Film Room's Top 10 Movies of 2018 voting thread (RESULTS ARE IN)

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
MV5BOTA1MTY0MDYxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzY5MTk2NjM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,674,1000_AL_.jpg
Great list!!
:smoothhoffa:

pZeeH.png

greatone

Pro
Supporter
Daps
List for now. I still have to watch Black Klansman, Sorry to Bother you, and Widows so some will probably be dropping off.

1) A Quiet Place
2) Deadpool 2
3) Blindspotting
4) Sicario: Day of the Soldado
5) Antman and the wasp
6) 22 July
7) Den of Thieves
8) Avengers Infinity War
9) Ready Player One
10) The Warning

HM. The Predator, Tag, and Mission Impossible

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Still have to peep Shoplifters Can you ever Forgive me and sisters brothers before i finalize my list.

All hit digital in the next 2 weeks

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Still have to peep Shoplifters Can you ever Forgive me and sisters brothers before i finalize my list.

All hit digital in the next 2 weeks
Can You Ever Forgive Me is trash outside of Richard E. Grant's role and performance, and The Sisters Brothers is plain mediocre as hell. I'm finalizing my list now and Shoplifters could end up anywhere between #2-5 though because outside of Climax (my undisputed #1) my entire top 5 is interchangeable in my love for them.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Can You Ever Forgive Me is trash outside of Richard E. Grant's role and performance, and The Sisters Brothers is plain mediocre as hell. I'm finalizing my list now and Shoplifters could end up anywhere between #2-5 though because outside of Climax (my undisputed #1) my entire top 5 is interchangeable in my love for them.
Haven't seen cold war either

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
A new year means a new top 10, also known as The only top 10 that ever matters™, if only because I actually bother to explain why you should give a fukk about these 10 films.

There are only a few other films in history that can match the frantic energy of Climax, and all of them were made by Gaspar Noé too. The true l'enfant terrible of arthouse cinema makes his most focused (yet deranged) picture since Irréversible, and only he has the balls to start a film with ten minutes of character introductions and a five minute long-take dance scene. Nobody handles a camera better, nobody gets his cast (of largely non-actors) to commit to such outrageousness and nobody could ever outdo him. Some films are good, some films are great, but Climax is gruesome, in every sense of the word as well as any new sense you could give to the word. Because anything less would be an insult to the onslaught on your own senses that this film presents.

There's probably no other film that I had to think about longer to put at #2 than Shoplifters, which is a testament to the interchangeable greatness of all films following it, but also speaks on an impossible quality this film contains. It's the gut-wrenching feeling that the third act of this film produces when it clashes cold hard facts about the events you saw before against your feeling, and you realize there is no greater injustice in the world than judging a person by their actions and not by their reasons. It's the greatest film about family made in years, and when you dissect the bonds of this family, you may very well dissect every relationship in your life that's worth a damn.

I love dark humor. I bask in it. The Favourite is a film that basks in it too. It is delightfully shot, acted and written, boasting political and social satire with glorious, glorious madness and a genuine, earned hint of feminism. The year's most enjoyable romp that has quotables for days. 'Have you come to seduce or rape me?' 'Why, I'll have you know I am a gentleman!' 'Rape it is then.'

Pawel Pawlikowski's Cold War could easily be seen as a film that shows fragments of an impossible love between two people. And it is that, but at the same time it also touches deeply on the loss of culture and the loss of one's identity. Shot in gorgeous black and white, featuring a soundtrack that subtly transforms a traditional folk song into the worst yet powerful of cultural appropiations on either side of the Iron Curtain and actors as gorgeous as the old stars of Hollywood, it's a quiet storm of brilliance.

It fukking pains me to put this film at a spot as low as #5. Like a deep, fukking pain in my heart where you know this film deserves so much more recognition than you can possibly give it. Burning is a masterclass in ambiguity. It is a film in which every character, every development, every line of dialogue and every bit of scenery has so many different faces to it that you could argue two different interpretations of the film for days and conclude that you both have the proof to support your case, but not enough proof to state it as fact. It is the same struggle the lead character of the film deals with, and no other film in history may be able to put you on the same line as him. When the climax of the film hits, you perfectly understand why he does what he does, even if you fully understand the possibility that he could be horribly wrong. A masterclass.

I'm the biggest Orson Welles stan on this board and donated $500 to the Indiegogo campaign to get this film made. It lived up to all my expectations, so congratulations to my top 5 for doing the absolute fukking impossible and making me put my most anticipated film of the past five years on #6. The Other Side Of The Wind is a fast-paced and relentless onslaught of Hollywood satire that has John Huston spout lines of the sharpest tongue Orson Welles ever had in a kinetic montage of quick cuts. It's a film that never stops to rest as it tears apart all conventions in every way imaginable. The last masterpiece from the original GOAT.

Masaaki Yuasa is a madman and a genius. There is no other person alive who can create a film that is exactly what you would expect from him, yet everything that happens in it is nothing you could possibly expect in your lifetime. Night Is Short, Walk On Girl (forget the "The") is a rampage of witty, erratic and wildly enjoyable anime unlike anything you have ever seen (unless you have seen The Tatami Galaxy, which is a spiritual predecessor to this film and should also be seen by everybody alive just like everybody alive should see this).

BlacKkKlansman is Spike Lee to a T. It is a film with undeniable commercial appeal that at the same time is so confronting about issues of race that most people would shyt their pants watching it. This is after all a film that opens with a scene (completely unrelated to the rest of the film I might add) of a white power parody of the Malcolm X film's opening. It's a film that stops in its tracks to spend multiple minutes watching black people proudfully dance and enjoy themselves in unison. It's a film that gives you a happy Hollywood ending, and then in seconds destroys it to remind you that nothing has changed, and every issue the film presents, exists today. And you could hear a fukking pin drop when it happened if it weren't for all the people shytting their pants.

To make a good film about summer love, you need to be honest. Which means you have to embrace that most summer love is vapid, and meaningless, and all the enjoyment on the surface hides envy, jealousy and repression. Abdellatif Kechiche gets that, and fully embraces it in Mektoub My Love: Canto Uno, the first of his as-of-yet unfinished two-parter. The 180 minutes running time would be pure overkill for any other filmmaker, but Kechiche's voyeuristic approach to an often ignored (or laughably dramatized) period in most people's lives is more honest than most people would ever dare to be.

The best comic book film of the year is the one that appreciates its source material the most, from the style to the adventures to the wild, wild possibilities. With the dopest style since Jet Set Radio hit the Dreamcast, a fast-paced story that hits all the right beats, a sick-ass soundtrack that can make you hum a fukking Post Malone song and references and easter eggs for days, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is the ultimate film for everyone who once was, still is, or will one day be a kid with a dream.​

kej718

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Black Panther
If Beale Street Could Talk
Avengers Infinity War
Sorry To Bother You
The Equalizer 2
Deadpool 2
Hereditary