Favorite Power Rangers Series ?

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
They're playing episodes of Time Force on the Roku Channel right now, but they're skipping episodes. Made me want to go back and watch the whole season from start to finish.

Time Force holds up surprisingly well 20+ years later, especially in terms of its score and production values. It has the same feel as any of those pulp syndicated sci-fi shows from the late 90s/early 2000s, like Star Trek DS9 and Voyager, Andromeda, Lexx, or Babylon 5. Saban had planned on Time Force being a huge deal with 52 episodes and a movie, which obviously didn't happen, but you can feel that they put a lot of effort in making Time Force look good (by 2001 standards anyway). It's the perfect season to watch on a lazy Saturday like this.

It obviously doesn't have the maturity of writing that any of those shows have, and you can see how they're fighting to fit the kids' show format, like how they awkwardly avoid saying "die" or "killed," or in the finale when Wes and Jen tell each other they love each other but don't even kiss. :francis:
9/11 sort of played a part in that as well as a lot of aspects of the show had to stripped down or removed altogether. It's why I think they didn't go through with killing Erik like his sentai counterpart eventhough it was rumored they did film the scene.

It's one of those seasons that could benefit from being shown today when they could be more loose with those type of things.

That season should have ended with Jen staying in the past to fit with the theme of the season in controlling your own destiny.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
9/11 sort of played a part in that as well as a lot of aspects of the show had to stripped down or removed altogether.

Yep. A perfect example of this is episode four, "Ransik Lives," where Ransik hijacks a TV station to give a terrorist speech.

It originally aired before 9/11, but when they reaired it on Fox Kids after they cut out Ransik's speech and dubbed over it with the Time Force theme instrumental. :francis:

Even now in the official DVD and streaming releases, they took out the scene of a mutant destroying a building and replaced it with it destroying a mountain.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
Yep. A perfect example of this is episode four, "Ransik Lives," where Ransik hijacks a TV station to give a terrorist speech.

It originally aired before 9/11, but when they reaired it on Fox Kids after they cut out Ransik's speech and dubbed over it with the Time Force theme instrumental. :francis:

Even now in the official DVD and streaming releases, they took out the scene of a mutant destroying a building and replaced it with it destroying a mountain.

didn't they also replace the time shadow over the twin towers-like building in favor of Q-Rex, even in eps neither Eric/Quantum/Q-Rex were introduced

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
Rewatching some Turbo scenes....

This might be one of the coolest designs of a zord even tho it feels weird being in the Zord Era

Basically....

You get to drive a cold as fukk maxed out corvette and it just transforms into a Godzilla sized car....So now you driving a godzilla sized corvette

That's prolly the coolest ass shyt ever....except Adam though, he got a bum ass minivan

:heh:

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've been having a blast watching random episodes on the Roku channel.

They're playing the Sophie episodes of SPD right now. This is exactly why I don't fukk with this season. Not only are the rangers fukking a$$holes (as they are all season), they're racist as shyt too. Demeaning this poor cyborg girl right in front of her face, to the point where she can't even reveal her true identity because she knows she'll be demeaned for her race (sound familiar?)

Yeah, she snuck in and tried to hack into the computers, but only because their systems were corrupted and she couldn't tell them she was a cyborg and could fix it easily, for the aforementioned reasons.

When they kick her out, Sky (who definitely would have been MAGA if he had been old enough to vote in 2016), goes, "We got rid of her--no, we got rid of it :smugbiden:" which is problematic in so many ways in 2023, just two years before this season takes place. It was to the point where even Kruger went :whoa:.

And Sky even admits that there are cyborgs all over the city, so they were just being exceedingly racist for no reason. Just like some fukking cops. :mjpls:

This is the shyt I've been saying for the last 18 years. I ain't fukking with no season where the Power Rangers are cops just because they made a breh with dreads the red ranger (which is a whole other set of problems with this season). :ufdup:

Last edited:

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
I've been having a blast watching random episodes on the Roku channel.

They're playing the Sophie episodes of SPD right now. This is exactly why I don't fukk with this season. Not only are the rangers fukking a$$holes (as they are all season), they're racist as shyt too. Demeaning this poor cyborg girl right in front of her face, to the point where she can't even reveal her true identity because she knows she'll be demeaned for her race (sound familiar?)

Yeah, she snuck in and tried to hack into the computers, but only because they're systems were corrupted and she couldn't tell them she was a cyborg and could fix it easily, for the aforementioned reasons.

When they kick her out, Sky (who definitely would have been MAGA if he had been old enough to vote in 2016), goes, "We got rid of her--no, we got rid of it :smugbiden:" which is problematic in so many ways in 2023, just two years before this season takes place.

And Sky even admits that there are cyborgs all over the city, so they were just being exceedingly racist for no reason. Just like some fukking cops. :mjpls:

This is the shyt I've been saying for the last 18 years. I ain't fukking with no season where the Power Rangers are cops just because they made a breh with dreads the red ranger (which is a whole other set of problems with this season). :ufdup:
SPD is a weird season as the first half is top 3 ranger seasons, but the second half fell off a cliff as it was said that they were saving the budget that for that Omni fight. Those cats were definitely a$$holes and there wasn't enough character development in the end to change it.

Jack is a different discussion altogether as Kruger essentially forced him into that role even when he knew from the beginning that his heart wasn't into it. He only even donned the suit anyways because he saw his friend in trouble.

Not to mention he was essentially used as a stopgap until Skye was ready for that role.

Grifter

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Watching
Clicked on a react video for someone going thru the seasons, don't know how long they'll last. But I noticed different dialogue and stock footage in the 1st episode. :what: Think it was for the Go run they tried to do.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
One of the biggest problems with SPD is that none of the characters learn anything. Either they'll learn a lesson in one episode, forget it and have to learn it again, or they'll learn a lesson and completely contradict what they just learned in a later episode.

In the Sam two-parter, the rangers lament being discriminated against as kids for having powers, only to demean and discriminate against Sophie for being a cyborg. :francis:

When Kruger becomes the Shadow Ranger, the other rangers decide to hang back and let him do all the work. Kruger decides to teach them a lesson by not intervening while they're getting their asses kicked, telling them that they have all the tools do defeat the monster and can't just rely on one weapon or one ranger to save them.

A few episodes later, Jack whines that Kruger won't let him use the Shadow Saber, saying that he could both beat Kruger in training and defeat the monster if he had it. Kruger decides to teach Jack a lesson by giving him a fake Shadow Saber without Jack knowing about it, and after Jack defeats the monster, Kruger tells him that he had all the tools to defeat the monster and can't just rely on one weapon or one ranger to save him. :francis:

When Sam comes from the future, he tells the other rangers to just sit back and watch while he takes on the monsters, because his future powers are so much more advanced than theirs and they'll just get in his way. Then he gets his ass kicked and the rangers have to save him.

When the Dino Thunder rangers get pulled into the future, the SPD rangers tell them to just sit back and watch while they take on the monsters, because the SPD powers are so much more advanced than theirs and the DT rangers will just get in their way. Then the SPD rangers get their asses kicked and the Dino Thunder rangers have to save them. :francis:

I don't recall if this was ever confirmed, but the discussion back when SPD was airing was that a lot of this had to do with the fact that Dekaranger was an episodic police Sentai with standalone episodes and no main villain, and SPD tried to add a season-long arc and main villain with Grumm. But Disney wanted the show to be more episodic like the Sentai, so they could show the episodes out of order like they did with their other Disney shows, and that's why the rangers' character developments keep resetting after every episode. It would also explain why the story arc only develops in the first four episodes and the last four episodes, while the thirty episodes in the middle just ignore it. Also the fact that the DT team up was split into two unrelated episodes, with "Wormhole" meant to be a DVD exclusive that could be aired on TV whenever.

I think Greg Aronowitz confirmed this in an episode of Rangercast, but the episodes of that podcast are long gone at this point.

Last edited:

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
How's the new joint? I thought DinoCharge was dope and hated Ninja Steel.

Beast Morphers I watched half and thought it was cool so I'll prolly go back and fnish.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
The season was not too bad although it kind of tailed off towards the end especially the finale. It didn't have that true endgame feel even with the Rita cameo nor the final villain fight like we’re used to. Them not using the Kyruranger costumes was very noticeable during the zord fights as they used random colors with no real explanation whatsoever. Definitely short zord fights compared to what we’re used to.

Zayto definitely got demoted, which a lot of people weren’t happy with for obvious reasons, but they did do a decent job in the explanation and the passing of the torch.

