Film Critic Roger Ebert Has Passed Away At Age 70

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It was riveting, watching him and Siskel go back and forth about movies, as a 90s kid :salute:

A Black woman stood with him to the end, even when he lost the bottom of his face :ohlawd:

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
In the late 90's the Legendary Critics Eugene Siskel who died in 99' and Roger Ebert who died yesterday went to Congress to tell them to stop using Entertainment as scapegoat for society's problems. Many brushed off their speech since they felt they were both mouthpiece's for the Entertainment Industry. But if you watch the video today it seems somebody like Lupe needs to see this. I've never said Entertainment is all good or doesn't have a negative influence at times. But the fact is this. No Movies, No Book, No Rap song or Video Game ever killed anyone. People need to take responsibility. Props to Siskel and Ebert for actually defending Hip Hop at a time it wasn't popular too. Also this isn't to give Ross a pass for his lyrics as he apologized but even then, no Rick Ross song ever made someone rape anyone:

515e549576c2a.preview-300.jpg

The Time Roger Ebert Told Off Congress

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
Damn, I always liked how he gave 3 stars to damn near anything unless it was straight trash :laugh:

It's not about being "right", it's about being honest.

I would much rather a critic "miss" on some movies, like this list, than just plays follow the leader and echoes popular sentiment all the time.

THIS is why I always checked his reviews.. you see critics giving the dumbest movies good reviews even if they were boring scandinavian black and white silent films like :zzz: talking about 'brilliant cinematography and blah blah' even though it was boring as fukk.... while for ebert if it was entertaining, he'd give it a :tu:

people dont watch movies for any other reason except to be entertained.. and it felt like he was the only one who actually knew that and took it into consideration. thats why you see some movies that were negatively reviewed from most critics who tripping over themselves to bring out their thesauruses and references trying to destroy a movie like ebert has done, while he was giving one of the few positive reviews

the only film review book i got was his 'the great movies' and i still look in there if i wanna watch something classic :wow:

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
As I've gotten older, I truly love his work, more and more. I have almost all his books, and I sometimes just thumb through "Your Movie Sucks", or any of his books with bad reviews, and laugh out loud for 45 min or so, esp. if need to lighten up, or decompress before going to sleep. Every time I come across a movie, I haven't heard of, or seen, I look up an Ebert review, as I watch, it's as much fun, if not more, then the movie. His writing is literature, such humor, grace, and humanity within the lines of a simple movie review. I see myself in him, as someone who see's maybe 40 movies alone mostly, in theaters, as I sit in the darkened room, candy, soda, and I feel at home, at peace, like it's where I belong.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Dude lived in my neighborhood. Chill kat and I always respected him.

He was even one of the few critics that have given black films props.

Oh and he really didn't take no shyt from no one especially if you disrespected his wife. Seen him curse out some yuppies in the neighborhood cause they were being disrespectful to her.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
As I've gotten older, I truly love his work, more and more. I have almost all his books, and I sometimes just thumb through "Your Movie Sucks", or any of his books with bad reviews, and laugh out loud for 45 min or so, esp. if need to lighten up, or decompress before going to sleep. Every time I come across a movie, I haven't heard of, or seen, I look up an Ebert review, as I watch, it's as much fun, if not more, then the movie. His writing is literature, such humor, grace, and humanity within the lines of a simple movie review. I see myself in him, as someone who see's maybe 40 movies alone mostly, in theaters, as I sit in the darkened room, candy, soda, and I feel at home, at peace, like it's where I belong.
When a movie comes out I'll sometimes wonder what ebert would have thought of it.

like "would Ebert have enjoyed Arrival or Logan :patrice: