FFXVI underperforming, mobile and final fantasy's brand weakening leading to massive square stock losses.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

Knew this was coming, making exclusive deals ruining the overall brand. Should have been on steam at the very least.

Additional context , mobile numbers are really concerning

XVI didn't flop though.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Maybe they should let the DMC team make DMC games and go back to making Final Fantasy games. Just a thought.
Probably lost as many sales as they gained making a Final Fantasy game that was more a character action game. That's what happens when you try and leverage a brand name into a different product than the fan base was accustomed to.

It's like Nintendo releasing a game called Mario Kart that's actually a pure racing sim. That's not what Mario Kart fans want or expect. Might be a great sim but fans still didn't ask for that.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I heard the same complaints from RPG and final fantasy heads about 16.

Too much *filler*
Not enough customization.
Items don't really matter outside of damage defense and stun.
Crafting is limited and bare bones.
Status effects and elemental damage are little to none existent.
Limited types of monsters.
Technically only 1 class of character to play.

All that really could have been alleviated within this game.

A lot of side quests should have been just part of the main story and a lot of the main story quests could have been side quests.

The combat has a ton of potential but ultimately falls flat outside huge boss battles or challenging fights.

I do think they should keep a final fantasy that keeps this kind of action though, and instead of super jrpg convoluted stories, keeps a more grounded and short JRPG experience.

There is room for both.

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
Bold of you to assume they'll ever release actual numbers

More likely a tweet by Aaron Greenberg saying they hit all their "internal metrics of success," whatever that means
I know they won’t I was just trolling, this game is hitting game pass day 1 people talking about “Oh some people will buy it on Xbox”. Perhaps a small minority will but a majority will be enjoying this game courtesy of game pass, now you only have the PC demo to fall on.

This sounds bias and people can take from it what they will but leaving games of PS is not the same as leaving them of Xbox. The ownership for for Xbox series 1 is greater (due to PS5 early supply shortages) but I am still willing to hedge my bet on PS being the more lucrative platform as a whole. People implying Final Fantasy 16 flopped because it wasn’t on Xbox is laughable.

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
I know they won’t I was just trolling, this game is hitting game pass day 1 people talking about “Oh some people will buy it on Xbox”. Perhaps a small minority will but a majority will be enjoying this game courtesy of game pass, now you only have the PC demo to fall on.

This sounds bias and people can take from it what they will but leaving games of PS is not the same as leaving them of Xbox. The ownership for for Xbox series 1 is greater (due to PS5 early supply shortages) but I am still willing to hedge my bet on PS being the more lucrative platform as a whole. People implying Final Fantasy 16 flopped because it wasn’t on Xbox is laughable.
I doubt it would have been more than 5-10% of an increase from Xbox sales. PC would have probably been more lucrative

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I heard the same complaints from RPG and final fantasy heads about 16.

Too much *filler*
Not enough customization.
Items don't really matter outside of damage defense and stun.
Crafting is limited and bare bones.
Status effects and elemental damage are little to none existent.
Limited types of monsters.
Technically only 1 class of character to play.

All that really could have been alleviated within this game.

A lot of side quests should have been just part of the main story and a lot of the main story quests could have been side quests.

The combat has a ton of potential but ultimately falls flat outside huge boss battles or challenging fights.

I do think they should keep a final fantasy that keeps this kind of action though, and instead of super jrpg convoluted stories, keeps a more grounded and short JRPG experience.

There is room for both.
I agree with all of this.

It wasn't apparent in the demo since I just assumed it's the first couple of hours only and there's still more to see. By the time I got to the third eikon I realized the combat was repetitive and NOTHING else really mattered. No status ailments, no debuffing/buffing needed at all. I feel like Persona 5 has more depth to its combat than FFXVI as you at least have to deal with buffing/debuffing enemies, weaknesses that exploit you and that can be exploited etc. FFXVI feels way too easy and I I think can be completed without needing any other Eikon ability.

