• Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Votes: 4 4.8%

• Total voters

Jonah

XBOT Suicide Prevention Squad
Daps
Reppin
Cali Crew
I haven't played 4 or 5 since I don't own a next-gen console. The OG MGS has the goat bosses, story, and atmosphere, bu I think 2 and 3 have it beat if we're going PURELY on gameplay and nothing else. Yeah, Snake >>>>>> Raiden, but the improvements with the overall gameplay and the guard AI in those 2nd and 3rd games are just :wow:

* You could hang off of ledges and shimmy across walkways.
* You could roll into enemies or into a crawling position.
* You could hide in lockers to avoid detection.
* You could stuff your enemies into the lockers after knocking them out or killing them.
* You could aim in first person
* You could hold up guards and take their stuff.
* 2 and 3 gave us nonlethal weapons like tranquilizer guns, etc.
* Choking guards out was actually a viable tactic.
* 3 also gave us CQC, including the ability to slam enemies and interrogate them for info.
* MGS3 gave us the ability to poison guards with rotten food.
* In MGS3, you can also distract enemies with dirty magazines and empty ammo clips.
Many of those things originated with 2 except maybe the CQC & Food related stuff.

You could distract guards in MGS 2 with magazines & throw ammo as well. :ehh: Wasn't limited to just 3.
As a lifelong fan of the series I never really understood why 3 got the level of praise it does. It’s a fantastic game...but....I don’t put it above 1,4, or 5. Yeah...I said it. F-O-U-R. :leostare:
3's Story was just very shallow :hhh: It felt like a dumbed down MG game made for childrem... Which is probably why it became popular, now that I think about it...:wow:

Kojima wasn't beating the player over the head with Anti-War themes as much in MGS 3, and everything else was played for laughs... :picard: The game is completely different in tone compared to most other Kojima games that came before it (Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear, Metal Gear Solid, etc). I think the only actual event in MGS3 that feels like a Kojima product would be the Sorrow Fight where Kojima is chastising the player for unnecessary killing. which is something he did in MGS 1 & MGS 2 albeit through dialogue.

[The conversation between Raiden & Snake after He reveals that "Iriquois Plissken was an alias" and that He is not a hero, just a killer]

There is even the lack of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder plot points that MGS 1 & 2 brought up on occasion... It became part of MGS2's subplot involving Raiden's "Jack the Ripper" persona.

:francis: MGS 3 was not a good "MGS" game much like RE4 was not a good "RE" game

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just came back in to share that Metal Gear 2 (the MSX game) is crack :wow:

Played it on the MGS3 Subsistence bonus disc. The game holds up surprisingly well. The level design and music were better, the guards patrol multiple screens, you can crawl, knock on walls to lure guards, your footsteps can alert guards in certain parts… it really plays like a 2D Metal Gear Solid. The OG Metal Gear (MSX) is pretty outdated, but 2 is legit.

MurderToCassette

Sa Da Tay
Daps
Reppin
I am comfortable and I love you
My brain wants to say MGS for PSX, but my heart says MGS2 cause its one of the first PS2 games I had and I played it to death. Plus a lot of what it predicted 20 years ago is coming to pass.

Nuff respect to 3 and 4 as well