Fetishzation & Exotization of US Creoles, Louisiana history & People

I AM WE ARE

Banned
Daps
Reppin
The N.O
None of Beyonce's mother's ancestors are Haitian. They're all, native Louisianians with

afro roots - via Senegal and/or Congo

anglo roots - white merchant from Virginia

french roots - straight from france

acadian roots - white french canadian

wM9CXLY.jpg

Beyoncé and Solange Knowles breaking boundaries - Page 4 of 4 - Louisiana Historic and Cultural Vistas

Beyoncé Knowles: Myths, Acadian & African Ancestors
So what's this about her being related to the queen

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
They (OG stock) were more like a sub-group the same way you have/had Gullah-Geeches, Afro-Dutch, "Black Indians" etc..all as distinct subsets of Afram history-identity. The Haitians that came in were another group but they blended into a population/culture that already existed and over time, their "foreignness" got blended out.

to add to that:

The OG Creole (black and white) population of New Orleans didn't consider the Haitian Refugees (black or white) and/or European French who came in during the Spanish period as "Creole" but instead foreigners/"foreign french"

guiAz7W.jpg

8QEFKe3.jpg

Supper

All Star
Daps
MYTH- NEW ORLEANS IS DIFFERENT FROM OTHER BLACK AREAS OF THE SOUTH BECAUSE OF IT'S CREOLE CATHOLIC CHURCH INFLUENCES

:childplease:

repost

facts

this sure sounds alot like typcial catholic church music this creole man is giving a history lesson on:sas2:

Worshippers Flock To Century-Old Black Catholic Church

Worshippers Flock To Century-Old Black Catholic Church

@Supper , you posted some great info on this before so I'll let you post it in here too

Black American cultural ubiquity in Negro Spirituals, not only among modern english speaking creoles but in franchophone creoles of the past.

first-Page-S095079220001365-Xa-1.jpg

Screenshot-2021-08-17-French-Louisiana-Music-and-Its-Patrons.png

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
Black American cultural ubiquity in Negro Spirituals, not only among modern english speaking creoles but in franchophone creoles of the past.

first-Page-S095079220001365-Xa-1.jpg

Screenshot-2021-08-17-French-Louisiana-Music-and-Its-Patrons.png
This is just one of many reasons why I think most attempts to divorce Creoles from the African American ethnic family is disingenuous.

It’s interesting to me how any presumed influence out of the Caribbean is accepted as an example of how they aren’t American, yet the cultural influences that originated from the core African American population coming out of VA, NC, SC, etc. are overlooked lol…

But hey, who am I to define who people are or choose to be. That’s why I just observe, take notes, and stay out of it.
:hubie:

Supper

All Star
Daps
But hey, who am I to define who people are or choose to be. That’s why I just observe, take notes, and stay out of it.

Thing is the vast majority of BA-creoles identity with the BA ethnicity as a regional sub group tho.

A few loud and wrong wanna be exotic wishful thinkers online who like tag team with foreign flag appropriators of black american culture don't speak for the majority of the group.

Same with the few "twitter geechees" who like to rant and rave about how "caribbean" and "african" they are as seperate from the BA ethnic group disconnected from reality. In actuality the vast majority of geehee folk are conscious of the fact they are a small part of the greater BA ethnicity.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
This is just one of many reasons why I think most attempts to divorce Creoles from the African American ethnic family is disingenuous.

It’s interesting to me how any presumed influence out of the Caribbean is accepted as an example of how they aren’t American, yet the cultural influences that originated from the core African American population coming out of VA, NC, SC, etc. are overlooked lol…

It's because most people have no knowledge of colonial era louisiana or the intra-southern, upper south slave trade connection but they know of haitian refugees settling there, which plays/feeds into the Caribbean narrative

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Another famous Gourdine is Anthony Gourdine (Little Anthony and the Imperials)

littleanhony.jpg

With him being from NYC I’m sure that surname/South Carolina connection is there.

I don't know if ever heard of him but the underground rapper, Akir (he had a big buzz in mid to early 2010s) is a Gourdine/related to Meredith

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
@im_sleep @Supper

Even with all the Caribbean origin narratives, the official flag that the Creoles go by, displays not a single ode to to Haiti. It actually only celebrates the origins of what came to be OG Louisiana Creoles from the colonial period:

poster,504x498,f8f8f8-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

Designed by Pete Bergeron in 1987 and adopted by C.R.E.O.L.E., Inc., a Lafayette based African-American heritage preservation group, the Flag of Louisiana Creoles represents the cultural melting pot that is the Louisiana Creoles. The first flag was hand stitched by Bergeron's sister, Delores Kay Conque of Carencro, La.

By adopting the Creole flag, C.R.E.O.L.E., Inc. upholds its mission statement, "to identify, preserve and promote the numerous aspects of the Creole culture of southwest Louisiana."

Today there are Creole populations in New Orleans, St. James Parish, Isle Brevelle, Cane River, Opelousas, Lafayette and other Louisiana towns. The Creole flag celebrates the mixed lineage, culture and religion of these Louisiana Creoles.

The upper left section, a white fleur de lis on a blue field, represents Louisiana's French heritage. On the lower left and upper right sections, West African heritage is represented by the Mali Republic National tri-color flag (green, yellow and red) and the Senegal Republic National flag (green, yellow and red). Spanish Colonial heritage is depicted by the Tower of Castille (gold tower on a red field) on the lower right section. A white cross dividing the four symbols represents the Christian faith accepted by the Muslim and Islamic from Senegal and Mali in Louisiana.

Brer Dog

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Jambalaya is a variation of the Charleston Red Rice dish.
Do you think there's a connection between Jambalaya and South Carolina Chicken bog?

chicken-bog-recipe-4690802-final-db23b0e1bd534dd0b291cffedaa4fba2.jpg

chicken+bog+PN.jpg

Creamy-Chicken-Bog-5.jpg

chicken-bog19.jpg

Never noticed the resemblance till now

Last edited: