Fences 2016

Bootzilla

Direct from the chocolate milkyway
Daps
Reppin
Hampton va
Just saw it and honestly think it was in the run for best 2016 had me all emotional and invested.
denzel and bono:russ:
gabe in the hospital :to:
the audience when rose tells troy he is nowa woman less man :ooh:
when cory goes ay it with troy and has his ass handed to him:damn:
I realy recommend this movie and it is a great display of black exellence.
Any thoughts

Daps
It's a powerful movie but I wouldn't say it was a display of black excellence unless you're talking about acting talent.

Daps
Why is this movie not a display of black excellence?
Where did you find any Black excellence? Troy's mother abandoned their children. His father was a drunk who abused his children and attempted to rape a 13 year old girl. Troy robbed for money before being sent to prison leaving behind his child and "woman". He eventually realizes how amazing he is at baseball only for his age and race to stop him from accomplishing his dreams. The only reason he has a home is because of his brother injury in combat, something he greatly resents. He's verbally abusive to Cory, holds him back from accomplishing his dreams, and eventually drives him away because of his own insecurities. He cheats on his loyal and supportive wife and has an out of wedlock child and places much of the blame on her and his responsibilities. I could keep going. Troy is a troubled man who manages to destroy/hurt everyone he cares about most. The only highlight in the play/film is his raise.

SouthSac916

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Sacramento
Where did you find any Black excellence? Troy's mother abandoned their children. His father was a drunk who abused his children and attempted to rape a 13 year old girl. Troy robbed for money before being sent to prison leaving behind his child and "woman". He eventually realizes how amazing he is at baseball only for his age and race to stop him from accomplishing his dreams. The only reason he has a home is because of his brother injury in combat, something he greatly resents. He's verbally abusive to Cory, holds him back from accomplishing his dreams, and eventually drives him away because of his own insecurities. He cheats on his loyal and supportive wife and has an out of wedlock child and places much of the blame on her and his responsibilities. I could keep going. Troy is a troubled man who manages to destroy/hurt everyone he cares about most. The only highlight in the play/film is his raise.
Wow. You are a very angry person. Why are you so negative?

The movie is about a black man in the 1950s raising his son to be better than he was in a world that was harsh for black folks during that time period. And he succeeded. You missed the purpose of the movie. These people survived tragic situations and still managed to make the best of their circumstances.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
Great film, great performances and they handled the movie. Character driven and they drove this film.

Really an understatement saying how good the performances were. I knew Viola would test Denzel and she did just that.

Black Excellence throughout

Daps
Wow. You are a very angry person. Why are you so negative?

The movie is about a black man in the 1950s raising his son to be better than he was in a world that was harsh for black folks during that time period. And he succeeded. You missed the purpose of the movie. These people survived tragic situations and still managed to make the best of their circumstances.
What? I'm not angry or negative. :stopitslime:It's a beautiful film/play for several reasons. That's certainly a one sided way to look at Fences. There are so many other elements to the story you're blatently ignoring. I think Cory succeeded in spite of his father not because of him. Troy loved his family and he tried to do what he felt was best for his son but he failed them in a lot of ways. Did you ignore Roses' monulogue?

SouthSac916

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Sacramento
What? I'm not angry or negative. :stopitslime:It's a beautiful film/play for several reasons. That's certainly a one sided way to look at Fences. There are so many other elements to the story you're blatently ignoring. I think Cory succeeded in spite of his father not because of him. Troy loved his family and he tried to do what he felt was best for his son but he failed them in a lot of ways. Did you ignore Roses' monulogue?
Idk how you missed so much. Cory says that he isn't going to the funeral. Then his mother breaks it down for him. Then the have a moment when Troy appears when the sun shines down on them. That's when Cory realizes what his father did for him. Troy failed at a criminal life, then as a baseball player. He makes a modest living as a garbage man. He pushes Cory to get ahead in the work forces so that he would not have the same fate he did. Troy did not have a male figure in his life. He tries the best way he can to mode Cory into a man because he failed with his first son. It was common in those times for a man to illegitimate children across town. The cheating was unfortunate, but in the 1950s that was a common reality for black woman. Rose is symbol of what strong black women were in those days Troy did what he set out to do. He provided for his family, in spite of racism. He was not perfect but he did not fail his family.