It was dope getting "Zordon" back in the last episode, but I kind of wish they would have went the bold route in severing the ties to the morphing grid for all power rangers since it's going to be full on reboot from all indications going forward. It would have been controversial to the fans, but made total storyline sense since we've seen rangers before make those type of sacrifices and losing powers in the process.

They played it a bit too safe IMO and should have all out since this is the last Power Rangers we’re getting for a while.

Also, this took place after Once and Always according to the showrunner, which makes the end scene with Billy even more weird.

Last edited:

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The season was not too bad although it kind of tailed off towards the end especially the finale. It didn't have that true endgame feel even with the Rita cameo nor the final villain fight like we’re used to. Them not using the Kyruranger costumes was very noticeable during the zord fights as they used random colors with no real explanation whatsoever. Definitely short zord fights compared to what we’re used to.

Zayto definitely got demoted, which a lot of people weren’t happy with for obvious reasons, but they did do a decent job in the explanation and the passing of the torch.

It was dope getting "Zordon" back in the last episode, but I kind of wish they would have went the bold route in severing the ties to the morphing grid for all power rangers since it's going to be full on reboot from all indications going forward. It would have been controversial to the fans, but made total storyline sense since we've seen rangers before make those type of sacrifices and losing powers in the process.

They played it a bit too safe IMO and should have all out since this is the last Power Rangers we’re getting for a while.

Also, this took place after Once and Always according to the showrunner, which makes the end scene with Billy even more weird.
I pretty much agree with everything you said. What's really weird about this is that it was actually shot before Once and Always, but it seems like the end of Cosmic Fury is meant to lead directly into it.

But we do see a yellow ranger in the megazord, so it would have had to have been Minh, because Trini died in 2022 and this takes place in 2023.

Also, Billy's attempt to reconstitute the Z-wave to revive Zordon in Once and Always wouldn't have made much sense if it took place after Cosmic Fury, because Billy would have seen firsthand how it could have backfired.

There was a lot of discourse about how Zayto got demoted, and it definitely feels that way. He was basically a reconstituted corpse in this season. :francis: He wasn't even in episodes two and three, and the credits starting in episode 4 demote him to second and Amelia first.

They did do a decent job making Amelia feel like the lead. She took charge immediately after Zayto got blasted into deep space, and was basically "Team Mom," but this feels inconsistent with how she was written in Dino Fury. They brought up her whole conspiracy theory obsession and I was like, "Oh yeah, she did have that."

Really wish they would have made Fern the Orange Ranger sooner than episode six. I guess that extra morpher Billy made was for when Ollie eventually turned good, but it made no sense to have Fern on the ship for so long unpowered and in danger.

Speaking of that, while it was cool to see Mick and Billy and Heckyl in the Talon Ranger suit (we never actuallly saw it in Dino Charge, only in the Boom comics), but I wish they would have just made new Cosmic Fury suits for them. They had more than enough Zords for them, and their suits clashed with those awful Cosmic Fury suits.

The finale is anticlimactic AF. A lot of the emotional beats are lacking, probably because it's only ten episodes, essentially a miniseries by PR standards. When Zayto goes into the grid in episode 9 you're supposed to feel :mjcry: but I just felt :ld:. And the ending when they convince Zedd to give up his power and stop the wave was just :what:. I just finished the episode not even five minutes ago, but I don't quite get WTF they did to stop it.

Since they're rebooting the franchise anyway, they already had an out--send the tube into the grid and let it go off. Since the Morphin Grid cannot be destroyed, only rangers' connection can be severed, let the wave sever every past rangers' connection to the grid. Then you've perfectly set up the reboot with a new team and no past rangers, but you could still play fast and loose with whether it takes place is the main universe.

It was cool that it was Zordon's voice in Zayto's body, but again if this takes place before Once and Always it's just more confusing.

It shouldn't surprise me since so much of the Hasbro era (short as it was) has been, "Hey, let's try to fix canon," but they finally explained how SPD fits in timeline. :gladbron: We've been wondering where the fukk the aliens were for years as we've gotten closer to 2025 when SPD takes place.

Doesn't really explain what if any connection there if any there is between SPD and Grid Battleforce tho, since the two organizations really shouldn't coexist in the same universe since their goals conflict with each other so much. :jbhmm:

Last edited:

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
if i jump into these 10 eps, would i be lost if i haven't watched anything? lol

the lil tidbits you guys have said intrigues me

but I don't really wanna watch 2 seasons worth of 40 eps first haha