Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker wins Metacritics' #1 Award for PlayStation Exclusive

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
Another one :wow:

yoe3ys9yj6a81.png

Last night at The Game Awards, you probably saw Final Fantasy XIV clean up in two categories, Best Ongoing Game and Best Community Support. The MMO has grown a fiercely loyal fanbase, and with the new release of the Endwalker expansion, it’s treading into some new territory.

As far as I can tell, Final Fantasy Endwalker boasts the highest score on Metacritic among users in 2021, and one of the highest in the all-time list, though it may decline as more reviews roll in.

Right now, the PC version of Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker has a 9.5/10 user score on the site. Here’s how that compares to other big hits this year:

endwalker2
Endwalker METACRITIC
Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker – 9.5 (9.2 on PS5, 9.7 on PS4)
It Takes Two – 9.2
Monster Hunter Rise – 9.0
Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy – 8.8
Inscryption – 8.8
Metroid Dread – 8.7
Tales of Arise – 8.7
Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart – 8.6
Forza Horizon 5 – 8.6
Resident Evil Village – 8.5
Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade – 8.4
Disco Elysium: The Final Cut – 8.2
Microsoft Flight Simulator – 8.1
Halo Infinite – 7.6
Returnal – 7.3
Deathloop – 6.3
Psychonauts 2 – 5.9
This is also higher than Shadowbringers, the other beloved Final Fantasy XIV expansion, sitting at a 9.1 on PC. If we’re talking all-time high scores, it’s actually #12 on the list beating out The Witcher 3 with a 9.4, Half-Life Alyx with a 9.2 and both Last of Us games with a 9.2. Granted, those games have many thousands more reviews counted, and the PC version of Endwalker only has a few hundred in, but still, it’s significant.

The narrative is clear, however, Endwalker is a massive hit for Final Fantasy XIV fans, which does reflect the sentiment I’ve seen on social media among players since its release. The launch of the game has caused a surge of the game’s playercount, though after being in Steam’s top 10 for a bit, it has mostly been resting inside the top 20. The vast bulk of its players play on the native launcher, however.

Final Fantasy XIV continues to be one of the industry’s most impressive turnaround stories, an utter disaster that was reworked into what we’re seeing here, one of the most beloved MMOs in history creating must-have expansions over time that are still satisfying the playerbase after all these years. As World of Warcraft has dramatically declined, Final Fantasy XIV is new the gold standard for MMOs, and everyone should be looking to its example in terms of what it’s been able to accomplish with both its turnaround and ongoing content releases.

‘Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker’ Is The Highest Scored Game On Metacritic By Users In 2021

Last edited:

Pimp

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lol someone actually negged me and said lies.. The games creator said "there's significantly more players on pc than ps4"

You can't see your DPS on playstation so you're just pressing buttons not knowing how much damage you're doing. When you play on pc you download ACT and see damage in real time.. Whenever i see low dps i assume they're on playstation or they don't have ACT..

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
During a PAX interview this past weekend, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn producer Naoki Yoshida told us that they expect the balance between the PC and console versions of the game to be 70 percent PC / 30 percent console.
You're quoting something from 8 years ago.

FFXIV producer expects some to shift from PC to PS4

During a PAX interview this past weekend, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn producer Naoki Yoshida told us that they expect the balance between the PC and console versions of the game to be 70 percent PC / 30 percent console. On the other hand, PCs in Japan are mostly used for work, so that’ll be upside down there. Yoshida explained that while Final Fantasy XI helped bring more Japanese gamers to PC, they still predict 65 percent of players to use a console for this next game.

However, he expects that with the release of the PS4 version, knowing “how great the PS4 version is going to be,” these percentages might shift and go a little bit more in favor of consoles in both territories.

“Players will be able to have a full HD display with hundreds of characters on at a time — and be in your living room,” Yoshida explained. “This is all for the price of the PS4 console, rather than having to put together a couple thousand dollars worth of PC equipment.

“Once players realize they can do that, I think a lot of players will go that route.”

Yoshida confirmed that the PS4 version of A Realm Reborn is coming early 2014, so it’s not even that far off.