Votes: 4 4.8%

• Total voters

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Daps
My personal favorite is MGS2
giphy.gif

:whoa: I also love 1,3,& 4
Nothing wrong with that, it had one of the dopest game intro's ever and I thought Vamp was a cool villain also.

ad437c4bd0993f3e45a115b798f16322245325c9_hq.gif

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I got back into MGS3 Subsistence recently before seeing this thread again. Going for another foxhound run :win:
Wondering if it's worth playing through 2 again. It's a good game, but I miss playing as Snake :mjcry:
I don't have that one as memorized as MGS3 either, so I'm not going for that top rank.

One dope thing about the second and third games is the level of tactical depth. You can sneak up on guards, hold them up, choke them out, stuff them in lockers, poison them with rotten food, distract them with noise, etc.

But the guards have tactics too in both of those games. They don't only investigate noises and footprints like the first one. They'll form search teams to investigate the lockers, walk over to check out any strange sights and sounds, etc. If they know you're under something, they'll throw a grenade down there to flush you out. They can see your shadow from around corners. They'll call reinforcements if they get suspicious, see dead bodies, or realize they're under attack. The attention to detail is just :wow:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
As a lifelong fan of the series I never really understood why 3 got the level of praise it does. It’s a fantastic game...but....I don’t put it above 1,4, or 5. Yeah...I said it. F-O-U-R. :leostare:

I haven't played 4 or 5 since I don't own a next-gen console. The OG MGS has the goat bosses, story, and atmosphere, bu I think 2 and 3 have it beat if we're going PURELY on gameplay and nothing else. Yeah, Snake >>>>>> Raiden, but the improvements with the overall gameplay and the guard AI in those 2nd and 3rd games are just :wow:

* You could hang off of ledges and shimmy across walkways.
* You could roll into enemies or into a crawling position.
* You could hide in lockers to avoid detection.
* You could stuff your enemies into the lockers after knocking them out or killing them.
* You could aim in first person
* You could hold up guards and take their stuff.
* 2 and 3 gave us nonlethal weapons like tranquilizer guns, etc.
* Choking guards out was actually a viable tactic.
* 3 also gave us CQC, including the ability to slam enemies and interrogate them for info.
* MGS3 gave us the ability to poison guards with rotten food.
* In MGS3, you can also distract enemies with dirty magazines and empty ammo clips.

All these tactics you couldn't use in the OG game. :whoo:
(I know a lot of this was retroactively added to the Twin Snakes remake, but they messed up by not redesigning the levels with these abilities in mind, since having all of those new moves and abilities in the first one makes everything way too easy.)

On top of that, the enemies in 2 and 3 were a lot smarter.
Yeah, they still investigated out-of-place boxes and followed footprints and suspicious noises like in the original, but in addition to that:
- they'll use their radios to call reinforcements if they see, hear, or even smell anything suspicious.
- If they see dead bodies, they'll kick it up to maximum security and call for reinforcements.
- When searching for the player, they'll summon whole squads to check every nook and cranny of the level. They use actual tactics, even setting up actual positions to spot and ambush you.
- When attacking, they'll try to flank you and cut off your escape routes. Some of them even come in with heavy weapons/armor and riot shields.
- If they know you're hiding under something, they'll toss grenades under there to flush you out.

One can argue that the other games were better when it cames to bosses, music, the storyline, and the atmosphere, but IMO MGS3 has the GOAT stealth gameplay and the best tactical depth out of any game in the series. I suppose you could put MGS2 up there as well.

Snake >>>>> Raiden as a character, but the overall advancements in the gameplay between that jump from MGS1 to MGS2 was nothing short of amazing. And that's no shade against MGS1, because it's still a classic and one of the absolue best games ever made. I just wish there could have been at least ONE more game about Solid Snake in his prime before Kojima left...

Last edited:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I haven't played 4 or 5 since I don't own a next-gen console. The OG MGS has the goat bosses, story, and atmosphere, bu I think 2 and 3 have it beat if we're going PURELY on gameplay and nothing else. Yeah, Snake >>>>>> Raiden, but the improvements with the overall gameplay and the guard AI in those 2nd and 3rd games are just :wow:

* You could hang off of ledges and shimmy across walkways.
* You could roll into enemies or into a crawling position.
* You could hide in lockers to avoid detection.
* You could stuff your enemies into the lockers after knocking them out or killing them.
* You could aim in first person
* You could hold up guards and take their stuff.
* 2 and 3 gave us nonlethal weapons like tranquilizer guns, etc.
* Choking guards out was actually a viable tactic.
* 3 also gave us CQC, including the ability to slam enemies and interrogate them for info.
* MGS3 gave us the ability to poison guards with rotten food.
* In MGS3, you can also distract enemies with dirty magazines and empty ammo clips.

All these tactics you couldn't use in the OG game. :whoo:
(I know a lot of this was retroactively added to the Twin Snakes remake, but they messed up by not redesigning the levels with these abilities in mind, since having all of those new moves and abilities in the first one makes everything way too easy.)

On top of that, the enemies in 2 and 3 were a lot smarter.
Yeah, they still investigated out-of-place boxes and followed footprints and suspicious noises like in the original, but in addition to that:
- they'll use their radios to call reinforcements if they see, hear, or even smell anything suspicious.
- If they see dead bodies, they'll kick it up to maximum security and call for reinforcements.
- When searching for the player, they'll summon whole squads to check every nook and cranny of the level. They use actual tactics, even setting up actual positions to spot and ambush you.
- When attacking, they'll try to flank you and cut off your escape routes. Some of them even come in with heavy weapons/armor and riot shields.
- If they know you're hiding under something, they'll toss grenades under there to flush you out.

One can argue that the other games were better when it cames to bosses, music, the storyline, and the atmosphere, but IMO MGS3 has the GOAT stealth gameplay and the best tactical depth out of any game in the series. I suppose you could put MGS2 up there as well.

Snake >>>>> Raiden as a character, but the overall advancements in the gameplay between that jump from MGS1 to MGS2 was nothing short of amazing. And that's no shade against MGS1, because it's still a classic and one of the absolue best games ever made. I just wish there could have been at least ONE more game about Solid Snake in his prime before Kojima left...
I respect that

Jonah

XBOT Suicide Prevention Squad
Daps
Reppin
Cali Crew
2, nothing will ever top 2.

1 & 4 are close seconds.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Snake Eater followed closely by Sons of Liberty.

Guns of The Patriots and peacemaker are tied for third. One thing I’ve noticed that puts me off about Guns of The Patriots is the color gradation. There’s some weird sepia filter over it that makes it extremely ugly looking.

Hopefully if they do a remaster or remake eventually they due away with those ugly colors

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
MGS1. Anyone who was old enough when it dropped understand how groundbreaking that game was. I was literally blown away. Even had chicks in my school talkin bout that shyt when it dropped.