Fat Joe speaks on Black people having a crabs in the barrel mentality

Manolo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I hate that he’s right but he is. I just ended a business partnership with a nikka I knew for 10 years because he kept trying to compete with and outshine me instead of just playing his role. I kept addressing it, he’d apologize, then do some more envious shyt, then rinse and repeat. But this is the same nikka who’s all smiles and takes the bass out his voice around cacs. It’s insane

sayyestothis

Free the guys
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD "The Greatest City In America"
This “crabs in a barrel” cliche is played out and doesnt make sense

1. Crabs don’t live in vertical environments, they live on the horizontal sea floor which means whatever removed them from their natural habitat is causing a change in their behavior that is unnatural. So using the analogy, the better question would be who put black people (crabs) in the barrel in the first place?

2. Crabs are not attempting to pull each other down as the analogy suggests, they’re in survival mode and are trying to grab onto anything that could potentially allow them to escape the barrel. The same way a drowning person would unintentionally drown someone trying to save them.

It’s funny how the analogy focuses on the crabs fight for survival and never the fisherman who put the crabs in the barrel. :sas2:

Another lesson to be learned: The best thing for the crabs is to avoid the fisherman. :sas1:
The fukking saying involves them in a bucket wtf is this analysis

xXOGLEGENDXx

Superstar
Daps
This “crabs in a barrel” cliche is played out and doesnt make sense

1. Crabs don’t live in vertical environments, they live on the horizontal sea floor which means whatever removed them from their natural habitat is causing a change in their behavior that is unnatural. So using the analogy, the better question would be who put black people (crabs) in the barrel in the first place?

2. Crabs are not attempting to pull each other down as the analogy suggests, they’re in survival mode and are trying to grab onto anything that could potentially allow them to escape the barrel. The same way a drowning person would unintentionally drown someone trying to save them.

It’s funny how the analogy focuses on the crabs fight for survival and never the fisherman who put the crabs in the barrel. :sas2:

Another lesson to be learned: The best thing for the crabs is to avoid the fisherman. :sas1:
Tell us you don't understand what a metaphor is without telling us you don't understand what a metaphor is brehs

that guy

Superstar
Daps
The fukking saying involves them in a bucket wtf is this analysis
I don’t know how I can make this any more remedial. :whoa:

The saying implies black people don’t want to see each other succeed and we sabotage one another in order to keep another black person from elevating above one other. It also implies crabs in a bucket pull each other down intentionally so that all crabs meet the same fate. It’s used as a derogatory metaphor for black people.

That metaphor is not an accurate observation of the behavior of crabs in a barrel. The behavior of pulling each other down is not observed in their natural habitat therefore any negative behavior is due to the fisherman that captured the crabs. Crabs pull each other back into the bucket out of desperation, not out of envy of another crab almost escaping.

The metaphor should be used to describe how white supremacy alters the behavior of its victims, not to denigrate black people.

xXOGLEGENDXx

Superstar
Daps
I don’t know how I can make this any more remedial. :whoa:

The saying implies black people don’t want to see each other succeed and we sabotage one another in order to keep another black person from elevating above one other. It also implies crabs in a bucket pull each other down intentionally so that all crabs meet the same fate. It’s used as a derogatory metaphor for black people.

That metaphor is not an accurate observation of the behavior of crabs in a barrel. The behavior of pulling each other down is not observed in their natural habitat therefore any negative behavior is due to the fisherman that captured the crabs. Crabs pull each other back into the bucket out of desperation, not out of envy of another crab almost escaping.

The metaphor should be used to describe how white supremacy alters the behavior of its victims, not to denigrate black people.
Breh you can't be this slow.

A metaphor is not used to compare the inner workings of both contrasting things in discussion. Crabs in the bucket/barrel is used because we can clearly see crabs in a bucket pulling other crabs down to get to the top. It's the physical visual action. Nobody cares why the crabs are doing it.

We are not saying, "X people have a crabs in the barrel mentality, because we have psycho analyzed crabs and understand their reasoning for climbing out a barrel and identified similar traits in people" No. We psycho analyzed humans and to illustrate what was analyzed, we used crabs in barrel because it best paints the picture we want to see.

It's like when someone sees an incredibly beautiful woman, but she has children. So someone says,

"That's like buying a Benz with 300K miles on it."

That metaphor is used to illustrate how her value isn't high. But using your logic, that metaphor wouldn't make sense, because the psychology of a person buying a vehicle isn't the same as the psychology of a person wanting to get the beautiful woman.

It's in the definition

Metaphor
noun
a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.