Femi Kuti: "Nigerian is a colonial identity"

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
they existed, but not in the standard that colonialism set.
This is waaaaaaaay off base. Tribal structure for the most part in many places haven't changed since pre colonial times. The traditional ways weren't abandoned. You have anecdotal evidence. This doesn't apply to the whole continue of people. Not even remotely

There were always chiefs and tribal councils of elders. Chiefs did not come from colonialism. A lot of tribes also had secular religions so a transition to Christianity wasn't a stretch. The ones that had a hard time were tribes with more mystical beliefs.

Poh SIti Dawn

Staying Positive, Getting Better Everyday. Holler!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is waaaaaaaay off base. Tribal structure for the most part in many places haven't changed since pre colonial times. The traditional ways weren't abandoned. You have anecdotal evidence. This doesn't apply to the whole continue of people. Not even remotely

There were always chiefs and tribal councils of elders. Chiefs did not come from colonialism. A lot of tribes also had secular religions so a transition to Christianity wasn't a stretch. The ones that had a hard time were tribes with more mystical beliefs.
that's not true, in a sense it was but in a sense it wasn't. Communities weren't all alike among Nigeria in it's vastness, they differed. Muslims up north and people like the Igbos down thurr. The way that the communities were constructed in the south were constructed in the image of the north, in places like Igboland they didn't have chiefs, they had elders, after England took control they had warrant chiefs.

THE WARRANT CHIEF SYSTEM IN EASTERN NIGERIA: DIRECT OR INDIRECT RULE? on JSTOR

I don't think I said chiefs came from colonialism, the word chief did though. The Chief system in the south came from Colonialism as I mentioned about if it wasn't a part of their living until then.