Fellas if you could do ya life over. Would you get in tha industry?

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
shyt is easier than ever nowadays. :mjpls:

All you really gotta do is study pro-tools/fruity loops for a couple of years.

If you could go back to 16 how would you play it out? I would work on my skills for 4 years. Then get on my network grind at 20. I would prolly be plugged in at 24.

I used to think shyt was hard. Until Ive seen this kid i used to go to school with go from typical white boy to underground NY artist in a matter of 6 months :skip:

With the internet it is so easy to eat. Home boy got a million views on worldstar, 100,000 views on youtube, and is doing songs with Cory Gunz. Opening for Mobb deep and J.Cole. Touring all over the country eating good. He is like 23 and is prolly seeing close to 6 figures off that touring shyt. shyt is funny to me. He even doing interviews with DJ enuff at Hot 97. I was making fun of this kid like 2 semesters ago :dwillhuh:

ProducerHQ

So lets say hypothetically you a had 100% shot of making it. Would you guys quit ya jobs and go for it. Or do ya love what you are doing in life right now :shaq:

TYBG

Ditty Dum Ditty Doo
Supporter
Daps
Producer....you'll have a longer career plus you don't have to worry as much about beef. Can change up your style too if you want

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
A producer
Make mad $$$'s without having my face out in the public.

Word either that or a A&R you still have access to all the bad bytches who think they are gonna use you to make themselves famous.

This nikka Stevie J still getting residual p*ssy for songs he produced a decade ago :lawd:

Last edited:

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
Its never too late to be a producer either. 9th wonder blew up at 28 :mjpls:

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
you make it sound a lot easier than it is...

Nah brehh, it IS that easy nowadays. Just find your ass a A&R who will shop ya shyt to a independent company. And use their resources to push your numbers on the internet and on blogs. Why do you think Mac Miller has like 10 million views on Youtube :rudy:

The internet has trully leveled the hip hop industry.

You can use Youtube to self teach yourself how to produce. Make a couple of songs off Protools. And push yourself on facebook and twitter.

Shiit thats how most of the new up and commers got on. Lex Luger, Hit-boy, Drake, Wiz, boi-1da, they all attribute their start to either myspace or twitter.

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
fukk a producer I'd wanna be a huge rap star. Drop a few classic mixtapes that have "real hip hop" then when the internet has built my buzz I'd sell out on my debut call it Illmatic 2 and get everyone to talk. Then take the LMFAO Flo Rida route and party and make millions off of one song and coast.

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
Nah brehh, it IS that easy nowadays. Just find your ass a A&R who will shop ya shyt to a independent company. And use their resources to push your numbers on the internet and on blogs. Why do you think Mac Miller has like 10 million views on Youtube :rudy:

The internet has trully leveled the hip hop industry.

You can use Youtube to self teach yourself how to produce. Make a couple of songs off Protools. And push yourself on facebook and twitter.

Shiit thats how most of the new up and commers got on. Lex Luger, Hit-boy, Drake, Wiz, boi-1da, they all attribute their start to either myspace or twitter.

that's if you want to be some sort of crappy, run in the mill, producer/rapper/rockstar. which, if you choose that route, you know you're gonna have a million other copycats doing the same formula which decreases your chances of getting put on. you have to realize too when you're dealing with an art form, you don't live in a vacuum, there are a ton of other elements at play. nothing is easy about any of that stuff. you can't just say that you're gonna work with pro-tools or fruity loops for 4 years and all of the sudden you'll be good enough. the only time i think that would work is if you actually attempted to study other artists and took it upon yourself to do that without any external influence forcing you to study, which most people don't because they think things are (or should be) "easy", or they're lazy, or they lack dedication.

i mean, take for instance what i do. i literally take solos from other jazz musicians and work on them an hour each day, bit by bit, phrase by phrase, working slowly and meticulously to make sure i replicate exactly what's being played, from tone to timing to notes to expression. sometimes i get no further than a 20-30 seconds in a 5-8 minute long solo. not only do i remember what's being played, i have to think about what they're playing theoretically so i can apply it to my own playing and so i have a greater understanding. and just because i do that, it doesn't mean that it'll come out in my playing immediately or in the same fashion. it's a crap shoot because you never know exactly how you're brain is going to process any of that. the point is you have to constantly be in a state of taking in inspiration and processing it. and that process i described earlier, after i finish a whole solo, i then go back and write it down. and this is just one area of my practice routine. i still haven't touched on how i work on developing my technique or just ways i improve my general approach to playing the saxophone properly. then you have to learn songs, etc. mind you, i haven't even talked about the business side of music.

now, i imagine the life of a rapper/producer/rockstar is slightly easier than that but its rare that the laziest, most non committed person gets put on. so, either way, you're gonna have to put in some serious work if you really want to get put on...

villain

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
berlin
producer no doubt

most freedom to do whatever you want and still get paid well. Just make sure you ain't gettin jerked on some Bangladesh shyt