way am I saying the show is garbage. Watch it for sure. Its just very,very unoriginal and considering the overwhelming praise this board was giving it.....I just expected something :ohhh::krs: and what I got was a thinly veiled "homage" to a better film.

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
The series finale was extremely anticlimactic. I need to watch fight club again to see if OP is right
Breh, you're talking to someone who's literally watched fight club 40+ times and read the book (which,lets be honest,is a rare case of the film being better) another 10 times.

I know every scene and piece of dialogue off by heart.

I just hit the main points. But the show embodies fight clubs soul if that makes sense. And theres a shyt ton of references throughout that only a fight club stan would notice. Just little stuff here and there. A sentence,the way a scene is shot,the use of music. The use of the voiceover that sounds very ed norton ish in style. Its little things too not just the plot outline. Like after the twist in robot him walking up in his car asking how long have i been asleep which in fight club ed norton wakes up asking how long have i been asleep? Tons of little stuff like that on top of the obvious stuff. Its too much.

After reading up on it even the creator admits it and is upfront that he takes all his stuff from other shows/films.

:yeshrug:

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
not sure why you'd come in this thread thinking someone would say a show is plagiarized but not discuss a single plot point lol
I was trying to be as vague as possible in OP so I wouldnt spoil it too much for anyone who hasnt watched,curiousity for people not to click.

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Its a good show but way overhyped.. and you saw that twist a mile away
The twist honestly kinda ruined the season for me.
At first i was like :ehh::russ: at the objective being straight ripped out of fight club but thought as long as the rest of it is original who cares,since its a damn cool plot point anyway and a nod to a great film.

But when they did that i was like :wow: this is a fukking shameless rip off.

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
It did blatantly jack "Fight Club" but I let it slide because they were up front about it. Kinda like I would've let Drake slide if he admitted to using ghostwriters from day 1. :youngsabo:

Anyway, the show will be made or broken by it's second season. Since IMO the end of "Fight Club" (both the movie and book) was pretty :trash:

Great premise but in the end it seemed like they had no idea what to do with it. "Mr. Robot" should run around 5 seasons and the creator (supposedly) has the entire arc mapped out.

So if they nail season 2 onward, especially if they go into the aftermath of what a Project Mayhem type plan would do to the world....I can't really complain.

Fred.
The ending of fight club when ed norton grabbed helenas hand and where is my mind started playing as the credit buildings came down is one of my favorite uses of music in film ever. That moment was literally perfect.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The twist honestly kinda ruined the season for me.
At first i was like :ehh::russ: at the objective being straight ripped out of fight club but thought as long as the rest of it is original who cares,since its a damn cool plot point anyway and a nod to a great film.

But when they did that i was like :wow: this is a fukking shameless rip off.
Sam came out and said it wasn't supposed to be a twist, he telegraphed Mr. Robot being Eliott from the jump.

The twist was the chick being his sister.

Cabbage Patch

The Media scene in V is for Vendetta is the clue
Daps
Reppin
The Last Frontier
It's a lot more than fight club. I wrote up a list in the other thread. And there's still more. And I still recommend Mr Robot.

Anyway, the first scene is Elliott being a hackivist catcher in the rye for victims of pedophilia. I figured it's not just the morphine and the fall from the window that has him fukked up. Elliott had a habit of repressing his most painful memories but everyone around him can't, and treat him gently. Why would that be?

He kinda reminded me of the main character in The Search for Simon. Unreliable narrator, treated gently, plot twist a mile away that still manages to have a profound impact.

Elliot's dad and the missing $20. What happened to Elliot and his dad that his dad just called the customer a jerk? Stuff like that.

And I still say his mom and the foreign chick look too similar to one another. Not sure the casting point of that yet.

Cabbage Patch

The Media scene in V is for Vendetta is the clue
Daps
Reppin
The Last Frontier
The ending of fight club when ed norton grabbed helenas hand and where is my mind started playing as the credit buildings came down is one of my favorite uses of music in film ever. That moment was literally perfect.
That year was one of the goats for movies. And yes, that ending was perfect.