Fences 2016

Daps
Idk how you missed so much. Cory says that he isn't going to the funeral. Then his mother breaks it down for him. Then the have a moment when Troy appears when the sun shines down on them. That's when Cory realizes what his father did for him. Troy failed at a criminal life, then as a baseball player. He makes a modest living as a garbage man. He pushes Cory to get ahead in the work forces so that he would not have the same fate he did. Troy did not have a male figure in his life. He tries the best way he can to mode Cory into a man because he failed with his first son. It was common in those times for a man to illegitimate children across town. The cheating was unfortunate, but in the 1950s that was a common reality for black woman. Rose is symbol of what strong black women were in those days Troy did what he set out to do. He provided for his family, in spite of racism. He was not perfect but he did not fail his family.
I didn't miss anything. I saw everything you said. I read the play in AP Lit. I don't know how you define Black excellence but that's how I define it. "Black excellence" to me is strong, healthy family unit, accomplishing something great, heroic feats, etc.

SouthSac916

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Sacramento
I didn't miss anything. I saw everything you said. I read the play in AP Lit. I don't know how you define Black excellence but that's how I define it. "Black excellence" to me is strong, healthy family unit, accomplishing something great, heroic feats, etc.
Troy was the 1950s Cliff Huxtable and Cory was Theo. What was your major in college? Just curious?

Daps
At what point did Cliff Huxtable have a second family and verbally abuse Theo? That's a long reacH. I think part of the greatness of Fences is how real it is. Black families went through these struggles and overcame them but Troy's family is not the model example of who we should be like the Huxtables.

Troy was the 1950s Cliff Huxtable and Cory was Theo. What was your major in college? Just curious?
I'm 20, I'm still in college. I go to the University of Notre Dame and I'm a psych major/Japanese minor on a pre-med track

Last edited:
Daps
@Richard Wright Explain to me why you felt you had to neg me? I didn't say anything idiotic. I said it was a beautiful film, I just didn't think there family was a display of Black excellence. You're an idiot if you can't come up with a cohesive argument for why I'm wrong.
I'm not the only one who came to this conclusion
http://m.sparknotes.com/drama/fences/canalysis.html

Last edited:

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps

SouthSac916

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Sacramento
At what point did Cliff Huxtable have a second family and verbally abuse Theo? That's a long reacH. I think part of the greatness of Fences is how real it is. Black families went through these struggles and overcame them but Troy's family is not the model example of who we should be like the Huxtables.

I'm 20, I'm still in college. I go to the University of Notre Dame and I'm a psych major/Japanese minor on a pre-med track
Fences is the model example of a black family during that time period. The huxtables achievements during troys time period would've been few and far between. Schools, neighborhoods, and the military were still being intergrated. Gender roles were traditional, men worked and women kept the house clean. But this family lived in a house on a peaceful block, Troy got a promotion, his wife made key decisions in the household....they were very close to what 1950s huxtable family would be. If not, what would a huxtable family look like in 1950s apartheid America?

teacher

All Star
Daps
Great movie...no moments that would make me feel uncomfortable around CaCs. :obama: