Femi Kuti: "Nigerian is a colonial identity"

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Colonialism did set standards, for example the women had a political voice (in Igbo tribes) before colonialism occurred, once colonialism did occur the women were removed from the picture. There's an article written about it in which they talk about the process of "sitting on a man" and the results being Englishmen opening fire and killing 50 women because they didn't understand this form of protest, in which the women had been participating in before they had arrived. They actually figured the men had set them up to it.

They had rulers, but they also had systems that were set up that focused more on majority vote, like a parliament. When Europeans arrived, they figured that it was all based on one leader and a "chief" and so they elected chiefs and put them into place so that they could collect taxes.

Rule of law was there, but again, colonialism also enforced another rule of law. And I know they had their own religions, they also had Islam as well, and Christianity became a fact after the British came.
For other kingdoms like the ashanti and dahomey kingdom) there was always a paramount ruler. and tribal unity for the most part

but yeah, if im not mistaken there wasnt really much of an Igbo Unity or identity until relatively recently which is probably why they were so easily penatrable thus being heavily affected during the slave trade. but I may be wrong about that. I the same could be said for the Ewe People.

and tribal identities (or klans) existed well before european contact.

Anwulika

All Star
Daps
For other kingdoms like the ashanti and dahomey kingdom) there was always a paramount ruler. and tribal unity for the most part

but yeah, if im not mistaken there wasnt really much of an Igbo Unity or identity until relatively recently which is probably why they were so easily penatrable thus being heavily affected during the slave trade. but I may be wrong about that. I the same could be said for the Ewe People.

and tribal identities (or klans) existed well before european contact.

I can only speak for the Igbo as I am Igbo; it's not completely wrong to say that there was no unity amongst the various Igbo clans as many neighbouring villages were constantly at war with one another. However, there was also a lot of trade being conducted between many Igbo communities. It was even encouraged for people to marry from a neighbouring clan/village and this practice is still being done today e.g. I am not allowed to marry anyone from either one of my mother's or father's clans even if I'm not closely related to them as that's an abomination. This built up lasting relations between the different clans and villages as they were bonded by blood. The main reason for the abundance of Igbo slaves was due to the Aro Confederacy, they were simply more skilled in war than most villages, who were usually more skilled in trade, and so were able to exploit that to their advantage.

Sorry for the long post, I got a bit carried away.

• Dap
Reactions: Dip