I like the real time combat but it's sorely lacking which makes it just disappointing. I think FFVII Rebirth will be way better as it still has the traditional aspects of older FF games while being somewhat real time.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I agree with all of this.

It wasn't apparent in the demo since I just assumed it's the first couple of hours only and there's still more to see. By the time I got to the third eikon I realized the combat was repetitive and NOTHING else really mattered. No status ailments, no debuffing/buffing needed at all. I feel like Persona 5 has more depth to its combat than FFXVI as you at least have to deal with buffing/debuffing enemies, weaknesses that exploit you and that can be exploited etc. FFXVI feels way too easy and I I think can be completed without needing any other Eikon ability.

I like the real time combat but it's sorely lacking which makes it just disappointing. I think FFVII Rebirth will be way better as it still has the traditional aspects of older FF games while being somewhat real time.
I felt FFXVI was more about building blocks toward an action adventure FF game.I liked the game because of the story and character,but the flaws like mentioned above are pretty glaring. I think the whole side quest system was too much like an MMO, but they are necessary for world building and lore. I think if they build on this it could be something special, but if this is just a one off. Then FF16 would be a major disappointment because it kinda felt like Assassin's creed 1 for me where it set the foundation for Assassin's Creed 2

Flexington

All Star
Daps
I felt FFXVI was more about building blocks toward an action adventure FF game.I liked the game because of the story and character,but the flaws like mentioned above are pretty glaring. I think the whole side quest system was too much like an MMO, but they are necessary for world building and lore. I think if they build on this it could be something special, but if this is just a one off. Then FF16 would be a major disappointment because it kinda felt like Assassin's creed 1 for me where it set the foundation for Assassin's Creed 2

That was probably my biggest problem, side quests in this threw off the whole pacing every time, and there was a lot and little variety in the activites. especially because all fights are the same.

I appreciated what the side quests did for character development and lore, but they also went about that in an archaic and MMO type of way. You're running from one town to another for some gyshal greens...and then when you get to the final spot there's a random group of bandit enemies, kill them and hear an NPC 3 min monologue about how these greens saved the town in the old days :beli:.

The game is presenting itself as a modern action game in all other areas, but still using old school static poorly synced dialog cutscenes every few mins is jarring. If they're staying in the action lane they need to take notes from others in the genre like GoW, the Last of Us, shyt even the arkham games and have side characters converse with you on the way to objectives.

Wasn't a bad game, just disappointing considering this is the first full-fledge PS5 game and it felt like a PS3.5 game at times with their odd gameplay design choices and focus on the visual spectacle in eikon fights over the consistency in graphic fidelity.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
That was probably my biggest problem, side quests in this threw off the whole pacing every time, and there was a lot and little variety in the activites. especially because all fights are the same.

I appreciated what the side quests did for character development and lore, but they also went about that in an archaic and MMO type of way. You're running from one town to another for some gyshal greens...and then when you get to the final spot there's a random group of bandit enemies, kill them and hear an NPC 3 min monologue about how these greens saved the town in the old days :beli:.

The game is presenting itself as a modern action game in all other areas, but still using old school static poorly synced dialog cutscenes every few mins is jarring. If they're staying in the action lane they need to take notes from others in the genre like GoW, the Last of Us, shyt even the arkham games and have side characters converse with you on the way to objectives.

Wasn't a bad game, just disappointing considering this is the first full-fledge PS5 game and it felt like a PS3.5 game at times with their odd gameplay design choices and focus on the visual spectacle in eikon fights over the consistency in graphic fidelity.

TBF I dont think people realize how much money sony spends on their games to have that consistency throughout the whole game

Flexington

All Star
Daps
TBF I dont think people realize how much money sony spends on their games to have that consistency throughout the whole game

Felt like they ran out of money by the time we got to

Odin. They barely had any sort of Eikon spectacle there. We transformed to ifrit once, pressed square, got smacked back to normal. Blew the budget on Bahamut